Man hit by car (CNN)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GavynN.X., Jun 5, 2008.

1. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I can't believe the people who drove around the body or turned around without stopping. Stay classy, people. It's stuff like this and the Kitty Genovese incident that really make you think about what you'd do if you were there.

I don't want to sound like Tom Cruise though, ranting about how I'd be the only one there to save them. :lol  I honestly think I would at least stay there and get people to direct traffic and call 911. Is that part that hard?

3. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

ouch...

And nobody did nothing to help...
    Douche bags....

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

What is wrong with people?

5. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I saw the whole video this morning at the TV station I work at here in CT. The people on Park Road are friggin scumbags. I'm suprised they didnt steal his wallet and shoes. He literally laid there for almost 2 mintues with people driving around him and other just standing there on the sidewalk. Horrible. horrible people.

6. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely nothing. Is becoming more and more... natural. Unfortunately.

7. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    What are you supposed to do? Touch the guy and injure him more then have him sue you? If it's a girl have her sue you for sexual harassment? What if he's all gross with eyes and guts hanging out? I wouldn't want to go near that... save it for the professionals.

In this case I think calling 911 IMMEDIATELY is really the best thing you can do for him and everyone around him, unless you are a paramedic or have a few Phoenix Downs on you.

Sure it looks really bad on tape but you hear all the time to just call 911 instead of trying to move someone. I guess it would have looked better on camera if they stood near him and called 911 but I think a lot of people are just afraid of seeing gross stuff. :p 

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Reminds me of GTA

Dude must've drove away to clear his wanted level

9. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    You don't have to be a medic to help the guy. The article states people did call 911 moments after the hit occurred. Using your own car to block traffic from hitting him or trying to find anyone local to the scene with medical training are clear winners. Being a little late for nearly anything vs helping save a guy's life shouldn't be a hard decision.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes, that -exactly that.
    You are supposed to do all of that even if he is all gross with eyes and guts hanging out. Even if you get sued.

11. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

no one could even say "hey are you ok?" man oh man, that's just awful.
    on a lighter note though, the guy's son... "Angel Arce"... that's a hilarious name.

12. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Sounds all too familiar. Years ago we were 1st in a turning lane and watched a young woman step off the curb (when the sign said walk) and get hit. As I'm trying to rush to her people were actually honking to try to get around me and her body. I finally said fuck it and used our car to block both lanes of traffic until police arrived. When they did they simply replaced my car with theirs. This of course pissed people off even more. SAdly, she died a few days later, but people are assholes.

I didn't give a damn about those people, nor did I care if the victim was gross or would sue me later. I can live with myself knowing I did the right thing.

13. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    *High Five* for doing it right. Sorry to hear she didn't make it though.

14. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    But you aren't supposed to touch people who are lying motionless on the ground. That's how people get paralyzed.

I can definitely agree with setting up a barricade, or some flags or something though, and just asking if he is okay and generally staying close by just in case. All of that helps and shows courtesy, but really the only thing normal people can do it call 911.

15. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

You can do more.

Check that they're breathing, nothing is ubstructing their airway, stop bleeding etc. Take a first aid course perhaps and prepare for a situation. Use common sense perhaps.

Law in Canada protects those who help people and offer basic first aid or assistance. You'd only get sued if they're conscious and flat out refuse help, but there's a loophole about the state of mind of the victim.

16. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's the beauty of Good Samaritan Laws... He can't touch you legally if you are trying to help. If they are unconscious, it's consent to allow medical assistance.

Women can try to sue for sexual harassment, but it's a gray area legally, and it depends on clothing and what not.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    It's true. One has to give consent to be helped. If they're still alert and talkative, you can't touch them or anything of the sort. In the court of law, your defense of "I just ran up to try and help, she was hit by a car!" will mean nothing if she says, "I didn't ask for help and he touched my breast. I want 4.5 million dollars please."

Accidents are just another way for people to get more money, especially from those who are really just trying to help. The justice system is severely flawed. Then again, it's become that way *BECAUSE* if it wasn't, people would be like "omg injured person, grope grope grope!". And if you think that WOULDN'T happen, you're fooling yourself.

18. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

To be honest, I would be afraid of coming into contact with disease or something if there's blood flying all over the place...so it's not like I would have ran up to apply CPR myself. But the idea to make a barricade to block traffic is very good - no one really expects someone to be lying on the road. He could have been run over a second time!

Shame on the hit-and-run driver!

19. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Sounds familar here too. I was driving home one winter night a couple years ago and watched as a car lost control and hit a police woman. She was just finishing up her report from an accident about an hour earlier. I immediately stopped and blocked the road. Cars and rigs started backing up both ways, but no one got out to help me. Thankfully, two witnesses from the first accident were still there. They called 911 (I didn't have a cell at the time). I checked the officer, she ended up flying through the air and landing face first into her patrol car's front-end. I retrieved her two-way radio from underneath her car and she radioed the Sheriff Dept. She insisted that we not move her, so we grabbed some blankets outta the car and covered her up to keep her warm. People were getting impatient, so I took on the duty of flagman and opened the far lane until help arrived. Help finally arrived a half hour later (bad weather that night).

Any good feelings I gained from contributing my aid were quickly overcome with resentment. When the other deputies showed up, the were mad that I directed traffic around the accident. As I said, there were plenty of Semi trucks waiting. It was dark, slick, and not very wide. There was no chance in hell of them being able to turn around, so I did what I thought was right. They were more concerned about tire tracks for evidence. Mind you, the car that hit her ended up spinning out and landing in the ditch. So its not like there was a hit and run or nothing. Then the questioning started. It was almosf like they refused to believe how the accident occured. Then when it came time to leave, they refused to let us pass, so I had to drive 20 miles out of my way to get home. This especially pissed me off cuz the ambulance and several squads drove through already.

So, would I do it again? Absolutely, cuz it was the right thing to do, despite having to deal with several assholes.

20. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Most states have whats called a Good Faith Clause. Which basically states that if you are helping or trying to help them from being injured further and you say move them in a way that could paralyze them you are in the clear.