Man, playing as a scientist is tough

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any good tips on his loadout?

2. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I've got 3 different Scientists, all with different options (guns, abilities, perks).

It is by far the most difficult of the 4 to get a hang of due to their low health and frailty. Simply put, you cannot go in head on much like a Solider, Leader, or to some extent, Scout. They are support IMO.

The best loadout for kills, I think, is Turret/Shockwave. Biggest tip I can give is to learn when, and where, to fly.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    First off, decide what kind of Scientist you want to play. Do you want to zip about, drop down to pick someone off, and leave? Ditch the repair ray and load up with the EMP shotgun.

4. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Scientist is actually my preferred class. It took a bit of getting used to the complete lack of health, but now I'm jetting around the map, popping sentries and using the Repair Ray to heal friends and kill enemies. Shit is beyond cash.

Also, my teal and pink Shockwave is fucking awesome. :lol 

5. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    I like to be offensive, but I know he can't do anything head to head. I want to level all 4 classes to the max but I can see Scientist is going to be long.

6. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I'd go with the EMP Shotgun and Neuron Battle Pistol. EMP is a good hard hitter for when you zoom in. Generally, and this is when I play all classes, I also wait to move forward with members of my team.

If you want to play a bit offensively, fly ahead and drop a turret close to where the action will be. It can offer a bit of a distraction and actually cause some damage.

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    That EMP shotgun up close is a death sentence for whoever you're aiming at.
    Makes the Scatter Blaster look like a pea shooter.

8. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

It is tough, I play in your face style with the Scout, Soldier and Leader. It takes a bit of adjustment to break myself of that.

I think I'll get the rest of the classes to 25, then hit up Scientist so I don't have to keep changing my strategy.

9. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have 3 different, setups each specializing in a certain area... currently my scientist is level 10(also have scout and soldier at 10 and leader is at 13)

Engineer - specializes in turrets first then shockwave
    medic - specializes in healing uses sentry and drain
    spy - specializes in disguise uses disguise and shockwave

i don't recall exactly what i have with each set up, but i can type it out later if you like.
    also a GREAT way to quickly build up exp for scientist (or any other class) is conquest. i can get a little over 4500 exp using a scientist in 1 round of conquest(as opposed to 1500-2500 in a good round of deathmatch or countdown to extinction), the key is to constantly be taking capture points. each capture is a free 150 points! don't worry about defending too much(don't COMPLETELY ignore it either), focus on taking new points and killing those trying to defend it... you will probably die A LOT, but it gets the job done. i like to use my engineer specialization i mentioned earlier for conquest.

as for weapons, i mix up the shotgun heal ray and neutron rifle... skip the photon burst rifle, i've been experimenting with that one one with my "spy" but it hasn't been working out so well.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm getting used to Scientists now. once you learn to use them they kick ass..

I played with i think Darkblade or Marvel Knight in MP. we were on opposite teams and I used disguise and got the drop on him 9 times out of ten. I got so many kills that way. Trick is to take someone like the female. They kinda look like one of the autobots. Swoop in and drop a sentry and hit someone from behind. Once you take a guy out, if there are other enemies flee. live to fight again..

11. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Yes to the Yes on this.

This is actually very very smart. I think I will be going along with this strategy.

12. Frans42000

Frans42000 Well-Known Member

Well, there are a couple of tactics that I like to use.

First, the two maps where jets shine are Gorge and Orbital Platform(?).

First, learn where the overshield is located. Being a jet you can get there first 9 times out of 10. On the Orbital map, its in the upper cargo hold of the crashed Nemesis class starship. Gorge its located on the side exposed walkway.

Shoot and scoot. Even if there are two different targets to take out, do not push your luck. Any combat makes noise, which attracts attention. After just one kill, do not get greedy, take your win and go home. Heal up, get situated and go out and do it again.

Be mobile. I stay on my feet only as long as it takes to get to a spot to fly.

If you hear a missile lock on, transform and land. Even in open air maps, Ill do what I call a "vomit comet drop". I'll go to robot, even knowing that there is no where to land under my feet, and then transform back to jet before I die. The "death plain" cut off point is somewhere below the floor on each map. Its generally safe to fly under the floor in Gorge, and just down to the lower edge (but not under) of Orbital.

I like to fire off a few missiles at a ground pounder, transform and drop, light off a shockwave (my favorite ability in WFC btw), let off a burst or two of burst rifle, get my kill and then scoot. Generally I'll boost straight up, take stock around me and then go find a spot to heal up, ammo up, heal a team member, and then go back hunting.

My favorite is to take out sniping enemy scientists by landing by one and put an EMP shotgun to their head, or melee + shockwave. With the damage perk, I think you can kill a scientist outright with shockwave (ive had alot of luck with it).

