Maketoys Utopia (Metroplex)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Kaijumaster, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I think that if they made two little ramps in the feet they could act like a sort of garage or hangar from which vehicles are deployed. Plus a little turret between the threads where the red translucent plastic is and city mode would have been near perfect. I'll try anche alternate mode with the legs in spaceshif configuraton, just sprayed apart, to simulate a city with anche helipad and two takeoff rampa for jets.

2. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man... I really wanna get this toy but reading through this thread there seems to be alot of QC issues..

3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Hn, no, not really.

The most common issue which likely every release of Utopia has, is that the grey transformation rail in his right shoulder has been inserted upside down. Fixable with a screwdriver and less than five minutes of work: unscrew three (?) screws, remove upper part shoulder, flip rail, replace upper part shoulder, re-insert screws (first turn them slightly anticlockwards so they fall in the existing screw thread) and rescrew. Done.

There are some reports, and sucks if you have it but it is a small minority, of parts into which the screws go being damaged.

But that is I think it.

4. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

Not long had Utopia and he is pretty impressive. As per the above post, i feel those toe hatches have got to be on the wrong way up. Has anyone come up with a fix that rectifies this? I don't really fancy trawling the entire thread for something that may not be there... Thanks in advance!

5. MegaDolrailer

MegaDolrailer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I got him, and outside of that ugly facesculpt he's superb (wish someone made a new face for him)

Here's the thing though. While I don't have the issue with the upside down rail, I have an even bigger issue. The lower left hole that the left torso goes into has no clearance

The L shape of the rail doesnt go in, because the hole doesnt have that indent:

[​IMG]

Red circle area should look like the green circled one, but there's white plastic in the way somehow???

Anyone else have this issue? what the hell can I do? I cant transform him into ship mode properly like this

6. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

A few days ago I had the idea that it would be really cool if Maketoys releases a Utopia and Pandinus at a smaller scale.

Somewhere around the MT Combiner Series size.

I‘d love to experience these toys but at the current size they are just too large for ny collection.

7. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You do know those two are Citybot series, meant to be larger than the MtCombiner series (for a reason), correct?

8. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

I know. But they are still too big for my displays. If I didn’t had the Mt combiners I would even be ok with Leader size.

9. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I don’t know if the rail systems and other aspects of the figure would scale down well. They’re already heavy components relying on really small notches and rails to move around for transformation. If you want a dope-ass Metroplex and you like the proportions, Master Made’s Titan is one of the best figures I own.

10. Vael6943

Vael6943 Well-Known Member

Just got this guy yesterday. Absolutely love him. Seems like I got lucky and mine is QC issue free. For anyone still on the fence, get him before he is gone. Still available new at Robotoybase for $269 + shipping. Just be careful with the guns. As big and bulky as they look, the tips are only held on by two small plastic tabs that can't take a fall.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

The thread bump is a reminder that I really don't do enough with this figure.

Shame, because not only is it an amazing figure to look at (and that I do daily), but he's also a lot of fun. And considering his size, that is definitely an achievement. Often, the bigger a figure, the less fun it is to pose. But Utopia has the kind of articulation that makes him fun to put in different poses and he can take them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  12. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Mmm Utopia has held up as a genuinely fantastic and fun toy better than MT's own Pandinus for me. It's to the point I still kinda want the Dystopia version and really wish somehow MT can justify making another city bot some day but sadly I believe both Utopia and Pandinus didn't sell too well for them :( 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

The problem is that now people are getting used to 20 inches combiners and 24 inches citybots, so I'm afraid that there is no more space (or very little) for Maketoys scale. They could try doing bigger bots, but if they are asking $400 for Utopia, how much could it be a Fortress Maximus ad big as the Hasbro one?

14. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I doubt MT would ever make such a figure. And no release has been 24 inches yet so not sure what you're referring to there.

And its simply untrue that there is no space for this scale, MT would just need to make much smaller runs of these kinds of things so they can be more profitable for them. It's all about cost management and one of the big issues is how sellers demand companies make very large quantities of things all the time and its a big big waste of money if they do and the product sells 20% of its stock.

I would love LOVE max in this size, I would be over the moon delighted for max in this size. Omega and Trypticon as well but it seems like the citybot line may be as done as their mangamech line.

15. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

But a smaller run also means a larger price per unit to recoup design and mold costs. It would be a though sell.

16. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could be wrong, but I think Spence had mentioned before that these have sold pretty well over in Asia. I think they could make a slightly upscaled Fort Max that could toe the line between MP and CHUG and satisfy both markets. It would also have a couple repaints that could recoup costs. I also think a Trypticon wouldn't need to be much bigger than Pandinus. However, I don't think now would be a good time to put out another citybot considering both characters are still readily available from Hasbro. They don't really compare, but a lot of people have money sunk in FT Omega or MP combiners and don't want to fork the money over for another citybot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm disappointed that Maketoys has gone the route of doing YET ANOTHER Megatron, Optimus, etc and not the way they used to do figures before everyone else of characters we didn't get many of. They did headmasters, Computron and Defensor way before hasbro did!

18. Vael6943

Vael6943 Well-Known Member

IMG_0647.JPG Dat poseability tho!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Fast as a Sharkticon

Seeing this thread again reminded me of how hungry I am for a MakeToys Trypticon.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Beautiful. Too bad no one has released an Optimus Prime figure that is in scale at like 3mm high haha

• Like Like x 1