Making Public Hasbro's Distribution Choices with RtS?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Quixote_Prime, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    If Target and Walmart declined the RtS voyagers and scouts and Walmart declined the RtS deluxes but not the BiS battle pack, why can't Hasbro just let its US fans know where to find these things if anywhere?

My guess is that is part of their business agreements or information they can't make public. If so, it's still a shame. These are great toys and fans deserve a fair shake at them.

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I was just thinking about this before.For the few of them that have actually been found,you'd have to think that there are a bunch of them sitting somewhere.I can't believe that Hasbro made such a limited number of these figures.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    My guess is anything that wasn't picked up by TJMaxx/Ross/Marshall's (etc) or retailed in the international market was destroyed and recycled. The hit Hasbro would have taken on that end is nowhere near the profit Hasbro can make on DOTM. /business

4. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Actually, your post in either the WI sightings or another thread about this made me start this thread, Autobobby!

5. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro had nothing to do with the distribution. It was up to the retailers if they will order the toys.

6. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Are you stalking me? :) 

That would be really sad if they would destroy/recycle a figure that I am willing to drop $20 on,but can't because I can't find one.

7. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    But Hasbro knows who ordered their toys and could make that knowledge public.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If stores only ordered a limited number, then Hasbro would have only made a limited number. It's not like they make huge batches of figures and then try to get stores to order them; that would put them at risk of being stuck with a lot of product and potentially having to destroy it.

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And if I'm not mistaken, Hasbro sold the figures to Walmart, Target, etc who then sells them off to discount retailers at their cost to free up cash and shelf space.

10. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Destroyed & recycled? What would you wanna say that for? What a horrifying thought! Could you imagine, Windcharger & Wreck-Gar being melted down to make DOTM figures? Someone fetch me my heart medicine! (Clutches chest. Falls over)

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    The best question might be: what would be the point?

If Hasbro came out and said "Sorry, the big guys didn't order much/any of last spring's toys in favor of selling existing stock and waiting for the movie, but we sent what we had left to Ross/TJ Maxx and such discount stores", how does that help you? If you don't have those stores in your area, what does it matter if you are actually told where the toys ended up. (Which Hasbro probably CAN'T tell due to business agreements)

Furthermore, with the exception of Windcharger's scout assortment, EVERY DAMN TOY LAST SPRING WAS AVAILABLE ONLINE FOR MONTHS. They did NOT have an overnight sellout, they did not hold anything back, the entire spring assortment was available online for MONTHS, as far back AS NOVEMBER, depending on the item.

I'm sorry you couldn't walk into Walmart and get your toys, but this is not the first time this situation has happened, nor will it be the last. It was pretty obvious by the end of March if you had not seen the stuff in your area, you probably weren't going to see it all. Even up to the release of the movie toys, a LOT of the spring stuff was still available in some form. If you can't order online, I'm sorry, but I think a lot of this fuss (especially over a scout figure, mostly) is vastly overblown, and could have been avoided, ESPECIALLY if you have a debit or credit card (if you don't, then, I'm sorry, but life isn't fair)

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    This is what it ultimately all boils down to, isn't it? Spoiled Americans who expect to find everything at Walmart, preferably at a discount.

Pardon me for not shedding a tear. I'll now go to a local store that may have had Windcharger, but no Generations toys ever and not a gazillion other toys you lucky Americans could and can get at Walmart with ease either.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Why didn't anyone ask Hasbro this at BotCon?

14. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Then whats the point of Hasbro having its own website if they are not willing to list them there? Hell, most of the sought after figures sell out quickly there? Maybe Hasbro should also think about changing their case assortments and stop pushing out repaints of characters that are pegwarming. Don't any of their reps venture into toy aisles?

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Hasbro Toy Store ultimately is a retailer like all the others, it just happens to be owned by Hasbro.

It's not Hasbro's magical "giving you everything you want and can't find anywhere else" storefront.

Case assortments are decided months in advance. If a toy is warming shelves NOW and the redeco is already in production, Hasbro won't overhaul their case assortments just to avoid the redeco clogging shelves too.

16. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    This. I had forgotten this. Thanks for reminding. It's out of Hasbro's hands.

17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bring it down a notch, will you?

Spoiled Americans? How incredibly rude. I realize that not all of us understand the plight of the European collector, but most do and we wholeheartedly sympathize.

There are plenty of us who are American, who aren't spoiled, we do see the plight and we try to help when necessary. I find this post of your's incredibly offensive.

18. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt this happens. Target, for example, does not do this. They clearance things, and give leftover stock to Goodwill for a tax deduction.

Some things obviously go straight from Hasbro to Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls, like the RtS voyagers and Windcharger scout waves, as well as the never released at retail GI Joe stuff from earlier this year (the Sand Serpent jet, for example).

Stores might do it with stock that's never left a warehouse, but stores don't warehouse things for months. They order enough for the stores, then have an order of about 30-50% of that original one to backstock warehouses. A toy line would have to either: completely flop (like Avatar or Tron) or stop selling VERY SUDDENLY for a retailer to be stuck with stock in a warehouse.

Transformers won't go from retailers to discount chains.

19. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I've read contrary things on newspapers and sites on the internet (how is that possible :)  ??) that Target does donate unsaleable goods, especially clothing. Contrary stories about Walmart's practices abound (no surprise) and they either seem to donate, resell, or most probably, destroy their goods. Some commentators thought that this practice was to prevent returning to WM goods bought elsewhere (goodwill, discounters).

20. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    It was a bit on the cruel side, yeah.