Marvel comics: Variant VS regular cover is it me or...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by deceptifocus, Nov 7, 2007.

1. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    do the regular covers LOOK better than the variants as of late...i usually buy the variants but lately the regular covers look better and am torn between which to buy, variants are cool but i swear lately they look pretty crappy or is it just me :( 

2. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm getting fed up with all the viariant zombie covers on titles that have nothing to do with Marvel Zombies.

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I buy one issue.
    Since there is so much crap out there I often think that's too much and have been cutting back on my titles.

The variant cover business is horrid. I remember when I started collecting taking pride in the numerical consistency of my collection. Now there is far too much research involved with determine where in the past an issue sits and whether or not the content is apart of my collection. Screwed up numbering systems and variant covers have contributed to this mess.

Booo.

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I usually pick my favorite, but some times that is hard.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm sick of variants period. They've taken all the fun out of collecting comics. I miss the days when an issue was pricey because of the story or 1st app. of a character, and not because it has a different picture on the cover.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have never bought a higher priced variant. I like how IDW and some X-men books do and put out two different covers at the same price so you can choose.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The variants are just a quick way for comics retailers to charge more and marvel to get them to order more issues. I'd rather comics sell on the story not the cover. But we keep see more of this, and less of the well thought out stories.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll buy variants of TF comics, but that's mostly a vote-with-my-pocketbook-to-support-IDW thing. Same reason I don't wait for the TPBs, even though I usually don't get around to reading my comics until after the trades are out anyways.

With the Marvel stuff, I take what my guy pulls me. Sometimes it's the variant, sometimes it's not. I kinda don't care--except for 'sketch' covers (yeah, that's what I want, an unfinished version of the final product), I haven't noticed any consistent difference in quality between the two types.

9. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

Just be glad that every fifth issue isn't "gold holofoil" or "die cut" or "3D raised."

... whoa, total '90s flashback.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Give it time...give it time.

11. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That's what I was going to say.

...Of course, I still bought the Spider-Girl zombie varient....*hangs head in shame*

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah..now they save that for every 1:25 or 1:50. :p 

There's a shitload of 1:1 variants, but it seems like almost every title has a super rare foil/sketch/alternate cover...which is of course immediately pulled and sold for $20-50.

13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I thought Marvel's excuse for the zombie covers was for Halloween? (But in reality it's just to milk the cash cow.....)

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Don't worry the zombie variants will be replaced by Skrull varients probably.

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Yay!

...Wait....

16. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

You forgot Chromium.

Anyway, sometimes I can understand it. I do like the Astonishing X-Men ones and got a few of the Zombie ones. And at least lately most are making sense. Astonishing was to show each team member. Zombies was to prep the new Zombie book out the same month. Even One More Day covers are supposed to show different eras in comic covers for Spidey. Civil War and New Avengers were just crap ideas. Each issue from 1-12 had a variant for NA and every Civil War issues had one as well.

But don't forget, DC does it just as much. Every JLA issue from 1-9 had a variant, most of the GL Rebirth and regular series 1 and 7, JSA 1-7 I think had them. So don't just pin it on Marvel. Both Didio and Joe Q are responsible for this mess.

17. deceptifocus

Ebay:
    yeah i didnt get teh zombie thing either, ok MAYBE it was for halloween, but y not just put out JUST the zombie covers, that would make so much more sense, what gets me is how they just have diff artist renditions of the covers, and i always would prefer the variant artist, like for awhile on Wolverine Origins they utilize some awesome Joe Q covers vs some plain reg. artist cover.....but there are ALOT of variants that are second in quality to the original

i DO however only get the Ultimate Spiderman variant covers, like the ultimate spiderman zombie cover, it was on the wall on the store pick list at my comic shop, and yet was completely out on the shelf so i asked if i could have it and they gave it to me :) . i think most of these are a way for die hard marvel fans of certain books to have to buy two of the SAME book :/. the only other variants i like are B&W ones, somthing abt the black and white ones that intrigues me, like the last couple issues of wolverine ust looked more gritty and interesting to me

18. deceptifocus

Ebay:
    hah i would not doubt it

19. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Yeah, also Infinite Crisis had sketch variants, All Star Batman had Miller cover variants, the ACTION and BATMAN issues the Kuberts started their runs on had a variant, the Wildstorm relaunches had variants, and some of the OYL issues had variants.

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Black and white are actualy really nice sometimes. I think because it's different seeing a book without the coloring. Also, it's like a different comic. I picked up Punisher War Journal and the Wolverine death camp issue in Black and White.