Man Says He's on Heroin to Avoid Jury Duty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drake, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

What a moron. He could have at least found an excuse that wasn't a felony. :lol 

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Heh.

"You don't make a mockery of the process" says the judge who dismissed all charges.

3. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

My neighbor skipped out on jury duty last week. Being in her late 70s is no excuse I say!

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    She should get the chair, that obtrusive whore.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

In Florida if you're over 70 you don't have to serve. That's excludes half the population I think. Only time I served was a case where this guy was so wasted he almost hit three parked patrol cars with all their lights on flashing. Guy looked like he was even wasted in court.

6. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Why do you wanna force people to be on a jury if they don't want to?

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

Most people have better things to do (or at least think they do) and if they couldn't compel people to serve, they wouldn't be able to get a full jury for every case that goes to trial. Besides, you can prevent yourself from ever being selected for jury duty- by not registering to vote. You sacrifice a privilege in order to avoid performing a service.

8. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

His reason for doing it is terrible. If he is so against the death penalty then he should jump at the cahnce to be on a death penalty jury. That sentence requires the jury to recommend it. He could attempt to get the guy life in prison instead.

9. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I may be the only one but I want to do Jury Duty

10. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Not here in Minnesota. They also use the Drivers License database for jury pools.

11. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

You're not the only one. I'd like to at least once just to experience it. I've been called three times, but didn't have to stay any of the times. I came close last time, but the person confessed before the trial started or something so still nothing.

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd actually really like to, but have never been asked- I'm very interested in criminal justice. Plus, its a sure fire way to get time off work :D 

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

If your company pays you...

There is no legal requirement for a company to pay you, they just have to let you go. For many people jury duty takes up precious leave or forces them to go unpaid.

14. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

hahahaha, what a douche

15. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Eradicator lol, I'm sorry but every time I see you post I think of the Eradicator from season 1 of Kids in the Hall.

16. butz

butz slippery when wet

This true- a lot of places don't. Where I work they do compensate employees for various types of leave (I'm fairly sure Jury duty is one of them...) but the amount they pay isn't nearly as much as you'd make for working that time. Still, I wouldn't mind time off work (payed or not) so long as my job was there when I got back.

17. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont know how it is in other states, but I have been served once in CA and once in WA, and you know what I did? I threw it out....

Never heard from them again.
    If you don't acknowledge receipt of the letter, they can't do much of anything about it. It's not a certified letter, so they can't prove you got it at all. If you call for any reason and ask questions (whether they be how to get out of it or whatever), then you are completely screwed and you can be in deep shit if you don't go through with the process. And even if they DID follow up and say "Why didn't you respond?", well then you just say you didn't get it and you go through with it, no harm no foul. However, they wouldn't do that.

That said, I don't really understand why people try these crazy elaborate schemes to get out of it. Just throw it out and forget about it....they'll move on to the next person.

-Dusty

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

This is not true.

This is NOT true.

THIS IS NOT TRUE.

I'm not registered, and my whole reasoning was that I wanted to avoid jury duty, and I'm serving this week.

19. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm taking time off work this week to serve jury duty, and I'm not being paid...

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He almost certainly could have just mentioned that he was opposed to the death penalty and, if the accused were found guilty, he would absolutely not consider that sentence. I'm not that familiar with all the legal ins-and-outs, but would they even allow someone on a death-penalty jury if that person made it clear, regardless of the facts of the case, they wouldn't consider a death sentence? That's a pretty blatant bias. Besides, if the prosecution was really aiming for the death penalty as a sentence, they'd probably make sure he didn't end up on the jury anyways.

The problem in this case is that the guy decided to be an ass, rather than objecting in a reasonable manner. Good for him to stand up for what he believes, but he could have easily done it without being a twit (so much for 'tact'...). The judge shouldn't have dismissed the charges against him, though; just sends a message that people can screw around like this and only get a minor reprimand.