Customs: Managing long-term goals: what's the longest a project has taken you?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by clay, Oct 31, 2008.

1. clay

clay Well-Known Member

I think I may hold the record for a completed, minor project.

Four years to fix a peg. This does not bode well for you, Allen :-o

What about the rest of you? What's the longest amount of time you've spent on a completed project?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    My first Devastator - he was sorta my first "real" kitbash. I started with an empty box of parts and ended with 3 boxes full of extra parts. It took me 6 months, a few hours a night - religiously...
    I was determined on parts of that project and would stay up late with several to many attempts on the same obstacle. I've build Devastators since then in 4-5 nights.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    2 years to finish Cybertron Dirge, thanks to my apprehension of painting a digital camouflage! lol other than that, it took me 4.5 months to make Menasor.

4. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
  5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    clay, since it's Halloween, you may want to check outside your door because I left you a burning paper bag. You need to stomp the fire out!

My longest project has taken me nearly 2 years to complete, but it's something I worked on for a few days, hit a snag, put down, and just randomly revisited every now and then to consider the snag. The snag wasn't really anything that kept me from having a certain amount of finish, but I just didn't have the project pushed to where I wanted. The reason I haven't named it is because I've yet to shoot the finished gallery and post it yet. I have to say, the amount of time the project was in limbo (actually limbo was my display shelf as I did have it to a level of finish) really proved to be some good time spent :) 

Sorry to be so mysterious, but I'm still pretty excited about it ^_^

As far as true "long term projects", I tend to define these as projects I intend to take me a very long time. I lean towards the idea of considering my Alternators/Binal Tech customs a "long term project" in the singular sense, as I consider it a finite venture. Regarding the management of such a project, things such as creating "to-do" lists and making the plans are good ways to keep on track. Having a sense of direction gives artistic work a vector to work towards. I find that sort of thing very effective regarding the stewardship of artwork (which I could argue is the chief consideration of making art).

6. Napjr

Napjr Mr. Internet Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    My RiD Menasor

I think i started somewhere around january 2004, even before i bough my first dremmel-like tool. Changed different connecting pieces

He has gone under different changes, most notably Dragstrip (It was a blessing that Classics Mirage came out) and recently Breakdown

Several pieces are painted by now, but key details are missing (as well any paint for Dead end)

Another contestant would be my MP Star Saber, started before Menasor, however, i decided to scrap it 3 months ago

7. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

My 3 current wip combiner projects: Computron, Abominus, and Diabilis. Usually i finish a custom in 2-3 weeks, but finishing these guys is hard. I have 2 of Computron's bots, 3 of Abominus's bots, and all of Disabilis's bots but not enough combining material.

8. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Silver figure took me about 4 years on and off to complete. As for Transformers, it was probably Pre-BW Silverbolt, as I had it taken apart for ages before I got the equipment needed to finish it.

9. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

I'm working on making a kitbash of my fan character, its taken me about 2 months... mainly because I can't find or afford all my materials D:< Longest project in terms of working on a regular basis has to be my first kitbash of an Energon Rodimus into Combat Hero prime- took me about a month.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    . . . and it paid off because I've always really liked that piece :thumb 

I want to see you make this down the road. I was so excited about this project and I was upset when I found out you scrapped it. Finish it and then send it to me :D 

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I second SQ7's statment(s)!!! I miss Starsaber already :(