Customs: Makibox 3d printers-$350!!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by thedreaded1, Mar 5, 2012.

1. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Makibox are selling their 3d printers for $350. This might be suitable for peeps here who are working with Shapeways that want to move to the next step. I'm thinking about taking the plunge myself.

There's more info on their kickstarter page
    MakiBox A6 - The $300 Desktop 3D Printer - Makible

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's nifty, but I'm sticking with Shapeways until these personal printers can produce parts at a comparable resolution and finish quality.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've seen this one - problem is, he doesn't even have a working prototype yet and it sounds like he's going to use proprietary parts and filament.

My money is on the printrbot. It costs more but it uses (mostly) standard parts and filament, and it's a tried and true design.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I remember you saying you were gonna get one. Did you already buy it? Or is it on the "to get" list?

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They haven't gone up for sale yet. When they do I'm definitely getting one.

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So the Printrbot is up for sale now - however, I went with the Makibox and preordered it. Mostly because of the price, but the more I read about it the more I feel this will turn out to be the superior machine in almost every way. He decided to use standard filament and that helped my decision a lot.

The prototype should be printing any day now, and after that it will move to manufacturing surprisingly fast according to the inventor. If all goes well I should have mine in a month or six weeks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some other 3d printers. Not as cheap, but for someone as picky as me with the printing resolution, these look good for making prototypes and mockups.

Cube - Cubify

3D Printer

8. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The Cubify one is nice but it's the same technology as all the ones I mentioned, so the resolution will be comparable. It just costs more due to it's prebuilt plug-and-play nature. You won't get significantly better prints from that over a finely tuned Printrbot or Makerbot.

That other one - awesome, but the printing liquid is insanely expensive. If the finished machine comes in at a decent price and they find a way to get the medium cheap, I'm down. THAT is high resolution at home.

9. Hyre

Hyre Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Good lord, the printer in that last link looks like it does fantastic work...and is creepily like a lot of scifi versions.