Customs: Making a comeback...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hi there one and all. I just wanted to stop in and re-introduce myself. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I looked around and didn't see anything...if there's an official Radicons intro area I'm blind to it.

I love customizing. Even as far back as the 80s as a kid I was trying to mod things with sharpies and white out...:redface2: 

I'm 34, and was in love with TFs ever since my first, Thundercracker. I didnt even REALIZE there was a show in the works, and I was sitting there playing with G1 Prowl eating cereal and watching cartoons as usual, and then G1 episode 1 just popped up on the screen for the first time, unannounced to me, and I went bonkers. That opening scene on Cybertron is burned into my memory forever. I got out a couple of waves after the movie.

I got back into TFs at RID. I saw that Prowl in the store, had a flashback to watching that episode, thought the figure looked cool, serious, modern and complex, so I bought it. I've been in ever since, even getting through Armada. Talk about a shift...coming off the more awesome, serious RID design of toys like the Car Brothers and the Train Brothers, we got the first wave of Armada with winners like Hot Shot and Cyclonus. I had to lie to myself that they didn't seem like Fischer Price toys in comparison...but I got through it...:D 

I started into seriously customizing halfway through Cybertron, I guess. Thanks to tutorials online by some of the masters, I got the ingredients I needed and have been learning ever since.

By the time Classics rolled around, my skills were improving and I had started to gain confidence. I had sold a few customs for a very flattering price, and was slowly building a name.

Then, it happened. All within a few months, My grandfather, dad and best friend all died of cancer, my wife asked for a divorce and I had to start my life completely over, albeit it in a state of crushing depression, so priorities moved around fluidly, and instead of being in the workshop (ok, I really didn't have a workshop anymore) I found myself in various states of distress.

That was almost 3 years ago, and I've finally gotten back to myself. Things have stabilized, I have a nice 2 bedroom apt for me and my daughter, and a great job. My apt features a large walk in pantry. I didn't need it at all so I turned it into the new Iacon Studios and have started up the love again, this time with a full range of supplies and creativity. I also have the new Marvel 3.75" figures to work on.

Anyway, I'm very excited about what the future holds as far as customizing. For TFs, my goal is to have a "Classics" fully articulated version of each G1 character up through season 3. After that, we'll see about Rebirth or the Japanese continuation of G1. Thanks to all those carrying the torch for the past few years....there's pages and pages of stuff all over the internet of awesome customs.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    You're even more ambitious than I am. I'm not planning on every TF up to season 3, just most of 'em. hehehe good luck!

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I truly feel for you, bro. I lost my father back 2003, my grandfather in 2001, both of my grandparents (including my Japanese grandmother who I was VERY close to and who helped get me into all things Japenese--including the toys and cartoons). At the moment, I've been helping my fiancee with her father who has cancer--so it's been a rollercoaster ride for me for years now as well. I honestly don't know how I stay upbeat and positive, but somehow I do.

I'm sorry you went through all of that stuff, man. But I will say that I'm glad to see you're doing well since. It takes time for the pain to subside--it will never truly go away, but you can find comfort in the things you love and the family and friends you still have surrounding you. You also have the kitbashing community to fall back on, both for fun and enjoyment, and for help and advice--and most importantly, friendship. Sure, most of us are strangers, but we all go through good and bad and it's cool to know there are people out there that can lend some friendly support and advice when things are rough.

Just channel everything into your customs work. From what I've seen, you do great work--so continue with that. Things may never be what they were, but life is what you make it. Just know that your lost loved ones are in a better place now--as for the divorce, I'm sorry man. Things can only get better from here. Good luck with everything and I'll keep an eye out for more of your stuff.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Every TF up to Season 3...

That's a lot of Autobots. LOL

Cannot wait to see what you've got in store.

5. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow, sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you. welcome back

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    good for you man, as sad as it is your past, you can't let that shit keep you down. You know better than any of us that they'd want you to make the best out of the rest of your life.

So effin do it all. If you ever need help or wanna shoot the shit, send me a pm.

7. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear your life is looking up and getting back on track. Congrats man. Can't wait to see some of the stuff you do in your new studio!

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, that's really hard. I'm sorry to hear you lost so much so quikly. You have friends on the boards for sure, and welcome back. I hope to see some good things come from you in the future. Maybe I might even learn some things from you. Good luck to ya!

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome back to hacking up perfectly good toys and making them even better. You have had a helluva past man and good for you to come out of the situation on top of things hard as they may have been. Looking forward to you customs, you got lots of work to do. lol

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  11. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Hey man, nice to see you back! Hearing stories about people digging themselves out of a hole is really an inspiration to me. I'm in a bit of a hole myself. I've had 3 wip's on hold for over 3 months now, due to the fact that I lost my job back in Feb. and was out of work for almost a month cause the economy if terrible here. I'm still working my way out of some serious debt. I know my problems are nothing compared to what you've been going through. You are truley a stronger man than I my friend. I woulda been painting in a padded room by now if I were in your position! lol. But I'm glad to see things are looking up for you! I can't wait to see more of your stuff.