Customs: Making clean cuts in plastic please help !

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sharkysharky, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Sharkysharky

Sharkysharky Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to try to reshell a deluxe with a tamiya model shell, but before I go slicing it up I was wondering if there's any tips on making clean and more importantly straight cuts in plastic, as if I use a dremel or jewellry saw it wanders off all over the place ! Any tips please before I go turning TFs into expensive plastic ribbons ? Thanks !

2. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

I think maybe a heated x acto would work, but don't count me on that! Wouldn't want your model just melted.
    The more sure option is just to score repeatedly with an xacto until the part snaps free, however it takes some patience to get it nice and clean (at least for me). If it's a curved part, you'd need something like a tape measure and use it to draw a line for where to cut. Flat pieces are obviously easier, where you could just use a ruler.

3. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    I've tried the heated X-acto knife myself but it was not remarkably easier to cut through thick plastic.

I would also think that you should find a way to keep the part you're cutting in place to help stabilize things when you're using a dremel/jewelry saw. Think vise grip in woodworking class.

In any case, you can use sandpaper to smoothen out the edges you've cut. It will also make the seamlines/gaps between panels bigger so you should be careful not to overdo it. :) 

4. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Jeweler's saws, hobby saws, and X-acto knives (with micro saw blades and regular blades) are great options, but I offer another.

Regular cotton thread! IF you have a small table vise or the like, you can clamp your piece in the vise and use the thread like a friction saw! Wrap the ends around your fingers a few times and just use a sawing "flossing" action!

It makes precise extremely thin cuts, and you can change directions quite easily.

Practice on a scrap piece of plastic and you can get the feel of it.

Remember to use cotton thread, nylon thread doesn't generate enough friction heat. Also dental floss won't work because of the wax coating.

6. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    cotton thread huh? That sounds like a neat idea

7. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm i might try that, any example of that with any of your customs big hank?

8. big hank

News Credits:
    Actually no! LOL!! I used to use that technique for cutting open trunks and doors on car models, and wing flaps on aircraft models. I have to get to work on some figures in a moment and I'll cut one up using thread, and take some pics!

9. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool! sounds good

Obviously that method works nice on models, but what about other kind of plastics?

10. big hank

News Credits:

With patience it will work on pretty much all "rigid" plastics. The nylon infused types, and soft rubbery types it may not work as well. Never tried though. I still have to get some example pics, my back has been plaquing me this weekend and I can't seem to get any work done.