Making custom melee weapons

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SCORPONOK80, May 24, 2011.

1. SCORPONOK80

SCORPONOK80 Well-Known Member

hi, I am new to the world of Customising Transformers. Personally I am very reluctant to alter my G1 Transformers toys in anyway, however I do want to make some melee weapons for:

• Bludgeon samurai sword
    • Octopunch's Trident
    • Strangleholds mace

I have got a Mace from a animated swoop for Stranglehold, what type of paints should i use? Warhammer or model paints?

Not sure how to do Octopunch's trident as I did see some bionicle Tridents but it was expensive.

I would like if possible to make them out of some sort of modelling clay e.g. sculpty or whatever its called. I tried to find some online and didn't get any good results at all.

Attached Files:

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    HFTD Terrordive's trident might work...

3. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

I'm Calling SQ7 in THIS should be in CREATIVE GENERAL DISSCUSION.

4. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Before this gets moved I'll just add that if you're going to make melee weapons your best bet is getting styrene sheets and rods seeing as in the right thickness (5mm to fit peg holes etc?) they'll be far more durable than using sculpting materials. The rods can be used for handles and the sheets can be carved in to blades to be slotted in to/ mounted on the handles.

Sculpey would be the one you're referring to, which needs to be baked in order to set and even then it's basically a ceramic so it's not going to withstand being stuck in to a figure's fist much!)

As for paints, Games Workshop's Citadel paints should be fine. For beginners acrylics are a cheaper and easier way to paint figures since there's less preparation and they can be thinned with small amounts of water.

5. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

Okay that's better. Sorry 'bout that but allow me to explain. If you are discussing an idea but don't yet have any work to display then the topic goes in the creative general discussion. When you have work to dhow off put in the Radicons Customs section.

I look forward to seeing where you go with this project.

6. SCORPONOK80

I hada bit of trouble trying to upload a post as it kept asking me to put an image on or add tags which made no sense. It does explain though why i couldn't post. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm a bit confused though don't you use sculpey to make Heads? they have to be durable?

For octopunch's trident i might use some lego parts for example kinna bionicle they do some mean looking tridents. Jus need sanding down and painting.

It would make sense to use Swoops mace for Stranglehold as it has a ball with spikes on it.

I will put some photos once it is all complete.

7. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

I'd say Apoxie Sculpt would be better at making heads from scratch than Sculpey, but even then if I could find a cheap fodder head I'd simply use that as a base and add some putty on top of that so it's durable. If a head was made entirely of sculpey and it was on a ball joint, it's extremely likely that it'd just crumble apart!

8. SCORPONOK80

what about creating a Botcon dreadwind head would i use sculpey to make the mask part or just Apoxie Sculpt to redesign the entire thing?

9. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Apoxie Sculpt to make the mask.:) 

10. SCORPONOK80

Ok, I only asked as the Botcon dreadwind is ridiculously expensive and doesn't really look all that good to be honest. I also need a loose Classics jetfire i might try moy henkie but reluctant too as it looks cool on my shelf.

11. SCORPONOK80

12. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Posts as in the weapon hanfles? If those are Marvel Universe figures they'll be way too small since they're 3 3/4" scale.

13. SCORPONOK80

I'm going in the city tommorow to look for styrene or some action figures that have samurai swords.

The chain for Stranglehold will be the easiest to find I'm planning to use Animated Swoops Mace and then find a bigger chain for it.

The trident for octopunch would be the hardest I can't really think of any Figures that have tridents, except aquaman... and Terradive...

14. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Just looked at a DC Universe Blue Devil. He comes with a pretty good-looking trident.

15. SCORPONOK80

I got a modelling kit today, including: *2 Knives, set squar, pliars, chisels and lots of other useful stuff.
    Some paint brushes and a self healing cutting mat.
    I also got some styrene allthough the rods were too big for his hands 4.8MM but funnily enough did fit in Octopunches and Strangleholds but NOT Bludgeons which is very odd indeed.

I will either get some smaller ones or sand it down a bit in order to add some details.

I also got a Animated swoop mace coming and am looking at some lego chains.