Martial arts: who trains in one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I'm interested to know if anyone else here practises a martial art? If so, what kind? I've been a Tang Soo Do practitioner for several years now. It's a Korean martial art, similar to Taekwondo. But I've been thinking recently about joining either a new wing chun or ju jitsu club at my university soon. So if anyone here does wing chun or ju jitsu, I'd like to hear what you think about them!

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I used to do karate, but the Senpai was an idiot who always hurt himself and broke other's peoples bones.

3. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    Ouch. How did he continue to run classes if he was always injuring himself and others? Did you ever look into any other martial art classes?

4. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do karate and BJJ

5. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    BJJ?

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    No idea.

Nope.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Shaolin kung fu (Southern style), under the tutelage of my great-uncle. I'm no expert, though.

8. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

i do believe he meant Brazilian Ju Jitsu.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I study under the Foot Fist Way.

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While not a Martial Art in a Traditional Eastern combat sense, I do participate in a Combat Sport that is well Martial.

SCA heavy combat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I participate in Medieval recreation along with my wife, and one of the things I do is Recreation Combat. Think Sword Fighting, with Rattan (non hollow bamboo) swords, which are an 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" in diameter.

We use armor of varying degrees of thickness and materials, based either closely or loosely on historical armor. Most people do European Armor, but some people have Gladiators, Spartans, and even Samurai persona, with authentic armor.

Body Mechanics are very or paramount important, bruises are common, I have seen and heard of worse happening (cup malfunction!). For the most part it is kind of like full contact paintball.

While not something people think of when they say Martial Arts, I would say it is certainly similar. Incidentally, one of the people in our group is a TKD instructor. That is in addition to the several current and former military and/or national guard.

But yeah, a hell of alot of fun, but not what people generally think of when they say Martial Art.

11. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to learn Krav Maga some day, I did a taster session a few years ago and it actually saved me from a mugging. Makes you wonder what it would be like to take lessons :lol 

12. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Been training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about a year. Right now i'm taking a break from it due to my schedule though.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've been training in Jishukan Jiu Jitsu for about 8 years, at the moment I'm training for my brown belt.

Most of the black belts in our clubs are also actively training in other arts, one of the Sensei's in Adelaide trains in Capoeira and did a demo for us at our seminar.

I've also dabbled in Wing Chun since a work mate is an instructor: in the right hands, its a brilliant art.

You'd be well served in picking up either one, although I'd recommend either Jiu Jitsu or Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, get your ground work covered.

14. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Tang Soo Do (explained in the OPs post, but basically it's Tae Kwon Do as stated above) - 5th Dan
    Okinawan Goju-Ryu (hard-style, practical self-defense that focuses primarily on punching)- 4th Dan
    Hapkido (primarily joint locks and throws along with kicking and punching)- 2nd Dan
    Matayoshi Kobudo (traditional Okinawan weapons, basically Ninja Turtle weapons) - I test for 1st Dan in a little over 2 weeks

I've been training for over 20 years and I own and operate a martial arts school.
    So, yes I train in martial arts :) 

What got you guys into training? I always like to see what motivates people to train.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Jesus that's an impressive resume......:bowdown: 

I got the crap kicked out of me by a gang of about 12 people :p 

16. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I use to take Tai-Kwon-Do. Quit years ago.

17. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

I'm trained in the Scottish martial art of 'f*ck you'. ;) 

18. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    I can imagine that looks pretty impressive! You must be quite flexible and swift! And it's cool that a relative teaches you. My father is my instructor in Tang Soo Do too.

That's pretty impressive-sounding too!

Never heard of Krav Maga. Might have to look that up. But if it saved you from mugging, then it works!

Thanks for the opinion! Am i correct in assuming that there's plenty of throwing involved in Jiu Jitsu?

But I think I'm leaning more toward wing chun right now, because origin-wise, I'm closer to it.

Good luck working toward your brown belt! (Is that close to black?)

Cool to see another TSD practitioner! Or rather instructor! I guess I could call you 'sa bom nim'! I'm a 2nd dan myself.

Good luck with your upcoming MK 1st dan grading! Though with your training experience and skills, I'm sure you'll have it in the bag!

As for what got me into TSD in the beginning, i have my father to thank for that. He's my instructor. Maybe you've heard of him from TSD: Master Tang from the U.K.?

Fearsome indeed!

19. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Best one out there. Crazy trumps skill every time :) 

20. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I took Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's system) many moons ago and found the Wing Chun part very practical (at least from a stand up close quarter combat). Good luck.