Mario Kart 7: A Blue Shell For Your Lead

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Isn't it a bit earlly for this thread?
    Anyways, chances are I'll pick this up. Hope the blue shell is dropped for this game.

3. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Yeah like Street Fighter 4, and Grand Theft Auto 4. Heck Windows 2000? Why Microsoft made Windows 7 after Windows 2000?

Numbers after the title don't always imply the "chapter" in its existence. It could mean Major Revision.

Why, I love the Blue Turtle Shell. I'm a bit partial to its ground use (SNES). The air one helps take out 1st and 2nd sometimes. The computer helps me more by taking out the leader than taking out me.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    i think mario kart 7 sounds bad. i would rather it be called mario kart 3ds like mario kart wii. but i can't wait. hope bullet bill gone.

5. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I think Nintendo doesn't count the two arcade games as part of the Mario Kart series. To be honest, I really don't care about the name, as long as it's good, Nintendo can take my money come this Christmas.

6. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

Other than the odd name, I think this looks great. I'm hoping bikes will return since I used them almost exclusively in Mario Kart Wii. The air and sea driving looks cool, but the feature I'm looking forward to the most is kart customization.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That seems likely. For one thing, they were both developed by Namco. Besides that, the arcade games have their own numbering (Mario Kart GP, and Mario Kart GP 2).

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Looking forward to this. I passed on Mario Kart for the Wii, so it should be fun to get a new game. I am hoping that they are going to add in some worthwhile online features on this one.

9. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Kart Super Circuit, Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii...what are the two I'm missing?
    After consulting with Wikipedia, the other two are arcade games, thus not found on Nintendo platforms nor were they developed solely by Nintendo. That doesn't mean they're not Mario Kart games but it's reason enough to consider them separate from the main series if Nintendo so chooses.

Mario Kart Wii was hands down the best game in the series to date and before that it would have been Mario Kart DS, in my opinion. So hopefully that stride of strong games can continue.

10. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i thought the wii version was terrible. everytime i played no matter how far ahead of the race i was the last half lap i was always bombarded with shit and blue shells and would would get dick to help me catch up.

i didnt care for the bikes either.

imo doubledash is the best and super fun. sold my wii to buy a gamecube, that game and much more.

wii has just lost its gimic for me plus no HD still was a killer for me.

11. Gaastra

News Credits:
  12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I'll probably pick it up eventually, but the free copy of Super Circuit (which is my favourite game of the series) will keep me going for a while.

13. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Funny, I never played Double Dash but everyone I know in real life who did play it told me it was awful so I didn't bother.

14. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I have the exact opposite opinion of you. I hated Double Dash with a passion, but thoroughly loved Mario Kart Wii (I was hesitant to buy it at first because of how much I hated Double Dash, but I loved 64 and DS, so I picked it up).

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I dunno about this.

If it plays like Mario Cart DS then I'm sold. Stick to the core gameplay, make some awesome new tracks and kick that blue shell to the curb for a perfect game.

16. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I'd sell my Wii...but since my mom waited in line all night the day it was released for it, and gave it to me as a Christmas gift in '06...I can't. :( 

What I wouldn't give for a time machine right about now.

17. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I'm with you on this one. Double Dash was absolutely horrible with a really cheap AI. I loved (and still occasionally play) Mario Kart 64. I'm not big on the bikes (though they are what I use in MK Wii) but I really wish they would make the karts less like cars.

My true dream (for the next MK Wii/U):
    Bring back the giant shell (Bowser's special in DD) and giant banana (DK)
    Bring back the blue shell along with the "purple" (ground) shell
    Bring back Baby Park and Wario Stadium. Heck, bring back all the tracks and have a "Rainbow" Cup.
    Balance the items a little more (too many Bullets, too many third place blue shells, not enough green shells, mushrooms)

18. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Just chiming in to say that i for one loved Double Dash. having two people per kart is a lame idea period, but at least we got a bigger character assortment because of it, and the special items were some of the best (and, admittedly, worst) items ever. I absolutely loved using Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong, who had arguably the best items in the game. Diddy being one of the few characters who still gets his special items relatively often while in first place, these two mean even with a few cheap Blue Shells you wouldn't have much problems. You're protected by the Giant Bananas and Bowser Shells that you're throwing behind you, you'd generally have a good lead over second place, good enough to void a Blue Shell anyways.

Also, Double Dash remains the best game ever for easily beating Grand Prix races. I've found that to beat any race, simply get two competent players, and have one race ahead while the other (in a separate kart) rides shotgun in second place. Between the two of you, there's very little chance the COM's can ever get more points that you, and a Blue Shell will only get whoever's out first, while the second place person can shoot items at any COM's that try to take advantage of the cheap Blue Shells.

On the topic of Mario Kart 7, i certainly want it. I bought the 3DS for Ridge Racer believing the analog stick was the best thing ever to happen to DS (which it is, that's the main reason to buy a 3DS, the analog stick, not the 3D, imo), and i can't wait to finally have an analog stick to play my Mario Kart handheld games. As long as they bring back the good old tracks (Delfino Plaza, Waluigi Pinball/Stadium, Daisy Cruiser, Super Circuit's Rainbow Road, etc.) while making great new tracks. I hope new tracks don't have too much gimmick-y stuff. I mean, things like the water of Wii's Koopa track are OK, but Maple Treeway's lack of edges makes the cheap COM's that much cheaper. As long as the new tracks are good, i'll probably buy this.

Oh, and keep the Blue Shell, just make the COM's less cheap. I understand the game is meant to be a frantic, not-really-centred-on-racing experience (more for you to get the pleasure of smashing your friend's ass with a turtle shell), but the cheapness of the COM's and the Blue Shell is a bad mix.

As for Bikes, i think they basically nerfed the Karts with that. I personally like the bikes, so it's okay t me, but i can understand why people would dislike them.

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    double dash and 64 are my favorites of the franchise

i hated the wii version

20. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016