Mark Bagley back to Marvel in Six Months

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Boggs6ft7, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Woo Hoo!

Mark Bagley “Back To Marvel” In Six Months? Bleeding Cool Comic Book News and Rumors

Bagley is hands down the hardest working artist in the industry.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

And a damn nice guy. he did a Scarlet Spider sketch for me at C2E2.

[​IMG]

And his wife is really nice also. She made the best comment of the weekend. "I miss Spider-man. Spider-man bought us 2 houses."

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing him stay on JLA for awhile, but honestly it always feels kind of weird to see Bagley draw something that's not Spider-Man. He's probably the definitive Spidey artist of the last couple decades.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Mark's one of my favorite artists and one of the hardest workers in the business. Where some artists can take years to get a new issue out, Mark could easily deliver 2-3 issues a month if he wanted to.

That said, I'm sad to see him headed back to Marvel, the "House of Bad Ideas." He deserves better.

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I hope we get to see him on an Ultimate title Ultimate Team-Up 2???
    Ok, but was she hot?

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wish he finished Ultimate Spider-man instead of Immonen. :( 

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Considering how soon the title ended, yeah I agree.

Sad part is, he's probably just gonna get stuck back on Spidey.

8. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Holy crap! That was you!? I think I saw him making that sketch and I'm pretty sure that I talked to the person that got that. Are you the one that killed his line?

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Um, I didn't kill his line. I got this done at his DC signing saturday. The guy 3 spots in front of me made them cut the line. He got a full sized pen and ink sketch. Then Bagley decided it best to keep sketches limited to heads only and DC decided to cut the line to make sure everyone in it got stuff signed.

But we might have talked anyway.

10. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

It's cool man. The person I was talking to used that phrase. It may not have been you. I'm sure he made lots of those sketches. The person who had the one I saw was waiting to see Amanda Connor on Saturday when she didn't show.

11. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    OMG i so miss Bagley, he shouldve finished Ultimate Spidey, im not a fan of Immonen

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Immonen hate makes no sense at all. None!

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Immonen is awesome!!!...well, ok, I don't know the guy, but his art is pretty ok, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Bagley's USM work..my only complaint would be he draws 15 year old girls with the faces of 27 year old fashion models :lol  other than that..AWESOME!

I was a bit sad when he was replaced with Immonen..what I didn't like at first was that the way he draws, he implies there is alot of detail, but when you take a closer look, there is nothing to look at. :(  But I've really grown to like his style very fast. It definitely has its own face and I wouldn't have minded to see him carry the book for much longer!

14. shadow panther

News Credits:
    are you kidding me? his art is horrible

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wow... I'm amazed at the Immonen hate too... I guess some people have been on Bagley for so long, they don't know a good thing anymore. Bagleys' fine, but Immonen is a much more capable artist.

The thing about Bagley is that I remember when he was the new kid at Marvel, destined for good things. He wasn't as flashy and over-stylized as Liefeld and McFarlane. His compositions recalled good old-fashioned comic book storytelling a la John Buscema or Ron Frenz (especially Frenz, to me).

However, 10 years later, his style was exactly the same. 10 years after that, on Ultimate Spidey, I think his work actually decayed.

I like Bagley. I really do. He has a very basic, action-oriented, old-fashioned comic book style that fits the material well, and 20+ years in the industry is nothing to sneeze at... but to me he's still the "new kid", and after all those years, the guy still can't draw a proper 3/4 angle face that doesn't look like the features are on a totally different axis that's sliding off the head... which frankly amazes me.

I salute Bagley for his output and his longevity, but there are much smoother, more achieved artists out there, and Immonen is one of them.

zmog

16. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Hyperbole alert!! Go to Defcon 2!!

17. shadow panther

News Credits:
    to each there own i guess

18. Digilaut

News Credits:
    Haha, that's ok. I don't agree with you at all, but I hope we're all cool enough to joke around a little :D 

19. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Bagley and Immonen 's work on USM.

Immonen also worked on Nextwave, and if you hate Immonen's work then you hate Nextwave and quite frankly you are the wrongest person ever to have walked this Earth.

20. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I like Immonen and I think he was doing a great job. Lafuente on the other hand was/is awful.

I agree that Bagley's style is old school, but that is what I like.

But aside from his style, I think I like his work ethic the best. I wish more artists had his kind of dedication, but alas, they do not. Instead, we have to wait and wait all the while the fans are getting turned off to a book because of delays. And there are plenty of other artists out there waiting for a chance to work..... the rest of this rant turns into a "bring back Jim Shooter" rant, so I'll stop now.