Customs: Making you own stickers?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Mar 14, 2007.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I know some people here know how to do it, and I have some questions.

What program do you use to make them?

How do you get them to the right size? Trial and error?

What sort of paper are they printed on? Is it some fancy sticker paper?

What kind of printer will work? An inkjet? A color laserjet?

I'd like to try and make a few custom ones, and any info would help.

2. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Testors Decal Kit

You can pick these up at Walmart for less than $10. I find the spray very helpful because it seals the ink onto the waterslide sheet. Krylon clear acrylic also works to seal in the printouts. I don't use the disk that comes with the kit since I have a Mac, but if you own a PC you may find the readymade decals on the disk useful. I just create whatever decals I want using Photoshop. Any number of programs would work fine, like Illustrator.

As for extra decal paper, you can usually find it at craft stores like Micheal's and Ben Franklin. If that doesn't help, try something like decalpaper.com

As for correct decal size, taking measurments would help, but it can be a little hit and miss sometimes. I'd suggest printing your decals on plain paper first and test fitting them. If adjustments are needed, so be it. If you're reshelling an Alternator or building a kitbash from a model kit, use the model kits decal sheet as a basis for the size of the new decals you create.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Thanks, just what I needed to know.

4. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i design in Photoshop or Illustrator. i actually scan the toy, and work of the scan pic as a map, then remove the layer, and all your left with is your design. i use either a presure semi-gloss sticker sheet, for this i send to a print shop because it is actually not available for personal printing, or i just use a 4x6 semigloss photoquality sticker paper, avaialble from most photographic or scrapbooking store. the quality is amazing.

5. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Bookmarked.
    If those URLs aren't in the comprehensive thread (sticky), they should be.