Customs: Making 5mm pegs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tiller, May 4, 2010.

1. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I want to try my hand at adding 5mm pegs to weapons that don't have them, such as old G1 guns and the like. The question is how. I was thinking of severing some minicon ports on some old armada junkers and replacing the weapon pegs with them through a simple cut and paste method. I was also recommended to try to find screw heads of that size and just jamming them in, but I'm worried that will just look wrong.

If any of you seasoned Radicons out there could lend some words of wisdom, I would be appreciative. I have next to no experience customizing outside of ripping off parts I don't like. XD

EDIT: EASY SOLUTION FOUND. There are tons of great suggestions in this thread, but I found one that should be inexpensive and comes with all sorts of parts!

I just found the perfect thing. Thanks guys, but rummaging through my old stuff I found these beauties.

[​IMG]

The Zoid Z builders. These guys were plug and go with little connector joints like this.

[​IMG]

And typically they come on racks like this:

[​IMG]

These are perfect for 5mm holes in the hands of Transformers that have them. Actually all their ball joints and elongated parts works with any Transformer 5mm hole. You you can combine this stuff with other Zoid parts and stick them on Transformers. They are long enough to cut down the middle and use both sides to attach to weaponry that otherwise didn't have a peg that fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lulz jet back pack

So yeah. All these suggestions are great, but if you can find these guys cheap pick a few up just for the joints. I knew zoids were great places to look for customizing parts but I completely forgot about these things. They're practically begging to be painted too.

2. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

i have also been looking for something like this. I am trying to find styrene rods this size but no luck so far

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Evergreen makes a styrene tube that is 3/16", just shy of 5 mm, but it might work. The other option would be to get some 7/32" tubing and sand it down. The downside is that you don't want to sand through the wall, but the tube itself could be easily filled.

As for attaching, I would drill out the weapon and make sure that you new peg goes below the surface and glued into place. I think glueing it just on the surface will make it easier to snap off.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Um, i tried Evergreen's styrene tubes. Very damned close to 5mm, but they're as loose as all hell. Don't do it. Seriously. Keep your money.

As for me, i'd use the cut and paste method, ripping the 5mm peg from any junker bot you have. As long as you make sure there's still enough remaining of the peg that the fig can hold it after the cut is made, you should be fine. You don't need to countersink the peg like Boggs6ft7 said, but if you an obviously that's best. It will stay on without it, though. Be careful with it if you don't countersink, and it'll last a long time. Obviously, common sense should be used. Don't drill out a weapon if it's less than 5mm wide, for example. :lol 

Alternatively, It's much easier just to draw up a 5mm rod (that you'd cut into whatever lengths you needed), and have it printed in Shapeways. Means you don't have to go around devouring Minicons. All you need is Sketchup.*

*I guess you could also just DIY your own weapons, but that's more advanced.

5. Tiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks guys. I think the Shapeways might be perfect if I can get it to work, but it does seem like a bit much and I'd rather have a snug fit for the guns. Is there anyway to just pad an existing peg so that it reaches 5mm in diameter? Or are there any cheap solutions like minicon pegs that reach 5mm?

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Well, if you want cheap, nothing beats plain old Epoxy putty. Just wrap it around the peg until it's the right size, and let dry. I've tried it with Milliput, and it works.

One problem though, Milliput dries Green, and no paint's gonna stick because the gun handle's under so much friction. Best get the Black or Superfine White variants, though i haven't used them myself.

Also, about Shapeways, i'm gonna leave the questions to Venksta. He knows more than i do.

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With Shapeways, if you order a 5mm wide peg, you probably will have to sand it down. And if you plan to paint it to match the gun the peg will goto, there is a chance the paint might rub off. You can give it a shot though. I think the White Strong Flexible material will be good enough for the peg, or even the Black Strong Flexible version.

8. Tiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright. Thanks you guys! I think I may just go with WSF. I was thinking Epoxy but I'm not sure if they make that in darker colors because I do want to paint down the guns.

In any case, I'll either bump this thread or make a new one with my experience with WSF and I'll keep the model sheet in the event anyone else wants to try it.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  10. Tiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ You've got to be kidding me. I can't seem to find any on ebay and I would have to buy 2 tons minimum for those. It would be perfect though. XD

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    look up lollipop sticks on ebay, send a few of those sellers a question asking the diameter.

12. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    I went to a place we have here in Duluth, I got about a 4 foot rod of acrylic for two bucks, fits perfect in standard holes.
    I should have asked if they have any colored variations, these are all clear. If you have problems finding stuff and want to try these, shoot me a pm. I got these for handles and light piping.....

13. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Aren't those small lego/Bionicle pegs 5mm?

I'm pretty sure they are. If I ever find one in storage, I'll check.

14. Tiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you think this stuff works and won't have much problem painting, then shoot me a PM if you can get some more. I would be...interested. Yessssssssss.

15. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    For what it's worth, I did a Tutorial on the Kidbash Blog a few weeks back showing how to do something similar:

kidbash - Blog - DIY Power CoreCombiners

I'm a big fan of acrylic rod myself (it's cheap and versatile), but I might give the lolipop sticks a try too!

D/L

16. Tiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's exactly what I needed. Which one did you buy? Cheap, and versatile so when I do screw up it won't have cost a fortune.

17. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    cool, so I wasn't off in what I was thinking.
    Thanks Des, now, how well do they hold paint I wonder? I haven't thought about it until Tiller asked about it. I was going to use mine for lightpiping some stuff I'm working on.

18. Tiller

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just found the perfect thing. Thanks guys, but rummaging through my old stuff I found these beauties.

[​IMG]

The Zoid Z builders. These guys were plug and go with little connector joints like this.

[​IMG]

And typically they come on racks like this:

[​IMG]

These are perfect for 5mm holes in the hands of Transformers that have them. Actually all their ball joints and elongated parts works with any Transformer 5mm hole. You you can combine this stuff with other Zoid parts and stick them on Transformers. They are long enough to cut down the middle and use both sides to attach to weaponry that otherwise didn't have a peg that fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lulz jet back pack

So yeah. All these suggestions are great, but if you can find these guys cheap pick a few up just for the joints. I knew zoids were great places to look for customizing parts but I completely forgot about these things. They're practically begging to be painted too.

Updating first page with this in the event anyone else needs help with this. Really easy solution found!