MAME arcade games

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flywheels, Aug 25, 2007.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know this technology is far from new, but I finally got around to downloading the newer Windows based MAME program yesterday and downloaded a few free ROMS of old arcade games I remember playing back in the day. Wow, what fun...at least as much fun as it gets trying to use your keyboard in place of the original joystick controls.

Anyhow, I killed an hour or so going through great 2D "beat 'em ups" like Double Dragon, Metamorphic Force and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.

Anyone else into the arcade emulation gaming too?

2. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I was a couple years ago. Now I can't find the ROMS online.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I have somewhat tentative plans to build an arcade cabinet and throw my current decrepit PC in to run it. I'm replacing my computer soon and was trying to figure out what to do with it; it's 6 years old and struggles with most tasks at this point, but it's still plenty capable of running 15-20 year old arcade games. I always wanted an arcade cabinet, and what could be better than one that runs hundreds of games?

4. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I used to be huge into it. Now only large into it. I'm starting to get into MUGEN.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

That sounds pretty much like what I had plans to do, but being lazy isn't helping. I even have one of those old huge Xbox display things from a store to make the cabinet making easier (although cheating) but I never got around to getting joysticks for it, or getting the old PC working.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I'm still playing MAME games as well as NEO-GEO and Capcom games. I've got like 4 gigs of that stuff. Whenever arcade bug gets me, I play King of the Dragons, Magic Sword, Golden Axe and Return of Death-Adder, Samurai Shodown series, AvP, Capcom D&D games, Black Tiger etc.

If you're looking for MAME roms (and SNES and Genesis) I can point you people in the right direction.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I've got tons of this stuff. lots of early 90's capcom games, especially, along with the neo geo stuffs. I also have the entire collections of snes, genesis, and most of the sega cd games. it's amazing how much better they are than most of the stuff released nowadays.

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Middle of next year is when I am shooting for to build a full blown MAME Arcade Machine. Then again I have been in the Arcade business for 18 years so it's about time I built one.

9. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a good way for me to figure out what my next full size arcade machine will be without having to spend any money! While I'm not into video games as much as I used to be, I still love playing the old school arcade games I remember playing back in Jr High and HS. I'm not all that interested in ROMS from the home consoles as I'd rather just buy the game (darn collector in me I guess), but it is a good way to gauge those games too.

Never thought about building a MAME arcade though...great idea. I'm pretty sure I can get a full size cabinet locally too...I'll have to look into that.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i dig the capcom fighters. i especially like the vampire saviour/darkstalkers games, i got a neato usb thing for my mac that lets me pug in 2 ps2 pads. its pretty cool when i plug it into my tv, its like having a big ass arcade machine, without the sticks of course.

11. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Does anyone know of any good 6 button game pads I can use for CPS2 fighters and SNK fighters?

12. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

I haven't tried myself, but aren't 360 controllers compatible with mame?

13. Pembroke

Pembroke Good Skyfire. Good boy!

I enjoy finding weird games I've never heard of and playing them on MAME.

14. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

There is a 360 controller they sell specifically for PC's, but that is a 4 button face. I need something like the Sega Saturn D-Pad with 6 button face. I don't use MAME, I use different emulators depending on the game. It's impossible playing King of Fighters and Street Fighter Alpa on a keyboard.