Market share isn't important, says Sony

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Jun 5, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Kotaku
    and
    Kikizo

Well if even Sony says so, maybe that will hush up some of the people here who said Nintendo should have given up because of low Game Cube market share? Even if Sony has been acting stupid and tossing around a lot of bullshit, this at least is true. Market share is great, but the business is about getting your product out there and making money. Nintendo has made plenty of money off of the (comparatively) unpopular Game Cube, and Sony hopes to somehow do the same with what looks like it will be a comparatively unpopular PS3. Whether they can do that while taking such a huge loss on the hardware, decreasing their potential userbase, and without killer first-party games like Nintendo's remains to be seen...
    Here's the point I don't get. Suddenly they're benevolent promoters of industry growth and market expansion? Isn't that Nintendo's thing? Can Sony do that by increasing the costs of development, the costs of games, the costs of hardware and marketing a system that will basically only appeal to affluent "core" gamers and videophiles? Or are they borrowing another company's lines again like they did with Microsoft's famous praise of Wii at E3?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Don't fall in to the trap of thinking this is about games when they say "digital entertainment".

PS2 hit just as DVD was taking off and accelerated the growth of the format exponentially. Make no mistake, they fully intend this to happen again with Blu-Ray.

Is it a good idea? I don't care. As a consumer I am happy with DVD. Will I have a PS3? No idea. Nothing there to tempt me thus far. So until that day there is one less Blu-Ray schmuck to sell to.

Oh, and I don't want a HD TV either. My regular old boob tube is just fine.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Ah, that at least makes more sense. So it's more like what they're saying is "we don't mind taking a dive in video games if it makes Blu-Ray stronger"?

4. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

The definition of success can be pretty subjective. The original Xbox legitimized Microsoft in the console market, but at immense financial cost. Apple has grown significantly thanks to the iPod, but its market share for Macs remains shit. Nintendo makes awesome games and is in good health financially, but doesn't enjoy the power and influence it used to have. All of these companies can be interpreted as successes in some ways and failures in others.

Ultimately, though, corporations exist solely to perpetuate themselves, and market share, when combined with a sound long-term strategy, is the best way of assuring that, because it gives you room to make customer-losing mistakes and correct yourself afterwards. If you have a small number of customers, you can only fuck up a few times before you have no customers and your solvency is jeopardized.

PS2 undoubtedly helped DVD adoption, but I'd say that the adoption was inevitable anyway. The consumers and industry coalesced around DVD with amazing speed, especially since there wasn't an attractive competitor - MMCD was abandoned early on. When Sony speaks of promoting industry growth, what they really mean is industry growth on their own terms. It's a myopic strategy that I firmly believe will come back to bite them in the ass.

5. McBradders

I get that impression. $1000 for a Blu-Ray player or $600 for a PS3? The math speaks for itself. It seems they're hoping that it will boost both markets, especially in the early days.

Adoption was inevitable, I agree, but it *really* pushed off when the PS2 hit. DVD players were still generally fairly expensive at the time. For similar money you could get one that also played videogames. Given the market they had created for themselves prior to PS2 launch, it sealed the deal for a lot of their core demograpghic. It was hard to see how it *would* have failed, in retrospect.

Trying the same again a good decade earlier than the average "new" format lasts is just... silly.

We aren't ready for Hi-Def being the standard. As a market we're being pushed in to it by Hollywood because it suits them. When one of the big 3 is fully invested in Hollywood, this happens, and you can see how well that's turning out.

At least I don't have to buy the HD-DVD drive for my 360, and that's something I'm very glad of.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The DVD industry helped the PS2 more than the PS2 helped the DVD industry. As you said Streck, it was inevitable.

The jump in technology isn't as significant this time around. VHS to DVD was huge because with DVDs you got higher quality, durability, no need to rewind, move through chapters in seconds, and more storage for extras.

