March on to Ultimatum

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Cheetatron, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

This thread is for discussing thr stories that lead up to Ultimatum and the actual crossover stories which make up Ultimatum.

-First manner of business is Ultimate Power Sucked period

-Ultimate Origins is something I have actually enjoyed. The Origin of the X gene was definitely not something I expected it, it feels like the celestials origin for 616 marvel universe.

*Nick Fury's Origin is pretty cool it combines a touch of Project Rebirth Truth with infinity formula like effects and makes up the pre gulf war history of Ultimate Nick Fury

*One weird thing in Ultimate Origins is that it seems to retcon the back story of Peter Parker given and continuously built upon in USM all of which is written by BMB

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Not going to even bother reading them. It's another stupid crossover and I'm sick of them. It's going to crossover into the regular books screwing with the stories. Most of the ultimate books have been going downhill for awhile. The only one I read any more is Ultimate Spider-man and if Utimaitum screws too much with the rythum going on there or makes some stupid needless change I'll drop it like I did the regular Spidey books. I want story, plot, and only one book I have to pay attention to. I don't want to read nine other books a week by nine different artists and writers to get what is going on. At this point I hear the word crossover and I put the book back on the shelf.

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Ultimate Origin's I've also really enjoyed. Nice to see what the connection is between Wolverine and Fury. Also seems to explain why Wolverine was the origin for the "Banshee" drug recently shown in UXM.

Not sure how I feel about them apparently retconning Peter Parker's back story. I suppose they could say the plane crash was part of a cover up story, but still that leaves discrepancies in the story. Does this mean the Venom suit was meant to be used as a weapon in the first place, not a cure for cancer? If so then what exactly is Trask Enterprises claim on it given we saw Richard Parker working with SHIELD? And what about Eddie Brock's parents that were supposed to have been killed with the Parkers?

I am interested in seeing where they're going to take this Ultimatum story but I hope they don't screw up the Ultimate Universe with it...

4. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think they are doing a pretty good job with the ultimate universe so far. The fact that they can tie almost everything together is really cool.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm a little confused on the Spidey origin as well but it's not like this is the first time that they have screwed the Ult Spidey story up.

The Ult Spidey video game was an in-continuity story taking place after the first Venom arc. However later in the series, Spidey meets Silver Sable for the "First time" thus negating the whole game story.

Spidey meets Iron Man in the Marvel Team us series and it is said that Iron Man was developed while in prison similar to 616 yet in the first Ult Iron man series, it was created differently as a kid. Also, the Nick Fury we see in that book is white like the 616 version.

Spidey also meets the FF in the same series and they are not the kids in the current series.

Yet the Marvel Team up does take place because the X-men team up is mentioned later in the series, the Hulk fight is the basis for the Ultimates title, the Black Widow meeting is mentioned.

6. Cheetatron

Also what about knowing Eddie Brock when he was a young child? According to Ultimate Origins Peter is still a baby when his parents die at the hands of the hulk

7. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    those old team ups were made b4 they ever even put the other characters in the Ult U, so they are totally thrown out the door IMO. i dont think game story is negated, its all just jumbled abt as to where it is on the timeline because the game wasnt set as to where in issue #s it took place. i do like the Ult Beetle for some reason, hes just a silent badass heh.

Ultimatum is definately turning out pretty interesting tho, i just hope they dont tear the hell out of the Ult U like they did the 616, totally screw over the avenger, kill cap, and now the skrulls are sposed to win via rumors. Uatu resembles mjolnir more than anyone now tho hah

8. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:

yeah you got them there, that and the whole family videos and stuff, damn guess they forgot abt all that...or the Ult FUry somehow brainwashed them.....this IS Fury y'know

9. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    We never actually see Richard Parker's dead body. And Peter's mum was never referred by her name, just Mrs Parker. So it's possible that Richard survived the Hulk attack, married another woman, and got killed for real by Venom on the plane

Although I'm clueless to why Bendis decides to change Spidey's history

10. Sparky Prime

Not all of the Ultimate Team-Ups have been thrown out. There have been a couple interviews with Bendis where he mentions most of the Team-Up issues still count but some have been thrown out. I also recall reading that Bendis has said that the USM video game is in continuity and that the current USM arc with Venom will deal with that.

Oh, right, I forgot about that part. And in USM, Peter even has that video of the Parkers and Brocks at the park...

Good point. There is still one issue left of UO so I suppose they could add another twist to the story... Although he wasn't killed by Venom, supposedly he was killed because of a dispute over the rights to the project.

11. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the Team-Ups ties into Ultimate Origins.
    When Spidey meets Hulk, Banner tells him 'It's all connected' which is replayed out at the beginning of UO

Also, Spidey first met the Lizard in a Team-Up which was then carried over to the main USM continuity.
    Which is a bit of a pain since I've not read the Ultimate Team-Ups.

As for continuity problems, I remember a Reed Richards building shown in a early arc of USM, and as said the USM game (which I enjoyed) is going to be folded into the main continuity in the current arc.

still, it'll be interesting to see how all the books will tie into Ultimatum.

12. Cheetatron

The new origin for Wolverine conflicts with the one alluded too in ultimate nightmare

13. Sparky Prime

The only thing I see in Ultimate Nightmare is Cap calling Wolverine "Lucky Jim"... I think you mean Ultimate War, because that's where Cap explained how he knew Wolverine (from WWII) and where the nickname "Lucky Jim" came from. And I don't really see a conflict there, other than Weapon X probably would have been calling him by the codename Wolverine or Logan instead of his real name...

14. Cheetatron

Yup your right misremembered
    My thinking is Wolverine has no memories of serving in WW2 no doubt a result of Weapon X memory wipes but there would be no reason for weapon x to deploy him in WW2( with his real name no less) and then wipe his memories but then maybe i'm over thinking things

15. Sparky Prime

Why wouldn't there be a reason? Weapon X saw Wolverine as the perfect weapon. Let him loose on a target and he'd get the job done. And memory wipes I'd have to think they thought would be a good way to keep him as a perfect weapon. Why they'd use his real name at first though, I just can't think of any good reason for that.

16. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know it's not the topic at hand, but I found another really stupid continuity error in the latest TPB of Ultimate X-Men, Apocalypse.

The first story is the single issue dealing with The Shadow King, in it, Storm is brought to the X-Mansion by Beast to be treated.
    The next issue when the new X-Men turn up at the mansion, Jean and co who had just spoken to Beast an issue earlier were surprised by his appearance.

Things like that are just really sloppy, made worse from the fact that both issues are written by the same writer, Robert Kirkman. And the art is really sub-par.

Out of interest who's dealing with the writing and art on Ultimatum?

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Marvel has not cared about continuity for some time now. DC can be just as bad but you can at least see some effort to try to maintain it.

18. Cheetatron

isn't it BMB and Loeb for writing duties

19. Sparky Prime

I think it's just Loeb. And Finch is on as artist.

20. Cheetatron

Not looking forward to that...