Customs: Markers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Lazerbeak, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

I heard about those metallic Sharpies that supposedly work really well for detailing TF's. I'd like to know, what colours are available, how well do they bond to the plastic, and are there any adverse effects that might happen to the toy?

Also, I'd like to know more about those markers people use to detail the panel lines on Gundam models. Where do I find those?

I ask this because I'm planning to maybe give some extra detail to Cybertron Vector Prime if and when I get him.

2. Lazerbeak

Hmmm, 43 views and not one response?

I seriously refuse to belive that there's not one person here who can't answer my question... :peoples: 

3. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry mate i don't....
    But PM CM i think he did his Unicron with one:D 

4. panopticon

panopticon I see you!

Can't help you with the metallic sharpies, but the Gundam Markers work pretty well for filling panel lines, except I think they're a little thick.

If you're interested in filling panel lines, I would seriously recommend using Sakura pens, because they're cheaper and faster to get than a Gundam Marker (you can find Sakuras at any hobby/crafts store), and you have a wider range of sizes. I would also recommend using a click-eraser (the ones that slide out of the the little plastic tubes) when filling panel lines to make them finer.

5. Lazerbeak

That sounds perfect, I'll have to look into those. Thanks, panopticon!

Lucky thing I already have one of those click-erasers too, saves me a trip to Office Max. :D 

6. panopticon

panopticon I see you!

No problem, Lazerbeak. I don't kitbash, but I've quite a bit of modeling experience with cars, Gundams and whatnot, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

P.S.--also, really try the thinned panel-line look. Thick lines look cartoonish and make the armor plating look nearly useless.

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Man, I wish I saw this thread earlier...

Anyway, I have been using (to various degrees of success) three different types of markers to touch up my TF's.

Two of the markers are from Sharpie, the standard silver metallic permanent ink marker, and the Sharpie oil-based opaque paint marker. Both the standard Sharpie and the paint Sharpie produce a nice flat metallic silver that perfectly matches the standard metallic silver paint apps found on many Transformers and the rim of the Cybertron planet keys. The gold paint Sharpie produces a flat metallic gold that perfectly matches the standard metallic gold paint apps found on many Transformers. For example, Cybertron Ransack's gold and silver paint apps can easily touched up/enhanced with the Sharpie markers.

The third kind of marker I use is the DecoColor brand opaque paint marker from Uchida, which come in a wide variety of colors and tip sizes, and I picked mine up at the local Michael's.

The difference between the Sharpie metallic silver and the DecoColor liquid silver is staggering (the same goes for the gold as well). The DecoColor paint more closely resembles vaccumized metal or chrome than the Sharpie markers do.

Here's how my Alt. Wheeljack head turned out:

[​IMG]

I used DecoColor liquid silver, black, and blue for the eyes. Both the black and the blue are very glossy.

The DecoColor markers contain Xylene, so make sure you use them in well ventilated areas. Also, remember to wash your parts before you paint them! Use dish soap and warm water to remove all of dirt and oil that builds up from normal toy handling. Lastly, if your touched-up figures are going to be handled a lot, a layer of clearcoat over your work might not be a bad thing, as the ink or paint from these markers are not nearly as durable as the paint used on these toys in the factory.

8. ROCK_LEE

ROCK_LEE Well-Known Member

if you want to fill lines as in shade, then i would suggest using a can tint spray. Instant even shading, and very easy to apply. They have 3 packs of testors markers at walmart comes with gold/silver/black.