Marvel and Live-Action TV

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Paladin, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Its the proverbial good news and bad news.

THE GOOD- Marvel is expressing interest in a live-action show about one of their heroes.

THE BAD- The hero in question is Moon Knight.

http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=4840

I'm all for the idea if it comes about, but... Moon Knight? I'd never even heard of that guy until playing Ultimate Alliance. I don't know if he can successfully carry a show.

2. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Actually he's been around a long time. He had one of the longer Infinity War Doppleganger fights known. (though it was one funny romp seeing so many different Moon Knight type characters)

I think he's in his 3rd series (correct me if I'm wrong) of Comics now too.

Though the big question will be Marc Spector or the Original Moon Knight?
    Only thing is I dunno if he has a rogues gallery so we may actually see some other characters pop up in this series. ( I'd be for seeing the Taskmaster kicking some ass and pwn'n loser gangbangers and the like.)

3. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

You're pretty much right--He had a regular series in the 80's, then it was halted and had a six-issue mini ("Fist of Khonshu") afterwards, then a new regular series in the 90's (Marc Spector: Moon Knight), then two mini-series and finally the current run.

? Moon Knight is Marc Spector, unless you're referring to how he has four personalities (MK, Spector, Jake Lockley, Steven Grant).

Moon Knight has a rogues gallery... Check out the early 80's stuff by Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz. It's small and not well-known, but notable.

There's the werewolf, Jack Russell (Moon Knight first appeared as a villain in the WEREWOLF BY NIGHT series), so Russell could be initially a foe then later ally. Also, in the BLADE TV show they made a reference to Marc Spector being an expert on werewolves, so they could try to tie into that.

There's the story of Marc Spector's brother Randall, who became a serial killer.

There's Black Spectre, a corrupt politician who was inspired by Moon Knight's actions to don a medieval outfit to put fear into the populace so that Black Spectre (in his civilian guise) would become mayor of New York.

And some others that might be usable for the show. I think they could really get some milage out of this, and I'm hoping they use the multiple personality thing Moon Knight used in the 80's.

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I wonder if it will tie into blade in anyway? The pilot episode of blade mentioned that Mark Spector hunted warewolves.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Doubtful considering Blade tanked.

I don't hold high hopes for this. Live-action TV shows based on comic books have never done very well without a big name (Superman, Batman, the Hulk) to back them up. My guess is this will quickly go the way of Blade and Birds of Prey.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Birds of Prey was a pretty good series. I think tying it in with batman was a bad idea, though. Blade should have been a great series. The retards that made it screwed the whole thing up. How can you have a show about a vampire hunter, and only have one fight in an entire episode? One fight where a single vampire gets killed. The 2 hour pilot was almost entirely talking. I didn't think Blade could ever be that boring.

Moon Knight has potential. Let's just hope they don't change everything like they were planning to do with Night Thrasher. I'm so glad we won't have to see that travesty.

7. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How can Moon Knight get the nod over Deadpool? How i ask you?

8. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

To me, Moon Kight is very much like the Batman of the Marvel Universe, so I think he might have a chance. Look at the recent success of the "Heroes" show. That's totally original (I think) and it's doing pretty well. I've always liked Moon Knight myself, so I'd definitely tune in...if it's done right...what's that? I dunno, but I'll know it when I see it.

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

FX for Deadpool would be arguablly far more costly over MK. That's all I can think of...I'm with you!

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Character with more history? Character who would work as a show better? Character who's more recognizable?

11. The Spider

Moon Knight has more history, but as much as I like the character I think that Deadpool might be more recognizable. Moon Knight's appearance in the 90's was his series (which ended in early 1994 and had really low orders at the time--it's why the Stephen Platt issues got high prices; nobody expected the fanbase for it), a return in a 1997 miniseries and a 1999 miniseries that was kind of low key, and appearance in that MARVEL KNIGHTS team.

Deadpool OTOH was introduced in a hugely popular comic book at the time (NEW MUTANTS) guest-appeared in also hugely high profile popular comic book (X-FORCE), had two mini-series afterwards, and had a regular series from 1997 all the way to 2002, had it turned into Agent X (which had the mystery of whether or not it was Deadpool), then placed in a co-starring role in CABLE AND DEADPOOL which is still running to this day.

12. The Spider

I don't think that they'll neccesarily tie it into Blade, but they could still keep the werewolf angle.

13. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel like Deadpool would work a show better than Moon Knight just for the humor side of his character. That's coming from my biased, never read Moon Knight opinion.

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Deadpool would probably work better as a cartoon.

15. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would rather see Supreme Power as a TV show, probably would have to be on HBO or FX though.

16. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Moon Knight could work, but I think a nice SHIELD series may do the trick as well.

17. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I'd rather a Deadpool series with guest appearances including Bea Arthur :p 

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Sorry, but BoP sucked balls. And not in a way that would get people to watch. The actual BoP comic has elements that I think were fine. Doing as BoP:The X Generation was just plain wrong. It bore such little resemblence to the comic that I have to think the show was just a desperate attempt by the WB to find a show to replace Buffy. Since the BoP comic was red hot at the time, and owned by Time Warner, it was a natural property to adapt.

Blade wasn't that bad- downright brilliant if put on a curve for Spike and other low-end cable shows. That it tanked is not necessarily an indicator of anything except that no one watches Spike.

Moon Knight I can get behind. When I was a kid I loved the FoK series. OK, the character can be a bit too much of a Batman rip off, but if WB isn't smart enough to realize Batman would make a great tv superhero/detective show, I don't mind going with Moon Knight. The fact that the character is relatively obscure and has had several interpretations will allow the creators a lot more leeway in bringing him to screen, without the usual legion of fans shouting "you got it all wrong! His underwear is always blue! Says so in issue 173!"

As for Deadpool, that's a creative decision. Different character with a totally different vibe. He might work, but I have to think these creators chose Moon Knight because they have a vision of how to make that character work. If this was SpiderMan, Wolverine, Batman, etc I would assume this is a corporate decision, a mandate to exploit a popular character. In this case I have to assume the success of Heroes has executives screaming for more superhero projects (because clearly they have not seen how well all the Lost rip offs have done), but I doubt anyone had Moon Knight thrust upon them (though weirder things have happened in Hollywood). Anyway... I see no reason why a Deadpool series couldn't be done with the right creative force behind it, but if these creators want Moon Knight, let them have Moon Knight.

19. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

Moonknight would work better as a live show than Deadpool.

I agree with Gryph that Deadpool is more suited as a cartoon. The better to animate the eyes on his mask to show expression. The overall show would have some "cartoony" elements to it, but be dark as well.

20. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Deadpool, yeah I see it working in the Adult Swim slot or HBO. ( I think it would be the only places to allow is naughty visions of Bea Arthur in his head)

Blade, yeah it didn't help the channel is a black screen on my tv. (dunno what happened)

BoP I actually enjoyed, it had more of an Earth 2 setup though. I think I finally dug it when Molly Sims (who played Harley?) finally said "Mr. J" and man she hit that well. Heck I was gonna buy the bootleg complete set of the series at my local con. (along with Megas XLR)

Sheild, after seeing Hasslehoff as Fury, well I would say go Ultimate version but, I don't know if Samuel L. Jackson would do it. (he'd be that Fury easily, him or Sisko of DS9 fame)

Now for the out there series that could work. D-MAN