Just some of the things I've learned already. I score better as a scientist then I do as a Scout.

13. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

the build i normally play as has the burst rifle and shotgun using the shotgun mainly, abilities i use are shockwave and disguise, the perks are Energon Storm, Master of Disguise and weapon stabalizer.
    i tend to disguise myself fly ahead of everyone to where the enemy are gonna come from try and drop behind them and start running towards the one i'm gonna kill then blast him with the shotgun, shockwave or melee and blast some more if needed then i bail outta there :D  go hide for a bit and repeat.
    i had problems with the class at first but now its awesome super fast paced hit and runs i love it, i find it the most satisfying class to play but it can be frustrating too.

14. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    I love using the Scientist class. I love to help out my team, as it really pays off in the long run when they are there saving your ass because you have only 3 health bars. So, heres my tips;

-Get used to transforming, its your best friend as a scientist.
    -If you have her unlocked, use Slipstream. I don't know what it is about her, but it seems she has a really good melee for a scientist, which can help get you out of tough spots.
    -Stick to the normal default weapon(the assault rifle) and repair ray. Many people don't know this, but if you fire the reoair ray at an enemy, it WILL kill them. It may be blue,but to them it shows orange, and it hurts them like any other weapon.

This is what I do.

When a match begins, Transform and fly off. Go straight to the other side of the base, and place down a turret. If you encounter anyone, use your shockwave ability(at least I'm positive thats availablefor the scientists,I forgot) and blast them. Then, fly off to the highest part of the map. When you see an ally hurt, Boost down to them, repair them, and fly off. Jump between Repairing and killing, and youll get a nice balance and flow going. When you get hurt,go hide until you see a teamate thats hurt,and doesnt have enemies near them. This is when you should use your grenade, as it will replenish your health and your allies health.

Remember,even though you have 3 health boxes, you are still very dangerous, because you can fly, which easily gets you outof tough situations.

15. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll fool around with him some more. I'll probably get the other 3 classes up to 25 first.

16. Prime327

Prime327 Banned

I love using the scientist on Conquest, I usually go to the middle area "B", throw up a sentry, Once I see the enemy I throw down an AURA grenade (Use the perk to make it last longer), shoot, then once they're close I'll use shockwave, If an ammo clip is close I'll reload the grenade and do it all over again, Great way to win a conquest match, the middle location is the most important.

If you're a lower level, I think I'm around 10ish, I use Energon Storm as my #1 Perk, Sentry Armor as my #2 Perk, and Sanctuary as my #3 Perk, If you use this right you can get some nice numbers, before I started doing this I was usually getting 15 Kills and 25 Deaths in a round of conquest, now I'm usually even.

17. The Constructicon

My favorite thing that I've discovered today is the transforming shotgun slide.
    You fly into a room at full boost, transform and slide across the floor until you're right on them, then EMP shotgun them in the face point blank before flying away so their allies can't hit you. XD

18. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    After playing a few more matches with a ton of Scientists in, one tip.
    Overshields.

Learn where they are on every map. Abuse the hell out of them. If you start getting damaged, run away and wait for it to respawn.
    An overshielded Air Raid with that godly shotgun wiped out my entire team (who all were under the effect of war cry) and managed to flee without a scratch.

Is it cheap? Yes.
    Is it a dick tactic? Yes.
    Does it allow you to totally destroy any class with ease? Hell yes.

I mean, personally I think overshields should be removed from multiplayer. If one team knows where it spawns and the other doesnt? Thats it. Balance destroyed. Team B is going to get steamrolled.
    Its just like whoring the power weapons in Halo, only these seem to respawn faster.

19. The Constructicon

That's not the game being unbalanced, it's people not knowing the maps.
    You shouldn't penalize anyone because one side is unfamiliar with the battlefield.
    The Overshield locations are fairly obvious too, it's not like they're a secret.

20. apparatus

apparatus pre-Spark toaster

Frans42000

great post !!!

I am a in your face kind of guy....dive bomb into the crowd, Drain, shotgun, Shockwave, shotgun, FLY AWAY asap !!!

other times, I may toss a heal grenade and stay in the midst while i shoot.

I suck at sniping but I've learned to augment my team, if they're assaulting, otherwise I will fly to a node and do my best to hold it til the big boys show up in which case I'll heal them while they do the dirty work.

the OVERSHIELD is our best friend....major. you may not outlast a toe-to-toe with a Warrior, but Leaders can get dinged up and you knock out enemy scientists and scouts rather quickly.

(it is tough to play Sci though as I am uber-aggressive...which is why I die more often :)  )