maketoys vs igear: seaspray

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Grandum, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Ideally I want deluxe sized (bumblebee) minibots, but since that doesn't seem to be an option my money is on MakeToys.

How about you?

2. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmmm......I like Maketoy's version of Seaspray better than iGears........

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maketoys wins for me based on Igears version having very funky shoulders.

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    They both look to have some +/- to me. I like the arms on the igear one better, but the shoulders and rudder placement look better on the maketoys. I think I like igears face better, but the figure itself looks a little too "busy". The more I look at them, the more I think they could both be improved, the rudder on both of them just looks a bit goofy to me. Atleast we will have some decent time to decide. Really excited that both parties are taking on the minibots. Cant wait for Huffer and Gears, two of my favorites along with Powerglide.

Really interesting to see these 3rd party companies starting to step on each other's feet with these and Devs. Gotta love options out there.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing that kills the MakeToys version for me is that it's in a two-pack with that doofy looking Powerglide. But it does look a bit cleaner than iGear's version.

But neither are optimal for me, anyways. I'd prefer more ~Deluxe scale Minibots. I don't like them being tiny simply for the sake of mimicking a 25 year-old cobbled-together toyline. The G1 Minibots transformed into 1:1 scale toy vehicles.

6. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    +1... not sure I dig Powerglide's giant noggin. But do think their Seaspray looks a little better proportioned.

Edit: just read the article on MakeToys, and the difference between them and FansProject (answering my question).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Neither. I am not interested in Legends-sized minibots, no matter how articulated.

8. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm so impossibly excited by these! I am a minibot whore, so I will def be picking up both of the Maketoys bots, and Huffer if it's available singly.

FWIW, I think Igears designs are a little bit clunky. And yes, I would like them to be deluxe sized, so they would fit in with my MP display, but they're bought on sight regardless.

9. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since Hover will probably not be available on its own and since I kind of like Spray too, I'll wait for iGear to unveil their Powerglide to make my mind.

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    For me, I like the big noggin on Powerglide. Maybe it is the Geewon in me, but he had a pretty doofy looking big dome in the cartoon back then. Im sure those who don't want him from the 2-pack will be able to recoup the cost if they don't want him in the end. Both figures fit better into my classic-verse than the giants that Hasbro gave us (though for some reason I do like Universe Gigantor Powerglide), but for some reason I don't like the new movie Powerglide, so to each their own. It is nice to have options out there.

11. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Ditto.

I'm thrilled by neither.

Though my reasoning is very much different from yours as I'm earnestly waiting out for an legit release by the Makers.

HFTD Seaspray doesn't cut it. Can't fit him into my Classics collection. :redface2: 

12. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I'm probably in the minority, overall I like Igears more due to the detailing. Their vehicle mode is far superior to Maketoys' imo, as is his head.
    Also, I think he looks goofier due to the way his arms are positioned, and the prototype is not coloured like Maketoys' either.

13. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I will prefer whichever one is cheaper!

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Maketoys is definitely closer to the G1 cartoon Seaspray. Gotta give it to them.

15. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    where is this article?

16. puffmarko

puffmarko psychological terrorist

Ebay:
    IMO, MakeToys wins for the "best Seaspray".

17. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I love that they are making these basic sized. Deluxe isn't right.

18. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I much prefer the fansprojec..cough...I mean maketoys version :wink: 

19. Jersey_Steel

Jersey_Steel Well-Known Member

I wish they would size these up to bumblebee/cliffjumper size, This kills me buying them because I would want to display the with the rest of my Classic figures.

20. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    THIS. This is why i don't care that Hasbro's Powerglide was huge, when his g1 toy was little. People got so bent out of shape. Face it, at the time, Hasbro grabbed whatever cool transforming figures it could find (and a few that weren't so cool lol) and threw them together. Not that it was a bad thing. It just doesn't need to be replicated every single time a new version comes out.

Look at these factors:
    Size
    Color
    Sturdiness
    Transformation
    Alt Mode
    Articulation

Now take say.... Goldbug. The Throtttlebot. Yeah you'd probably want it the same color. But today's toys are far sturdier (as in, things don't shear off so quickly, like they did in G1). So you wouldn't want THAT to be G1 accurate. Size - most of us like our cars Deluxe size these days. But i could see that going either way.

Transformation? Articulation? G1 Goldbug is barely fit to be a Mc'D's Happy Meal version of a present day version (say it was based on CHUG Bumblebee). arms that are really fold out doors. legs that are really a short pedestal. practically zero articulation. Would you want these things to be G1 accurate?

Alt mode. Yeah, most folks would want this to stay the same.

I'm not arguing that everyone should feel the way i do. (god knows that would NEVER happen) I'm just pointing out how i feel. Yes, these minibots that have been coming out are cool. But not $50 cool, or however much they're going to be. Especially when I have Seaspray and Powerglide, who turn into toy versions of real vehicles instead of 1:1 scale versions of toy vehicles, and they didn't cost me an arm and a leg.