Maketoys Pandinus (Scorponok)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zula, May 22, 2014.

1. furycat

furycat Well-Known Member

ill be waiting for ko of this =D

2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

We were teased with an OS KO of Utopia but that either fell through or was BS. I have to say that Utopia, Pandinus, and Planet X's Apocalypse are all excellent renditions of what you would hope the MP version could achieve but all require an OS 60cm version. From what has taken place so far I don't see it happening. You also have to ask yourself, other than a few of us, how many people are going to shell out at least $250 for a KO. How many corners are they going to be able to cut to keep the price down? Because of the size, torque, and weight it seems problematic to skimp on plastic quality, ratcheted joints, and overall structural features. If it looks like sht from the outside no one will buy it. These companies are already taking big risks on these bigger characters with a $400 price point.

3. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

With also the added risk of having their market killed if next year Hasbro announces their Titan Scorponok.

4. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny, I recall the same thing being said about PX's Apocalypse when TR Trypy got announced ;) . I doubt it as there are a good number of fans not happy with the TR Titans.

5. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Well, Apocalypse it's not a straight KO of an existing toy but a different interpretation, it's in a better position.

6. furycat

yea thats true the ko company mostly will change the plastic material and cut down many uncessary joints. however the price also reduce by 50%. for example:
    bruticus have 3P (wukong) that price of 400$ then come Machine boy that cost me 200$ with onslaught WK, then come Jinbao with price of 122$ i heard JB is bigger than WB/MB and the quality is good.
    devastator is mostly been ko like crazy... that new KO of GT might cost less than 150$.

the one i impress is the takasa tony. the smell of the plastic is stinky but the quality is alright.

anyway i might/want to get the MT scorp, i just dont want when i purchase it then a few months later bam the ko version going to available.....

7. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

When has anything of MakeToys ever been KO'd?
    Many people are fooling themselves with waiting for KOs of these fine 3rd Party customs.
    It would be more likely TR Metroplex would be KO'd rather than any MT city bots.

8. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Green Giant and the Laser Prime armor. But after that none.

9. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

The way I see it, if you like the figure and can afford it, support the original maker. Even if it get KOed in the future you'll still know that your money would help the development of more amazing toys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

Wouldn't really call the Devastator KO a KO of Green Giant though. I would just call if a KO Devastator. It was a completely different cast than Green Giant if I remember right. The only thing I remember them having in common (from video reviews) was that they green and construction vehicles that changed to robots and combined to one big robot.

We could of called it a KO of CW Devy if it was the era and that would fell into this same category.

Good memory!

11. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure why anyone would wait for an unannounced KO of a third party product. The only KOs that are likely to be made and are consistently decent quality are the masterpiece KOs. Pandinus is a legitimately great figure and easily worth the money if you can find a deal on him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. furycat

yeah sorry for the question i just have to ask, i once bought the bruticus MB it cost me 160$ then suddenly come jinbao with price less than that. i know i cant really compare 3P to "KO of KO" company, my heart just despise my purchase if i buy an expensive 3P then a few month later come the KO.
    i can get it for 340$ is it good deal?

13. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It never hurts to ask. Warbotron Bruticus has been a unique case because the KO quality has been really close to the original. The other combiners that have been KO'ed don't have anywhere close to the quality of the original, with the exception of the Toyworld throttlebot figures.

The quality of the Maketoys citybots is good enough that I wouldn't feel bad if they came out with a KO. I bought Pandinus from Captured Prey for $325 when they had their Black Friday sale, which is the cheapest I've seen him new. I've seen him in the Facebook groups as low as $300 used but I think $340 is a pretty good price.

14. luckyman76

I agree with you on waiting for the KO. I think less than a quarter of figures are KOd off so it is really not reliable. I personally liked the designs I mentioned and would have paid the OEM price. I am not buying any of these figures because of the size. I cannot buy a $400 bot that is the same size as my OP when I know it should be about double the size. I would much rather have Utopia than my GenMetro but there is just no way I can make it work. The citybots are behemoths and larger than any of the other robots. I have the Armada Unicron, I don't expect or ever need another. I am not a slave to scale but you have to draw the line somewhere. For me, this is the Grand Canyon.

15. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying a set of legend class or WST figures just to give a sense of scale to my citybots so I agree, size can be a problem.

16. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMG_0307.PNG The size is a positive and negative. I think it works better as a display piece at 18 inches than the Hasbro titan class figures do at 24 inches and they don't topple over if you look at them wrong. I can fit the Maketoys in a display case whereas I can't really do that with the Hasbro. Honestly, I wouldn't mind a 3P to go all out and make a 3 foot Metroplex that scales with the FT Omega Supreme. Here is a pic of them with Legends scale figures from the A3U review.

17. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

They look perfect.

18. luckyman76

For the reasons you mentioned and what happens at greater weights and torques, I think 24 inches is the barrier with TT for a reason. 20-22 inch combiners with the 24 inch city bots is fine. I don't think the small child thing will work for the city bots. Too expensive, shipping nightmare, etc. I don't think the point is ever to scale the citybots with the rest of the group. In reality it is impossible, ie Metroplex 700 ft tall. They simply need to be massive enough to be menacing and at least bigger than the combiners. For me they should always be opposite each other because that is always the case. Combiners get intermingled in battle with the group so they need to have some relation to the group because they split apart. Leaders should rise to about the knees.

The problem with Utopia, Pandinus, and Apocalypse is they are 13-14 inches next to a taller Star Saber, Carnifex, and any combiner. I realize they are not MP but you literally have three of the four that to me fit the MP design aesthetic and achieve truly wonderful designs. I think they are quite exceptional and I would have not hesitated to purchase all three. These are not hollow like GenMetro. I am not a fan of TR FortMax and prefer my original instead. Sadly Hasbro has three of them done and as usual missed the boat. I can accept GenMetro for the deal I got but of course Utopia is FAR better but is it 10 inches shorter and for me $250 more better? No. I have to wait. I will tell you right now no one will ever beat that Pandinus design. The Apocalypse design is really special as well and gives Trypti a menacing look that the original never pulled off. MP to me means definitive, it doesn't mean exact copy of the G1 toon/toy although the threshold should start there. If your design kicks the crap out of the G1 you win. Carnifex is an excellent example in addition to Pandinus and Apocalypse. I don't care about the G1 toon/toy, IDW, StudioOx, or comic this or that just like I don't root for companies. I root for designs and may the best one always win.

• Like Like x 3
  19. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Maketoys Citybots are roughly 17 inches to the tops of their heads and 20 inches total. They are both several inches taller than Carnifex or Star Saber. I think that both bots are absolutely amazing pieces but each collector has to determine the value for themselves. I've included a photo with Pandinus, Utopia, TR Fort Max, Carnifex, and Star Saber to show how they scale together. Please excuse the horrible photography.

group shot.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  20. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    People throwing around silly numbers like 3 feet and 24 inches when GenMetro is just barely 22 and FT Omega is closer to 20. lol

Personally in my experience the only figure I've handled bigger than utopia and pandinus was genmetro and he had some very very severe problems, would very easily topple over due to his shit knee joints and hasbro had to compromise sooooo much with him he barely had more than the most basic articulation and was severely lacking in his aesthetics / paint budget / material quality / engineering etc. Him compared to Utopia remains a night and day comparison without a doubt.

Thankfully Fortmax was a bit of a step up for Hasbro and Trypticon seems to be a step up from him so they do seem to be taking their approach more seriously over time, bodes well for their Scorponok who I understand will be next years titan figure with Omega most likely to follow in 2019.

Of course FT's Giganticus will be setting the bar for figures of that size range going forward, not exactly a fair comparison though, but it'll be nice to finally see something that huge get the budget and care I've always wanted to see such figures receive. Nonetheless I'm not, nor ever will be one of those OH EM GEE MUST BE 20 INCHES TO BE WORTH MY TIME people who goes around yelling about how biggest is best by default and all that. You gain and lose things in different size ranges, and that's just how it always will be. So I'm in fact hoping a company decides to subvert the perceived requirement of city bots having to be towering monstrosities and instead consider making them in a much more normal size closer to say MP Starsaber or MMC Carnifex. That way you get something sizable but at an actual size that is easy to handle and fun to pose. These massive things are fine but the one downside all of them will always have is how cumbersome they can be just to handle.

• Like Like x 1