Minor/Repaint: Mampy's Custom ROTF Optimus Prime - with removable swords and custom gun

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by mampy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    More than a year after my last custom gallery, I'm back with the new Leader Class Optimus Prime from the Revenge of the Fallen toyline. It's an amazing figure and is definitely my favorite Transformer (and custom I've made) yet!

Without further ado, here are the pics! :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the weapons! I removed the dual swords and made them attachable with two sets of rare earth magnets each. I tried to emulate the "glowing hot steel" look of the swords in the movie by doing blending with orange and white paint. The gun was made from TFTM Leader Prime's gun and kibble from both the Leader and Voyager OPs. It also attaches very securely with two magnets. I'd love to do a second gun but I still have to find another junker OP to get it from. Anyone from the Philippines have his old, broken TFTM LC OP for sale at a cheap price? PM me. :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a groupshot of my customized movie 1 autobots, now with ROTF Prime and Bumblebee! I hope to add the newer ones from ROTF soon. :) 

[​IMG]

Check out an animated GIF of Prime transforming down there in the attachments section. :) 

I'd like to say thanks to the following for their help in making this custom possible:
    - dreadstar from Cybertron PH for help getting rare earth magnets
    - devastator from Transformers Philippines for his junker TFTM LC OP
    - Frenzy_Rumble, Encline, and Sabby of the Radicons for their inspiring paint jobs and mods on this mold
    - SpurtReynolds for his blending/highlighting tutorial, which I tried to do for the dual swords

Thanks for looking and I hope you liked it! You may see more (higher res) pics of this and my other customs on my Photobucket and Flickr pages:
    Pictures by mampynator - Photobucket
    Flickr: mampynator's Photostream

Attached Files:

2. mampy

News Credits:
    Err yeah.. I need some help here.

How do I make the pictures show up in full and not in thumbnails? Would that be better or should I just let it stay as it is because I have a ton of pictures and it would clog the thread up?

And, how do I change the "display picture" that shows up on the forum?

Thanks!

3. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, this is awesome!! I love the glow effect on the swords and the overall paintjob on prime is excellent!! Prime is definately my favourite mold from ROTF!!

I have to ask, how did you do the pinstriping around the flames??

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Looking great !!! The swords are awesome, and the pinstripes are sweet too! Nice work on the gun as well.:thumbs2: 

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  5. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it! :) 

I did them by hand using a silver gel pen, then immediately sprayed a couple of coats of clearcoat to protect them because the gel ink never really dries. Others have gotten thinner lines by using a teeny weeny point brush, but I could never get consistent results with them.

6. Bumblebee2008

Bumblebee2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll definately have to try using pens! I tried with a brush and it went horribly wrong so decided that my 1st ROTF Prime should become battle damaged, want to get another to have looking all nice and shiney!!

7. mampy

News Credits:
    Yeah, I tried all sorts of brushes on my junker Robovision Prime before settling with the gel pen. You gotta be really careful not to touch any of the lines while using them though, or else you'll end up with silver smudges that are pretty hard to get out without damaging the paintjob.

Good luck! :) 

8. chax

chax New Member

Its perfect bro! from weapon to paint. your works are always movie accurate. :thumbs2: 

9. Dave_6

Dave_6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic work! I love that gif!!!

10. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

I agree. This is fantastic. Nice paint details on the head! And I, too, love that gif animation!

11. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

looks great man,

and for the pictures, look in the tutorial section, there's a thread in there about attaching and displaying the pictures. and if you still have trouble, just ask a mod, i'm sure they would be happy to help you.

and for changing the default picture in the thread, I'm curious about that as well. I've seen others do it.

again, great custom! and i love that group shot

12. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Whenever I change the default pic, I usually delete them all and reupload in the order I want. Remember, the first one you upload is the default!

This thread may be useful to you all as well!:thumbs2: 

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...21506-you-stuck-posting-images-no-longer.html

13. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats is one amazing Prime man. I'd say up there with the heavy hitters of the Radicons.

Edit:Never mind Big hank got to it before I did. :lol 

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That is awesome! Love the weapons and the group shot looks great!

15. amir_anti_yosi

amir_anti_yosi Well-Known Member

ei mamps! you did'nt tell me you were working on a prime as well? great job! especially with the pinstripes, and you gotta teach me how you changed the hands, every step!

The dark color for Prime is kinda growing on me. great job mamps! GO PINOY!
    I have a TFTM movie Prime but this ones Premium, you really gotta tell me how to change hands

16. amir_anti_yosi

amir_anti_yosi Well-Known Member

I hope your not referring to my metal/gel sign/dong-A silver pen???

17. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks bro! I do take some artistic freedoms from the CGI references as well, but I'm glad that you think so. :) 

Thanks guys! I grabbed the TFing GIF idea from another customizer from another forum and I'm actually surprised that not many people are doing it. I think it's pretty cool. :) 

Thanks for the help! :)  I tried to photoshop the background on the group shot so it comes out as a darker, flat black like some other people do on this boards but I couldn't quite get all the texture and "lighter" areas out.

I get it now, thanks! :) 

I'm honored that you think so. I actually got the idea for the gun from the one you made for your TFTM Prime. Thanks! :) 

Thanks man! :) 

Hehehe.. Gotta keep 'em surprises to yourself. :cool:  Thanks!

I personally like the darker, duller gray drybrushing finish because a bright silver stands out too much with the red/blue unpainted plastic. I got the articulated hand mod from F_R. Check out his tutorial here.

I recommend that you use a regular TFTM Prime if you have one so you can salvage the guns as well. :) 

Yup that's what I used. It never dries and the ink smudges if anything touches it, that's why you have to spray clear coat to protect the stripes. :) 

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome work on that gun bro. Might need to eh hem, borrow the idea of it for my own. With some differences obviously.

19. TFfan14

TFfan14 New Member

dude can you make a thread on how to do the swords mod, and also make a tutorial on how to make the gun?

20. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks man! Be my guest. :) 

Yeah sure, I'll see what I can come up with.

EDIT: Here you go: Tutorial: Simple removable swords mod and custom gun for ROTF Prime