Customs: Making plastic inserts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by joopsta, Jul 31, 2007.

1. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    Hi,
    Does anyone have experience with making plastic bubble inserts??
    I know they make them by thermoforming and suck it vacuum.
    I can make a mold of silicone of the inserts, but haven't found a way to create the insert. I thought maybe with a hairdryer or something???
    I work in a lab, so have got some tools to make it, but need some advise.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

well, I looked into building myself a rig for vacuum forming some time ago, and basically all you need is a heat lamp, and a table with vacuum to it. could be just a piece of peg board with an air tight chamber underneath it connected to a shop vac. You just have to heat up the plastic sheet under the heat lamp (has to be suspended), and once the plastic gets nice and soft, quickly place it over the table with the vac turned on. It should pull the plastic material down against your shape and to the table, but it may take a few tries. If you ever watch mythbusters you can see episodes where Adam tries several times to get it right. :lol 

IMO, you might try something easier. If you have a paint gun you could just spray a very rigid curing varnish like for furniture and then just pop the cured varnish off of your silicone mold. Not sure how it would stand up to flexing like plastic would, but you never know....

Just my two cents. :) 

3. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

well, I looked into building myself a rig for vacuum forming some time ago, and basically all you need is a heat lamp, and a table with vacuum to it. could be just a piece of peg board with an air tight chamber underneath it connected to a shop vac. You just have to heat up the plastic sheet under the heat lamp (has to be suspended), and once the plastic gets nice and soft, quickly place it over the table with the vac turned on. It should pull the plastic material down against your shape and to the table, but it may take a few tries. If you ever watch mythbusters you can see episodes where Adam tries several times to get it right. :lol 

IMO, you might try something easier. If you have a paint gun you could just spray a very rigid curing varnish like for furniture and then just pop the cured varnish off of your silicone mold. Not sure how it would stand up to flexing like plastic would, but you never know....

Just my two cents. :) 

4. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here is a site on vaccume forming. here They give a step by step on making a rig and copying a piece from an old amusement game.

5. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here is a site on vaccume forming. here They give a step by step on making a rig and copying a piece from an old amusement game.