March Madness Tournament - Transformers Style

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Jan 18, 2009.

?

[Sweet 16] Contest #8: #4 Shockwave vs #8 Starscream

Poll closed Mar 21, 2009.
  1. Shockwave

84.5%
  2. Starscream

15.5%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I bring you the FIRST annual “March Madness Transformers Tournament”!!!! I figured this could be a fun tag-a-long with the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament BUT Transformers style. I have gone to the trouble (actually it was fun) of creating a 64 character Transformers Tournament that all of YOU can help determine the winner in.

This is how it will work…

For the 1st year we will look strictly at G1 characters. If people like it, in future years we can look at other shows (Beast Wars etc). I have gone ahead and chosen 64 characters. Then, those characters have been broken down in to 4 divisions. Within each division the characters have been seeded 1-16.

We will start the tournament today and it will run through approximately April 6th (The date the men’s basketball tournament will near conclusion.) Every contest will be open for you the transformer’s fans to vote on. This will be done in this forum. In the first round voting will be open for only 24 hours for each contest. All subsequent rounds voting will be open for 48 hours for each contest. After the deadline passes the winner will be named and the next contest will be posted.

Each contest will be a new thread. Winners will be announced in this thread. Votes will only count if made in the polls before they close. Once a contest is over it will be merged into this thread as well.

Each screename will only be allowed to vote in each contest ONE time!!

Discussion on said matchups, arguments as to why each should win, good and bad sides to each character and any other banter is ENCOURAGED! Let’s have fun with this!!!

Griping and complaining on the whole process is DISCOURAGED! If you don't like the idea please just ignore it and move on with your day, it will make this whole thing more positive and enjoyable!

So, without further ado, let the Transformers Tournament BEGIN!

(This is just so we can keep track as we go along...sorry I am not very good with making this look all glittery and glamorous and I couldnt figure out how to get a picture of the bracket to post straight to here...sorry)

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Region 1 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Omega Supreme(21) vs Rumble(5)"
    "Contest 2 - Thundercracker(9) vs Ramjet(22)"
    "Contest 3 - Grimlock (23) vs Ironhide (13)"
    "Contest 4 - Ultra Magnus (38) vs Sideswipe (9)"
    "Contest 5 - Optimus Prime (38) vs Brawn (2)"
    "Contest 6 - Slag (28) vs Bluestreak (8)"
    "Contest 7 - Blitzwing (34) vs Inferno (5)"
    "Contest 8 - Menasor (48) vs Warpath (8)"

Region 2 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Cyclonus(17) vs Scourge(3)"
    "Contest 2 - Shrapnel(29) vs Hoist(6)"
    "Contest 3 - Superion(44) vs Powerglide(6)"
    "Contest 4 - Springer(30) vs Trailbreaker(12)"
    "Contest 5 - Jetfire(35) vs Sunstreaker(14)"
    "Contest 6 - Rodimus Prime(30) vs Gears(9)"
    "Contest 7 - Predaking(44) vs Frenzy(10)"
    "Contest 8 - Sludge(21) vs Jazz(40)"

Region 3 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Perceptor(22) vs Ratchet(19)"
    "Contest 2 - Shockwave(44) vs Red Alert(4)"
    "Contest 3 - Starscream(40) vs Dirge(8)"
    "Contest 4 - Megatron(45) vs Bumblebee(8)"
    "Contest 5 - Astrotrain(23) vs Wheeljack(25)"
    "Contest 6 - Defensor(37) vs Cosmos(11)"
    "Contest 7 - Swoop(13) vs Prowl(43)"
    "Contest 8 - Devastator(49) vs Laerbeak(25)"

Region 4 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Skywarp(52) vs Thrust(2)"
    "Contest 2 - Blaster(33) vs Hound(13)"
    "Contest 3 - Galvatron(57) vs Cliffjumper(6)"
    "Contest 4 - Bruticus(43) vs Wheelie(3)"
    "Contest 5 - Metroplex(37) vs Ravage(15)"
    "Contest 6 - Soundwave(45) vs Tracks(9)"
    "Contest 7 - Snarl(25) vs Smokescreen(18)"
    "Contest 8 - Octane(3) vs Mirage(53)"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Region 1 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Omega Supreme(53) vs Ramjet(8)"
    "Contest 2 - Optimus Prime(71) vs Slag(6)"
    "Contest 3 - Menasor(50) vs Blitzwing(19)"
    "Contest 4 - Ultra Magnus(28) vs Grimlock(55)"

