Martial arts training help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ace Convoy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hey everybody

Earlier this week I resumed Taekwondo after a one year hiatus and i've been trying to get back into shape

my current routine is

average around 40-50 pushups a day

stretches

some situps

wake up a 6:00 AM and run for 3/4ths to a mile

Some health supplements like protein shakes, fruits, veggies, a lot of water....

and of course practice what I know.

is there anything I'm missing ?

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

erm, Taekwondo? also it is my personal belief that you should avoid supplements if possible.

3. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:

..really???

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, protein shakes etc, the kind of thing. its all marketing and you can get the nutrients by eating properly. it'll be much better for you too.

your diet sounds pretty good though, good luck brosef :) 

5. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

youd have to eat a hell of a lot of food to get the nutrients found in suppliments.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You might want to add some weight training to your routine.

7. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    do P90X, seriously. I'm in the best shape of my life because of it. It will also help alot with flexibility and strength which will help alot in martial arts. I wish I had done P90X when I was doing Karate.

8. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

You need to run further than 3/4 of a mile too. It takes at least 20 minutes of cardio to actually see any results. When I started out running, I would run 1 mile then stretch. Then run another mile for 2 total. I'm at the point now to where I can do 6 miles pretty easily.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Grow a cool muctache

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am no sensei. I altered my diet first and drastically. I eventually decreased intake down to one meal, 2 snacks a day. quit sodas entirely, drinking Propel instead.
    baked fish, steamed shrimp, raw fruits and veggies. avoided starchy veggies like potatoes and corn.

but when i exercised regularly, i worked my way up to walking 4 miles in an hour (i know, 15 minute miles suck, but it was with a doctor's orders.)
    anyway, i walked those 4 miles an hour 6 times a week, and did resistance training incrementally until i was up to 45 minutes without stopping.

as for taking supplements, i only used one kind. Magnesium pills. i took 2 each day, about an hour before my workouts and on some days, before bed.
    it helps reduce aches and pains, and is an extremely gentle sleep aid. and no side effects.

taking them, i never had any pain with my workouts. made a huge difference.

good luck!

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I've been on the fence about P90X for a long time now. From the bloggers online it seems like you have to be in a very good shape before you can start P90X because of the rigorous demands it has on your body. Is that true?

12. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have to be in decent shape but not necessarily very good shape. I exercised on and off for years but was on the "off" for about a few months (during holiday season) before starting P90X. Admittedly, the first couple of weeks kicked my ass so I'm not going to lie it's easy. Because it's not. But you can work your way up (meaning doing less reps and resting a bit more than what the videos show and work your way up) and by day 90 you are good. Even after 90 days I still couldn't keep up 100% with the videos but near enough to really improve my shape. They do have a "fit test" that you take initially to test to see if you are in decent enough shape to go through P90X so if you are afraid to go through with P90X then you can take the test to see how you fair. I know a few people who quit after a few days or a week of P90X but if you keep up with it (again the first couple of weeks kicked my ass and can be demoralizing) it'll pay off. One other thing I should mention is that one of the routines in P90X is plyometrics which involves alot of jumping and high impact moves. I have bad knees so I can't do that routine but the dude in P90X realized that some people can't do high impact so he made a supplemental routine that's lower impact so that's what I do instead of plyo.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Fuck all that crap. Just start taking steroids

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:

just listening to this while training:
    YouTube - Carl Douglas - Kung fu fighting(original)

15. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Depends what you are looking for? Are you going to compete or is this just fitness?

You need to factor in some resistance training to build explosive power and also high intensity short bursts of cardio. If you have a gym doing circuit training nearby this would be a good place to start.

Shakes are good if you are looking to pack on muscle/strength and can`t always get access to the right food. Also cooking after training is never easy.

16. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

This.

Strength training will not only make you stronger, but faster as well, and increase your endurance. When you can weight train for 2 hours after a cardio warmup you can sure as heck do your martial arts for a good, solid hour. I have never hit so hard and fast as I have in the last 2 years of heavier weight training.

Without some supplements (and research them carefully) you will need to eat a lot to gain that muscle mass. I only supplement with protein shakes and creatine. Protein shakes are fine because well...that's protein. Get it from food, get it in concentrated form in addition to the food and you can increase your rate of muscle mass gain. Your body doesn't store protein very well anywhere but in muscle tissue.

Protein Shakes - Benefits of Whey and Soy Protein Shakes

Creatine is normally naturally produced by your body, is found in meat, is highly bioavailable, and has been shown in numerous clinical studies to be very safe so long as you do not have a few certain, specific conditions (diabetes, asthma, liver or kidney disease).

Here: SpringerLink - Journal Article

Talk to a fitness professional about the appropriate dosage and length of time. It's not meant to be taken long term without breaks. It's also pretty cheap.

I dunno from magnesium. I'm double-jointed, so I don't tend to get any joint aches no matter what I do and am as flexible now as I was at 15. For those of you who are not, stretch, stretch, stretch.

Oh, if you want your endurance to soar off the charts? Interval running. I am a damned machine every October when I switch my training over primarily to that for the 2 months prior. It lets me perform a very physically demanding role in a hot costume for 6-7 hours, no breaks, as long as I hydrate like crazy.

As for what you are doing, are you learning Taekwando as a sport or as a combat style? Are you doing stuff to toughen up your striking surfaces?

- Coeloptera

17. Ace Convoy

News Credits:
    Ebay:

A little of both

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

First of all, how old are you? That is the key question in whether or not you should start picking up weights. If your physique is fully matured then by all means, start putting muscle on it. If not, you risk stunting proper development.

Second, what kind of build do you have? Strong and stocky, lean and limber? This goes to what kind of fighter you are and what would be best to emphasize.

Keep it up with the dieting and running, but it seems to me the main thing you're missing is bag sparring. Get one of these and a stopwatch or egg timer.

Set your timer to 3 minutes and visualize being in a 3 minute full contact round. Practice everything you've got on it. Kick 'em, punch 'em, practice slipping punches and blocking kicks as if he were fighting back. Don't slow down too much, keep your guard up, a full three minutes of solid striking. You will assuredly be out of steam by the time the minutes are over, but that's the point. Start out with five rounds a day, one minute between rounds. Just like a real bout - and don't give up. In a few months you'll be in competative shape.

19. gil

gil Godmaster

About running: If you doing it strictly to improve cardio for your martial arts training, maybe you should try and set a time and run for that time. Don't even care how far you go. And as you progress, add more time. 3/4 to 1 mile sounds like 10-15 minutes (forgive me if you run alot faster), so maybe try running for 20 minutes for a week or two, than 30......I'm currently training for my third Honolulu Marathon. I'm pushing to beat Opra's time (about 4:30). Running is a lot mental.....just gotta go out and do it.

About suppliments: supplements are supposed to supplement your diet, not replace it. That's why it's called supplements. And I honestly think it's easier to drink a shake than eat another serving of real food. But that's just me.

I'm gonna try intervals later in my training. My current training is running for 1-2 hours. And it includes hills (Diamond Head). What's your intervals like? Also, 6-7 hours, no breaks, and hydrate like crazy? I hydrate like crazy and I gotta take a leak every hour. That's nuts.

Nah, you still gotta work out if you take steroids. You gotta take some gamma radiation.....nobody is gonna fuck with you. Yeah, "TheIncredibleHulk", I know your secret.

20. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Run More!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-2.5 miles a day!