Customs: Marlboro Wheeljack question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Shakira, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Shakira

Shakira Well-Known Member

Hello this is my first post to this section hopefully I am putting this in the right place. I have a question I am going to build a Marlboro Wheeljack from a loose Wheeljack I have. My question is regarding how I should paint the canopy glass and wings. I was thinking about using a translucent paint maybe mixing a blue to match the original blue used on the Marlboro version what are you guys thoughts? I have done this before on models and such with good sucess. I have used the Tamiya clears but the plastic was also clear to start with. The wheeljack plastic has a kind of smoky appearance to it.Do you guys have any better/other ideas? I know that transrepo used to make the canopy and wings but I dont think any thing will be coming out of them for a while. Thanks in advnace for your responses :O)

2. scarnivac

scarnivac Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  3. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Well heres the one I finished this past weekend. http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/repaints-and-minor-mods-4/g1-marlboor-165938/

For mine I used Testors transparent Blue paint in light coats to prevent dripping. I soaked mine in alcohol over night to get the white paint off, turned mine upside down and painted it that way. the results were pretty good.
    For the wings and spoiler check out www.brokenarrowtoys.com. They sell both, and if you e-mail them they will make the wings blue for you.
    The head came from board member Wheeljaxx, and it is AWESOME.
    The labels of course come from Reprolables.com. Those even come with red stickers so you dont have to paint anything, although I didnt go that route.

Hope that helps

4. Shakira

Rod I was looking at your Marlboro yesterday it is niiiice :O) The blue on the wings does not seem dark enough to me I was thinking i was going to have to mix a custom color. I bought both set of wings from brokenarrow yesterday. I also bought a set of reprolabels. Btw I am doing this on a Diaclone (pre-rub) wheeljack so it has the correct copystamp.
    Scarnivac I will check the site again but I thought they were not taking orders till next year once they got the backlog cleaned up. Thanks :O)

5. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

With clear blue paint the more you pile on the paint the darker. But yeah the color on the wings is a little lite, but the color i painted on the canopy came out pretty accurate

6. Shakira

Yes I noticed that. I was thiking about custom mixing a darker color and shooting it from a airbrush. I have a nice archive of pics of a Marlboro that I am going to use as refrence. I would like to make a styrofoam insert and maybe even a box. I have a real Diaclone insert that i might try to copy. I dont have a extra driver but I know where I can get one. Any ideas on how to repop the foam insert?