Region 2 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Predaking(52) vs Cyclonus(24)"
    "Contest 2 - Superion(57) vs Skywarp(17)"
    "Contest 3 - Jetfire(65) vs Shrapnel(12)"
    "Contest 4 - Rodimus Prime(58) vs Jazz(24)"

Region 3 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Megatron(59) vs Prowl(8)"
    "Contest 2 - Shockwave(66) vs Perceptor(4)"
    "Contest 3 - Devastator(34) vs Starscream(39)"
    "Contest 4 - Defensor(34) vs Wheeljack(28)"

Region 4 Results:
    "Contest 1 - Galvatron(54) vs Snarl(7)"
    "Contest 2 - Soundwave(47) vs Blaster(29)"
    "Contest 3 - Metroplex() vs Skywarp()"
    "Contest 4 - Bruticus(45) vs Mirage(29)"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet Sixteen Results:
    "Contest 1 - Defensor(11) vs Megatron(56)"
    "Contest 5 - Shockwave(71) vs Starscream(13)"

"Contest 2 - Metroplex(58) vs Soundwave(16)"
    "Contest 6 - Bruticus(15) vs Galvatron(59)"

"Contest 3 - Predaking(40) vs Jetfire(25)"
    "Contest 7 - Superion(35) vs Rodimus Prime(45)"

"Contest 4 - Omega Supreme(51) vs Grimlock(18)"
    "Contest 8 - Menasor(17) vs Optimus Prime(73)"

Elite Eight Results:
    "Contest 1 - Omega Supreme(68) vs Optimus Prime(33)"
    "Contest 2 - Predaking(66) vs Rodimus Prime(34)"
    "Contest 3 - Metroplex(59) vs Galvatron(28)"
    "Contest 4 - Megatron(63) vs Shockwave(44)"

Final Four Results:
    "Contest 1 -
    "Contest 2 -

For other voting opportunities, keep watching for the Transformers Final Four!!

Thanks for everyone who has participated so far! Don't let your voice go unheard!

3. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    you should add a poll in each it would help ya out a lot

4. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I didn't know if that was allowed on here or not, I have done that on my own webpages before but how do I go about doing that here?

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Sorry to be a wet blanket, yet again, but I really, really wish this had been done in some other forum here. I'll explain:

1. I realize there have been plenty of other threads in the past in this forum that were just as frivolous and pointless, but at least most of them were amusing/entertaining in one way or another. However, this one does not involve much actual "discussion" of Transformers and is something that I'd venture to guess many here could care less about.

2. There appears to have been no consideration for how many threads it will take to pull this off. You're including 64 characters, and starting a thread for each individual contest to tally votes? Oh. My. God.

3. This exercise in futility (while it may be fun to some) and the frequency and number of posts involved is going to cause dozens of newer threads where there is actual general discussion of Transformers to get bumped down into the subpages.

4. Even though I keep seeing "we" in these posts, I see no official endorsement or approval of this contest by anyone from TFW staff.

This being said, I would like to request that either this "contest" be moved to another forum ("Funnies" might be more appropriate), or that all the threads involved are merged into a megathread and thus avoid flooding this forum with far too many posts all related to the same main thread.

6. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I disagree with you about 100%. As long as people stop posting in threads where contests are over - then they are sure to drop down into the subpages themselves. At any given time there should really only be two threads concerning this contest on the main page. The only reason that is not how it has been so far is because people have been posting in contests that are over and not very many other people have posted in threads not related to the contest.

Also it has already generated multiple discussions through this forum and private messages and also if no one cared about it then there wouldnt be the number of views and replies that it has been receiving. If you dont like the thread just ignore it. AND I have NEVER used the word 'we' or claimed that this was sponsored by anyone else. Sorry if you dont like it but I have been loving it so far...

