Man dies of thirst during survival test

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drippy, May 3, 2007.

1. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

That's insane.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't have any words for this. I just...he's dead for no reason at all.

4. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

It is.

And I'm still trying to figure out what my responses to the questions asked in the OP would be if I was in the business of pushing people beyond what they think they are capable of.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Seriously WTF, if the guy is so bad off he's talking to trees, THAT should have constituted and emergency.

6. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

How atypical do you think that is in that line of work?

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I really don't know.

Could it be something they see on every outing? Every other outing? Once a season? Never?

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I don't know, I'm only looking at it from my own perspective, from what I understand hallucination is a sign of severe dehydration.

It would have been better to play it safe and let him fail the course in any event.

I'm interested in knowing if this is a common occurrence.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I did the medic thing in Iraq, and if one of my soldiers had hallucinated while we were working outside the wire, his ass woulda been headed straight back to base. If he actually collapsed, or if his vitals were off, I would have called a bird and no one would have given me a hard time about it.

Altered mental status means things are moving along dangerously--the body protects the brain at the expense of other organs as long as it can, so once that's showing signs of illness, it's serious.

And if I found out someone hadn't had a drink in ten hours, I would have lost my goddam mind at them.

If these people do that regularly to their vic...I mean, clients, then it probably wasn't all that uncommon. Not that it's okay, just that they were asking for somebody to die.

9. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Unbelievable. There are no words. People pay for this?

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

Constant Hallucinations? I would hope never. That's the brain failing and the body shutting down; the last sign before the onset of death.

I was a Boy Scout, and beyond camping a lot, I was also Order of the Arrow, which had an initiation similar to this, surviving on your own with nothing.

During one of our hikes, we had a fellow scout hallicinate, to which we suspended the hike for an hour, rested, and rehydrated. A single hallucination is bad, but it's bearable. After a bit, he recovered, we waited out the hour, then continued. He was fine, we made it within our target time, no problems. Another time, just friend and myself took a hike, and he ended up dehydrated. I had to carry him the last mile back to camp, and he had two or three hallucinations along the way. I carried him back to first aide, and he was nearly hospitalized for dehydration.

Getting sick I would think they'd see every time. A single hallucination probably every time, or every other time. Multiple Hallucinations? I would hope almost never. Constant? As I said, I would hope never.

11. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

It seems to me that hallucinations must happen relatively frequently or the guides would have been all over him with their emergency water.

And if the whole point of this survival test is to push people way beyond anything they think they are capable of, what constitutes an emergency?

I'm inferring from your comments that you view multiple hallucinations as an emergency situation in this case. I think I'm going to agree.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    so he failed the course then?

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:

That is really messed up KA, it is so uncool.....

That you stole my reply. Sorry, but it is the first thing I thought.

Poor guy though, pretty senseless.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Stole my response there too buddy..

15. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

It seems like its one of those things that's probably going to happen anyway with a course like that. It's only made more tragic by the fact that it happened so close to the water source. If you think about it though, that where it's most likely to happen. He went through the whole day and suffered through the whole hike and was so close to the water source, why rob him of making it there at that point.

But if he had been hallucinating several times, more than just the tree time, then that emergency water should have been taken out.

I'd be curious to see the course of the land that they're walking. It sounds like there were plenty of trees to rest and walk under to help deal with the sun.

16. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I would've said something. I mean so what if you get called a candy ass, get some water or something. Dont ever let yourself go to that limit, but the peeps should've looked out when he was talking to things that dont talk back.

17. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Note to self: Never go on a trip where the waiver they have me sign includes "In case of death".

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lol 

If I were in survival mode, I would hoard all the water I could...

this BOSS group should be shut down....

I feel for his family.