DVD to Bluray is higher quality, and maybe more storage. But do people really care about more extras when it comes to watching movies? I'm guessing not. Nor will most people want to replace their entire collection when the only difference is that it will look better in their HDTV when DVD already looks pretty good.

Blueray = mini disc. Too late, and nothing too noteworthy for the masses to jump.

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Not to mention there are already HD-DVD players on the market for half the price of blu-ray players.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No need for the HD doom mongering folks.

The entertainment and electronics industry wants your money and it'll keep producing stuff on DVD for as long as people want it. They arn't stupid, its a massive market with plenty of milage left in it and they arn't going to throw it away.

The movie and home theatre enthusiast market is perfectly capable of supporting the HD formats alone and will do so for as long as necessary, especially once the format war has either finished or reached a stalemate.

Regurdless of anything, HD will creep in and take over in the long run anyway. Costs will lower througth development of the technology and increased production runs to the point where it isn't worth producing SD anymore. Once that happens, nobody will care and nobody will be getting screwed because they won't be paying anymore then they were before and because its all back compatable wth SD stuff.

As for the console market, nobody stays on top forever and theres no reason why Sony should be any different to Atari and Nintendo. If people don't want to pay for a PS3, they'll take thier business elsewhere and the games will follow.

9. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I still watch VHS

10. funkatron101

Ebay:
    You're not alone, a lot of people bought my VHS tapes at the garage sale I had this weekend.

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

20GB for the initial single-layer Blu-Ray disc.....i'm wondering how much of the disc will be used for the PS3 games....in Squarenix's case, that means 100 more hours of cinemaic to watch (while you still get the 5 hours of total gameplay)

for them movie-wise, they can just about stick a whole season on 1 disc,

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

"$600 is not expensive."

"Tilt control is not copying the Wii motion control."

"Market share doesn't matter."

What is this, opposite month?

13. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Murphy: Don't you mean....BIZARRO MONTH?

It's easy for Sony to say those things about market share when it's slipping away from them. If they had 90%, they would be all about market share.

14. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Much of the space I believe will be dedicated to HD playback.

There are plenty of PS2 games now that don't fill the space of a DVD. They actually resort to duplicating files, wasteful FMV, and use little to no compression.

They are hardly hurting for disc space.

15. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

This is exactly right, the space will be used for higher resoulution play. The funny thing is that sony is aiming for "true" HD at 1080p, which at this point is not supported by most TVs on the market. It makes no sense to me to push a standard on us that most people won't be able to use, and probably won't be a widespread standard on TVs until the next hardware generation. I'll stick to DVDs thanks.

16. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You too? I was surprised that people would pick up this format... Also I found buyers for all of my old cassette tapes.

17. McBradders

An interesting fact, nobody has stayed on top for more than 2 generations consecutively.

Handhelds do not count. Good day.

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Your not thinking about it the right way. The cgi movies in square games for the ps2 were 480i if I remember correctly more likely than not they will be either 720p, 1080i or even 1080p the storage need for video of that quality is massive so a ps3 square game that fills the br disk will probably have as much video content as the ps2 dvd games.

Also I doubt we will see dvd quality(480i) video on BR discs. BR Season box sets will probably be in 1080p and as such will probably need the same amount of discs as DVD boxsets.

Its for being extra future proof I imagine. I doubt there will be another HD standard resolution for another 6-7 yrs. 1080p downconverts to 1080i and 720p better than 1080i converts to 720p and vice versa so its basically a win win. I would be surpised if HD-DVD releases were any different.

19. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Yeah how much of that will they use though? You can cram quite a bit onto dvd without a particularly noticeable drop in quality (my naruto dvds hold around 16 eps per disc) yet you only get around 3 or 4 episodes on most discs you buy in shops.

20. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

That because most naruto fan subs are highlyy compressed mpeg 4 movies either divx or xvid you are then burning compressed mpeg 2 versions of those for use in dvd playes. The official dvd versions have more resolution and less compression.