Customs: Making Eyeholes for LED

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deaculpa, Jun 12, 2011.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    Im looking to install an LED on a lager bot, but it seems i need to clear out his eyes first for the LED to shine through. Ive never seen any info on how to do it (best tools, etc) and you really only get one shot to get both eyes right. the pro's seem to make the perfect shape so, any advice?

a good example is uuser's metroplex.

better example if you scroll down the page here.

2. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

This is all speculation since I haven't done this myself, but I see no reason why these won't work...

If it's lightpipe eyes, then there's no need to remove them - you simply carve out as much space as you need for the LED and wire it through the back of the head or under the head etc.

If it's opaque eyes I've heard that Gundam modellers use plastic from a CD case and carve that in to the right shape. I'd probably cut out a small, rough shape of the plastic, lay it over the eye socket from the inside to see where the shape will fit within the rough shape and try and scribe the plastic using the eye socket as a guide. Or instead of scribing just colour it in! That way it marks out the shape for you and you just get to carving the thing.
    Obviously, to get the colour you'd just use transparent washes.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shouldn't have to carve for clear eyes. If worst comes to worse use surface mount leds like controllers have.

I've never heard of people carving clear eyes for opaque (not that it doesn't happen). What most do is either cast the eyes or whole head in clear polyester.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I carve mine out. it's a tedious process. Make adequate space for the LED / wire, then fill (from back) the eye sockets with hot glue. Paint from inside and outside, install light. seal up any light leaks.

[​IMG]

5. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    awesome. what tools are you using for something this fine?

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I just use hotglue never failed me (well you should have holes or eyes sockets by default or carved out first) then I place the led or ligthpipe and hot glue the whole inside of the head mostly via the back or the bottom/neck until the glue almost comes out of the eyes.. I once have to much came out and looked like it was crying but the hotglue is slide/cut then to perfection :D