man theres alot of fanwank now

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Atlas Prime, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Nah.

Fanwank is like giving the fans what they want. Its like how Animated was full of G1 nods that only the die hard Transformers fan would pick up on. Its pretty much Fanservice.

Someone else said Hasbro put a fan's birthday on the Onslaught toy as a thank you/we recognise your love of the Franchise. Its true. Places like TFwiki cover it enough detail.

2. Spoon

Spoon Banned

See...

I see fanwank as an obtrusive inclusion in the story in order to give the fans what they want, whereas fanservice are the little *wink wink, nudge nudge* moments.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've always felt fanwank to be something put in solely for fans to get boners over. Perhaps it's also not really needed and might even have been crowbarred in and seem a bit out of place because of it, even occasionally taking place of something else which would've been far better instead.

But mostly it's for the boners.
    Need? Probably not. Want for storing my curry in? More likely. :) 

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fan nods (a preferrable term to wank, from my perspective) are completely unnecessary choices made by the design team to reference things that only we would recognize.

Putting a new Armada Hot Shot in Universe 2 isn't a fan nod... he was a pretty big deal throughout AEC, and recognizable to any kid who was into those lines. That was a character marketing decision.

On the other hand, things like the Stalker Scorponok numbers, the references to fan names in the original Beast Wars series (Subsector Hooks), painting toys in the color scheme of obscure Micromasters, etc... those are the things that I think of (and shake my head) when people say Hasbro doesn't care about the fans. Riiiiiight.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I like that explanation. It means we can argue about whether every fan-related inclusion in anything is fanservice or fanwank. :D 

6. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

This. Depth Charge from BW fighting Rampage at 'Starbase Rugby' is another example. Hot Shot's "Jaam" plate. Like I said before, Mondo's birthday for Onslaught's numbers. That sort of crap.

With enough fanservice, there's bound to be plenty of fanwank though, if you think about it.