Marvel admits it's killing characters to amp sales.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Newsarama.com : Hey, That's My Cape! – Marvel Killing Characters For Money?

More to come so they can sell more books. This will lead to more revivals and less sales. Hints Death of Ultimate Spider-man may not be misleading and many more deaths to come in fear it's self.

I personally am tired of this marketing trend in comics companies. It cheapens the characters, only has short term gains, but will cause many long time readers to drop books.

I'd rather read a good story than a poorly concieved stunt.

2. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I wonder how much Disney(if anything) has to do with this. I mean the late 90s saw a lot of gimmicks to try to save the industry after the crash, but even back then it didn't generate tons of new subscribers just spikes in demand for the controversial issues.

3. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I'll still take "Big Event Death & Return" stories over the cheap shock deaths DC has been pulling lately. The former is a cheap stunt, but can be pulled off well (Superman and Captain America. Not so much Batman), the latter is always fail. I am looking directly at you Cry for Justice.

4. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    When DC killed off Superman, we knew it was a stunt, and he would be back, but we wanted to see how he came back. When Dc did the Knightfall storyline, we knew sooner or latter, Bruce Wayne would heal and wear the cape and cowl again. Killing off Batman last year, stunt that, IMO, didn't grab me. Marvel killing off characters just for sales tells me they are desperate, nothign more. Besides, the killing off of a member of the FF didn't interest me, especially since they already did it back in 1995 or so, when they "killed" off Mr. Fantastic for a few issues.

5. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Johny wasn't even shown dying and he'll be back in 12 issues more than likely.

6. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

And here I thought everyone in the Marvel Universe had already died and come back at least once (heck, this should probably be just another day at the office for the X-Men by now). :p 

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Hasn't this happened since Day 1 of comic book superheroes? I'm not understanding this.

8. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

So what's DC's excuse, then? (Like I really need to ask.)

9. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Doesn't surprise me....they should do villian driven comics....

10. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Used to be killing comic characters was a rare thing, and it was written by a writer who had invested a lot of time into these characters and was doing it for emotional impact and good story telling. Gwen Stacy, Jean DeWolfe, Uncle BEn, Jean Grey(first death) Captain Marvel

Then it was company mandated, but done with respect and well written usually handled by the company's top talent and writers. Barry Allen, Jason Todd.

Now it's who can we kill to get people to buy the book. It won't matter we'll bring them back in 8 issues. Hawkeye, Carnage, Batman, Superman, Johnny Storm, Wonder Woman(twice), Jean Grey(any other death), Reed Richards, Mary Jane(90's), Ant Man, the new warriors, ares, Atom(ryan Choi), Lian- Red Arrows Daughter, Captain Marvell III, HobGoblin I, andII, Moira Mctaggert, Promethius, Sentry, Jameson's wife, 90% of the Ultimate X-men and the list goes on.....

11. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

So much for the Heroic Age I guess.

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No real surprise there.

However, I give a little credit to Marvel. Jean Grey has been dead for a long time now. Hopefully Ni gh tcrawler will too.

But when they bring someone back, like Colossus or Bucky, they've done it pretty well.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is why the only Marvel title I pick up now is Invincible Iron Man. For DC I'm pretty much relegated to stuff that Dini writes.

The majority of material I read now are Vertigo/Image titles.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  14. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

This is pretty much why the only Marvel title I get anymore is Young Avengers. I'm tired of their stunts for publicity. All they've done is kill my interest in some of my favorite Marvel comics.

And while DC also does this to a degree, I find that I'm enjoying their stories more and more...

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Obvious news is obvious, Marvel thread is Marvel thread.

16. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Methinks Hope will soon be more or less replacing her.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Next Issue - Cyclops goes to jail.

18. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In other news, Earth orbits the sun.

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    So Ultimate Spider-Man is next? Didn't they already make a big fuss out him being apparently dead after Ultimatum? Sheesh.

That's the final straw I guess. Ultimate Spidey was the only cool book left.

20. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I was going to post almost this exact post! But I was torn between that and 'Comic publisher hopes to make profit".

Oh well, doesn't really bother me as a lot the time the stories bringing characters back can be really good. I loved the Colossus and Bucky stories, hell I even enjoyed DC's Jason Todd resurrection!

And of course most characters come back in roughly 12 issues. That's an entire year. It's the attention span of the reader their trying to obtain. It reminds me of wrestling back in the 70's and 80's; the WWF title could be held by wrestlers for over a year but now it changes monthly. Marvel is hoping to get the attention of younger readers and hold them.