Making an R/C Enterprise, need some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pepsiman98, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

I recently started working on a project with a friend of mine and we're going to build a flying R/C Enterprise from Star Trek. We think the one that would fly the best is the 1701-D, so we're currently in the process of desinging the plane. we went on google to look for some how-to stuff on this and we didn't find anything helpful for a scratch-build project, so we're thinking about figuring it out ourselves. My friend said we could just remove the foam body from one of his R/C planes and place the circuitry and everything on the foam body of the Enterprise, but i don't think it's that easy. what do you guys sugest?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't think the shape of the Enterprise is aerodynamically designed to create lift. It would have to have wings, or you could use one of those little helicopters. You can barely see the propeller when it's spinning so fast.

3. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, of all the Enterprise variants, I think the E would give you the most aerodynamic design. Also, is this going to be using more of a plane or helicopter flighty type?

4. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, of all the Enterprise variants, I think the E would give you the most aerodynamic design. Also, is this going to be using more of a plane or helicopter flighty type?

5. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

The saucer section would act as the wings in the model, because it would create the most lift. also there are some R/C Enterprise models that fly pretty well, factory and home made.

1.thank you for bringing the E variant to my attention, didn't know what it looked like untill your post prompted me to google it.

2.it will be a plane.

6. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no problem. just felt it was the most sound model. hell, you might be able to put some control surfaces on the nacelle pylons.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hate to disagree with you guys, but the D model could work as a practical model.
    Don't believe me? google "Radio Controlled Flying Lawnmower". if that can fly, the D model has enough surface area to provide lift and control.

good luck with this! post pics when yer done!

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It can be pulled off with some props. Large one on top and maybe an additional smaller one beneath the rear plate thing so you would'nt have to tilt it down like a heli cockpit to get foward momentum. Or throw some tandem rotors on it instead.

Would go with the Air Hogs tech, but boost Ghz, freq, power etc.. then after you've perfected it, do it for real and go turbine
    Would recommend carbon fiber for the framing. Fuck foam

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Yes, the Enterprise D will have enough surface area, but is it the right shape? Lift is created by one side of the wing being more rounded than the other. The Enterprise is too similar on top and bottom of the dish. You'd have to drastically change the contours on it to create lift.

The flying lawn mower doesn't fly because of aerodynamically created lift. It flies for the same reason a helicopter does.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Doesn't the 1701-D have a more curved upper saucer section anyway? And if it doesn't, you could 'make it so' (heheh) and still get the desired effect of the Enterprise.

Even the body could be modified slightly so the upper surfaces are more curved, I mean, technically thats all you need to achieve lift, more rounded upper surfaces.

The Saucer, main body and horizontal surfaces of the nacelle pylons could all be used for this, and the actual engines could be the engines for real surely?

How will you get it to turn? Airbrakes? I don't know much about radio controlled aircraft, but my brother in law loves them, has a full size one which he flies around a lot.

11. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as cool as this sounds, I can't help but think that your Enterprise D will fare no better than the Enterprise D in Star Trek Generations... hey, regardless, it'll make a great video!