making custom transformers boxes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Feb 26, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    since we were talking about custom boxes in a few topics, i want to ask a few quick questions. i do love how minty they look. how much does a box for example like smokescreen cost to make compare to a custom big box such as primus g1 style? the supplies would be ink, the cardboard boxes, the styrofoam inside the box to fit the figure. who even makes the stro inside the boxes to fit the figure? and where would we buy the custonm cut boxes to the g1 box sizes? who would make the clear window for the boxes? i know everyone can print on the boxes, but who makes the other things mention above for the boxes? im thinking is it worth it to make or buy a few of these boxes. is the quality the same as the real boxes? same thickness? they all look great in the pics. but i never held one in person before. ive seen a few on ebay. and a few stores charging 35.00 to 50.00 for a small custom box for the size of smokescreen. im not interested in selling anything. i would not even consider making them since i suck at making anything custom. im more interested in buying a few and im just wondering what really goes into making these boxes for the prices they charge? so hows quality compare to prices charge for the boxes? do they include the styro inside to hold the figures? so do you think its worth it? or is it better to just buy a mib or misb real box instead for the costs?

2. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    Just look at some threads in the radicons section. I also made a "how to make a custom box" in the Radicons help section I think.
    You can't make the styrofoam, well, not as tight as molding them by machine.
    Making a custom box is so much work. Believe me, I know.
    Check out some threads by me in the radicon section. There are some nice repro and custom made boxes from me and others.
    But to make a nice box you have to make a lot of time free and know a lot about Photoshop.

3. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Who the Hell is making custom boxes & why?

4. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes i dont have any free time, and none photochop skills at all. yes 0 skills..........