I would have no problem with the contests being locked after voting is over though to make sure they drop into the subpages...

and BTW - In reality all posts on a transformers website are frivilous and pointless and anyone who starts a statement with "Sorry to be a wet blanket" is not in any way shape or form truly sorry. That is like when people say "Not to sound racist" or "No offense" lol

7. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Dude, if people want to participate then that will speak for itself. I have been and I think this is fun and people are having fun with it, I can tell that. If you don't like it, simply ignore it. I think the threads have been speaking for themselves with who's participating and discussing the fights. If this idea was as bad as you said, then there wouldn't be 5 pages of discussion on both fights so far. If the moderators here don't like this or think it's taking too much space then they'll handle it. Thats not something that you should be so concerned and worried about. Seriously, if you're that worried about it taking too many threads, is it really a hassle to move your mouse and click on "Page 2" of the forums?

8. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    May I suggest Devastator vs. someone weak so we can see what people think about him vs. Omega?

9. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Then he just goes on to say "blah, blah, look at me - I'm the post-police, blah, blah". Talk to a Mod...

But, I think this a great thread! Very creative. Perfectly fine for the "General Discussion" forum. Very cool.

The only thing I could say is that it might be better with a mix of less than 64 characters - just seems like alot to track.

10. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Sorry the brackets were already made up before the whole thing started...

11. mecha

mecha Banned

unicron pops in...eats everyone for lunch...then leaves...tournament over.

12. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    And thanks for the pointless post...

And BTW - last time I checked, Unicron was beat by Rodimus by himself pretty much once upon a time...lol

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    One thing that could have been made clearer is exactly what "versions" are we using for the characters?

Should the decisions be based on tech specs, US Marvel comics, cartoons, UK Marvel Comics, DW Comics, IDW comics, Universe bios, all of the above? Some of the above? Even with tech specs alone, sometimes there's a huge dichotomy between the bio's abilities and the raw numbers. How can someone with a speed of mach 2.8 have a slower speed rating then someone who has a top speed of 250 MPH? Additionally, is there a "class breakdown"; that is, do the different "size" classes have different scales (That is a 10 firepower for a minibot is really only a 3-4 for an Autobot car, and a 1 for a city/gestalt), or are we to believe that Warpath and Fort Max have similar firepowers? FWIW, this has always been a sticky wicket in Transformdom.

You provide tech specs for everyone, and if that's what we should be basing our decisions on, that's fine. But if we start doing that, then we should start ignoring the treatments that said characters get in other mediums. However, when we start randomly mixing continuities, then we can get all sorts or responses. Or is this irrelevant and we should just stick to what is essentially a popularity contest?

14. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    IMO, as long as you are basing whatever it is you are basing strictly on G1 material you are ok.

Now, some have tried to talk about the animated versions of characters which I think should not be done. But, if you base it on the cartoon, tech spec(toy), or comic...I think all of that is fair game. I think an intelligent Transformer fan would base this on how they actually think the characters would fair if they met in real life and not just vote for whichever one they 'like' better. I know there will be those that still make this whichever one was more populat but there are a lot of us that have been actively involved that choose to break it down to what we think would actually happen.

I dont have an opinion on the UK, DW, and IDW material but I am choosing to ignore everything except the US comics, US toys & US Cartoons.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Since a tournament is no fun without forecasting (and gambling, but we'll forego that), I'll predict the outcome of Regions 1 and 2:

OS Stomps on Ramjet, minimum 10 vote difference
    Grimlock barely beats UM, less then 10 vote difference
    Prime slags Slag, minimum 10 vote difference
    Menasor devastates Blitzwing, minimum 15 vote difference

Predaking dismembers Cyclonus, minimum 15 vote difference
    Shrapnel and Jetfire - Too close to call.
    Rodimus Prime beats Jazz, less then 5 vote difference
    Superion waloops Springer, minimum 10 vote difference

Which would mean:

OS beats Magnus
    Menasor beats Prime

Predaking beats either of them
    Superion beats Rodimus.

Which would lead to:

Menasor vs OS. A very close battle that Menasor wins.

Predaking vs Superion. Predaking.

16. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Very Likely possibility, but I would differ on a few of your outcomes.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Shouldn't that be 37 - 11?

18. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Yes sir, sorry went to bed a little earlier than the poll ended.

19. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    I'm liking these results, I can't wait for the clash of the titans!!!

20. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

For real, the second round is going to be very very cool. I wonder who the sweet sixteen will be?