Mark Waid is back on The Flash!!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Superman_Alpha, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

http://www.newsarama.com/heroes_philly07/DC/flash.html

Highlights:

* The current series is done with #13. Yes, they've solicited beyond that point, but only to keep this a secret until today. This has been in the works for almost a year.

* Waid writes the All-Flash special in September before the ongoing starts.

* No new "issue #1". The Flash picks right up where it left off In January 2006 with issue #231.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I seriously hate ending titles and restarting them, even if its back to old numbering. Comics really are a dieing medium.

Oh, nice to hear Waid is back. I guess he'll be writting for Barry Allen Flash.

3. Superman_Alpha

who said anything about Barry?

4. smkspy

I'm assuming its Barry because there would be no reason for them to return to original numbering without it being Barry. And other rumors I've heard.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm just glad to have Mark Waid back on Flash. His run on the series was one of my favourites.

6. Superman_Alpha

Except that wasn't Barry's book. It was Wally's.

Barry's run was Flash Volume 1, #105 thru #350. (#1-104 was Jay's run in the Golden Age) Wally got a whole new first issue when he took over after COIE. His book ran thru #230, only 15 short of Barry's run.

7. smkspy

Oh, I know that. I was extreemly pissed when they canceled Flash after 230. I've just read so many rumors that they will bring back Barry lately that It must be him. Why return to original numbering for the most recent series without it being the 'great' Barry Allen? Again, I'm just guessing, but seems perfect timing to bring Barry back with Countdown and the mess that has become the Flash since Idenity Crisis.

8. Carnivac

Carnivac Survivor

I'd finally started to get into the current run. After a bleh beginning it lately started to improve.

9. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Guggenheim, brought into revive a book. And succeeds in doing so, by ending it? Maaan, I have to admit the whole mystery solicitations have been annoying, but they worked. No one knew the series was ending. I would hope stores will be getting refunds for issues ordered of a book that's not coming out. On to the real news of the story though, I never really read any of Waid's Flash stuff. I know it is the stuff of legends though, and very much look forward to where it goes. In the meantime though, I am salivating to see where Guggenheim takes us in this final issue next week.

10. smkspy

I loved Waid's run, but Johns really made me appreciate the Flash again.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yeah, Barry's coming back. I'm curious what they'll do with Bart now. It'd be lame to de-age him, though I did enjoy him as Impulse/Kid Flash.

I just hope we find out more about Wally, Linda, and the kids, since they entered the speed force.

12. Superman_Alpha

link?

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't read Waid's Flash run (it's on my list of future reads), but this is still exciting news. Waid is one of my favorite comic writers right now, and I know he can do Flash well.

Even though Bart's run on the book was picking up, it still never really clicked all that well. Having Barry back could be interesting, but I'd rather have Wally.

Come to think of it, didn't DC say "don't get attached to the first Flash you see" back when they launched Bart's title? And here we all thought they meant Jay. :lol 

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Don't have one handy at the moment. At NYCC Dan Dido said the Flash in the "Countdown" teaser posters was indeed Barry, and that he'd be playing a large role throughout DC soon.

15. Superman_Alpha

I looked into this and a retailed on one of my other boards had this to say...

So they can order a bazillion copies of #13 and return the unsold copies while still having time to go back and changing their orders for #14 and #15 to "0". The retailers risk no money lost in either case. And likewise there should be no excuse for readers to miss this week's issue other than their LCS being stupid and still only ordering 10 or 15 copies.

16. j3

Well I read that at Heroes Con Didio said that All-Flash would be in July, with Flash #231 in August (though those at Philly keep saying fall). So I guess if that's true the orders for 14 and 15 just fall to those then, hence all the earlier pressue to order extras.

17. Superman_Alpha

sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread. Been a busy weekend. Really didn't have time to respond properly when I started the thread, but I was too excited to let it go unnoticed.

We still have Batman dressed like an Arab sheik in that picture too, so there's still a mystery or two in that picture. I know people keep calling him "pirate Batman", but he's dressed like an Arab. Like Talia's father. Yeah.

If anyone is reading "the Lightning Saga" in JLA/JSA, Barry could be the person the Legion of Super-Heroes is trying to restore to life. Barry *was* connected to their future since he spent the last years of his life living with Iris in their timeline. But we still don't know WHICH Legion this team is. Or rather, which Earth they come from. If they are not the Legion from New Earth, their Barry might not be our Barry either.

Bringing Barry back could be why they waited till just recently to begin his run in the Showcase Presents line. The multiverse tie-in played a big part in them doing the Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus now as well as the upcoming Showcase Presents: the Great Disaster - the Atomic Knights tpb.

I love all this this.

I love not knowing what to expect anymore.

Invincible was the only truly unpredictable super-hero universe that I was reading, and that was part of that title's charm. Now I've got the whole DC universe too. I've known these characters since the 70s, and even though I'm squarely in that target demo that loves seeing *my* DC heroes coming back, there's still a sense of mystery to almost everything there right now. Everything. Everyone has a place. We just don't know where and how the puzzle pieces fit together.

Too often comics felt like they were only trying to explain their past mistakes away with these big earth-shattering sagas. This feels planned. You know they've got bits mapped out waaaaaaaay in advance of what the readers know. This is just another example of this. They had Waid on this for a year and held it back until now. Wow. Almost two years ago they had Michael Moorcock (the Elric novelist) sit down with their writers and map out their new multiverse. They've got big things planned.

18. Superman_Alpha

I imagine they'll do separate orders for the new issues in the new Previews. They'll just ship All-Flash a month early. They've done that before to hold onto a secret launch of a series.

19. j3

Well, the solicits are today, so we won't have to wait long to see. :p 

20. Superman_Alpha

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13
    If that means anything to anyone.

Aaaaand from the solicits:

THE FLASH #232
    Written by Mark Waid
    Art & cover by Daniel Acuña
    What alien menace lies beneath the Flash’s own home?
    And what’s his dark, dark family secret — the one that’s helping him keep the peace in Keystone?
    On sale September 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

THE FLASH: WONDERLAND TP
    Written by Geoff Johns
    Art by Angel Unzueta & Doug Hazlewood
    Cover by Brian Bolland
    Collecting the debut story arc by superstar comics writer Geoff Johns from THE FLASH #164-169! Wally West finds himself without his super speed in a darker, mirror version of Keystone City. Can a powerless Flash defeat Captain Cold and Mirror Master to save the city he loves?
    Advance-solicited; on sale October 31 • 144 pg, FC, $12.99 US

and that's it. *shrugs* It's not like DC won't solicit All-Flash & Flash #231. Just not here yet. Probably in their weekly supplements.