Martial Artists: What TFW board members have martial arts experience?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sentinel, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I have seen threads like this on other boards and they piqued my curiousity. I know of at least one other board member (Alphie) who has martial arts experience. I have seen her at tournaments a few times and we've talked briefly. So, I am wondering:

-Who else here has experience?

-How long have you been training?

-At what age did you begin training (and end it if that is the case)?

-In what style(s) have you trained?

-What rank(s) did you achieve?

I own and operate a martial arts school, so obviously martial arts are a passion for me. Here are my answers:

-I am coming up on 20 years of continuous training in a couple of months.

-I began training at age 11 when my mom invited her co-worker and her husband over to our house for dinner. Her husband had a part-time martial arts school that he operated at night. I started training w/ him a few weeks later and kept going until I left for college and came back off-and-on throughout school. We still meet for lunch now and again and I still consider him my teacher although the relationship has changed over the years.

-I began in Tang Soo Do (very similar to Tae Kwon Do) in 1990.
    I began training in Hapkido (roughly the Korean version of Aikido w/ joint locks, throws and chokes, but also w/ kicks and punches) w/ the same instructor in 1995.
    I began training in Okinawan Goju-Ryu (a hard-style traditional karate) in 1997 when I went to college.
    I recently began training in Matayoshi Kobudo (Okinawan weapons, think Ninja Turtles) in 2006.

-Tang Soo Do: 5th Dan
    Okinawan Goju-Ryu: San Dan (3rd degree) [I am scheduled to test for Yon Dan (4th degree) in June 2010]
    Hapkido: 2nd Dan
    Matayoshi Kobudo: San Kyu (Brown Belt)

If anyone else would like to share, that would be great.

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a ninja in the Arashikage clan

3. Deathnoble

Deathnoble Aristocratic Assassin

Yo.

I trained for a little over a decade.
    Began training since age eight.
    Had a falling out with my sensei and left training at age eighteen.
    Trained in: Taekwondo, Kickboxing, Krav Maga, and grappling.
    Never ranked in the latter three, only trained. in Taekwondo, I acheived third degree black belt before my "retirement."

I've been trained in multiple short to mid range weaponry, including: staff, cane, nunchucks, police riot baton, segmented staff, sword, dagger, sickle and others.

Competed a handful of times, won gold once. Placed multiple other times; walked away empty-handed couple of times as well. After the surgeries on my knee I competed once more, but was humiliated when my knee just couldn't handle the strain and was forced to forfeit a match. Stopped competing after that incident........

4. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My eldest brother started teaching me when I was a 5yo Shorin Ryu. But he never really kept it up, it was an off and on kind of thing. So I said screw it, but I think he said he was a third degree black belt

5. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    -How long have you been training? - Been training off and on since 1999. A few years in Olympic Taekwondo, a few years in Karate and currently a few years at my current school.

-At what age did you begin training (and end it if that is the case)? - Started around eighteen years old and currently on a hiatus due to a knee injury. Sadly I won't be able to spar again. :( 

-In what style(s) have you trained? - I dabbled in a lot of mixed martial arts schools so I've been trained slightly in Taekwondo, Shotokan Karate, Muay Thai, Judo, Hapkido, and Kickboxing.

-What rank(s) did you achieve? In my first martial arts school, primarily Olympic Taekwondo I reached the rank of a purple belt. In Karate I achieved the same and in my current school I'm only a green belt since I've been plagued with injuries for the last year.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I trained for 2 years Ju-Jutsu. But there were some kids who bugged me, so it made no fun any longer.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I don't know Karate, but I know ca-razy...

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I have 2 years of judo background, But I haven´t trained in several years.

9. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    :thumb  awesome...

10. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I have about a year of some self-defense thing that I can't remember the name of for the life of me, because I took it about 7 years ago.

So I'm pretty unexperienced.

11. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I started up in college, that was about 1995 when I did. Studied Shotokan for a few years. It was a decent background. Then I tried Wu Shu under this gentleman when i lived in San Jose: http://www.fancast.com/people/Sheng-Meng/1579422/biography/about

But just didn't have the time or extra money to keep that up for more than a little over a year and frankly, it didn't seem a great "fit" for me.

Last year I started up Krav Maga here in Vegas. I like it, but work scheduling made me have to drop out in the middle of this past Summer, but I'm looking to get back into it early next year. In the meantime, I've been hitting the gym 6-9 hours a week at minimum and still working with some folks with focus pads and basic groundwork. I'm actually in better shape now, at 34, than I've ever been in my life. I used the Ranger Physical Fitness Test as a baseline for my goals and went well past the minimum scores around the middle of this year.

Honestly, I've never tried to stay with something specific long enough to get concerned about ranking, just knowledge I could use. So far, Krav Maga seems my favourite because it is purely concerned with ending a fight and "form" isn't really on the menu aside from "do it correctly".

That and I have some...informal knife training from a relative, let's say, and I've been shooting for about 12 years off-and-on. My concerns have always been, well..."can I defend myself?" as opposed to anything more specific than that.

The answer seems to be "yes, and pretty well with a decent variety of HtH, knife, or firearm skills". Not that I've been in a huge number of real-life fights, but I haven't lost one of those yet.

In the interest of disclosure I am 6'3" and about 215 lbs, so I guess that helps. Given the choice I'm so much more comfortable with firearms I'd go for that if the option is available.

- Coeloptera

12. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Meh, I just charge in and fuck shit up as best as I can :lol 

though Bruce Lee is one of my idols :D 

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'm a master of fah-q it's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    does running around my back yard acting like Chuck Norris ands Bruce Lee count? cause i did that as kid XD

15. red4

red4 Banned

I punched someone in the head. In a very technical sense, that counts.
    In a more geeky, but ironically more legitimate way, I have some haphazardly self-imposed sword training. And it wasn't that choreographed shit either. These were real swipes, and there were injured fingers, as well as damaged weaponry. We started with PVC pipes, which broke far too easily. Then switched to steel pipes, which worked fine, except we managed to bend them; and they also hurt like the dickens. Then we settled on laminated oak dowels, which work very well; and if they happen to break, the laminations keep the splinters from flying everywhere.

16. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been inactive for the last 5 years. Raising a child kind of puts it way ahead in priorities. But here is my experiences.

2 1/2 years of Shotokan Karate
    1 year Jujitsu
    3 years mixed martial arts

17. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Green belt in taekwon do

I stopped in August but starting again next month at a different place.

not that great but I'm great at blocking

18. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    im a ninja, that count?

19. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm gonna be one next month apparently.

20. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter