Maketoys Paladin/Chaos

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by jrxcombinetrain, May 30, 2013.

1. Toonimator

Toonimator Well-Known Member

Yeah, Chaos has the detachable miniguns in his legs just like the others. The "Chaos" part is identical to the Jungle & Marine sets, just in different colors & lacking the two clip-on guns.

Just got Heavytread from another member here, he's a fun little guy--my first official PCC figure (Paladin is my first unofficial one, arriving a few days earlier). Some of 'em are goofy, but I wouldn't mind getting a few more (and a Mobine set to pass around between 'em). MT and TFC really showed the potential of the line, so it's something I wouldn't mind Hasbro revisiting with that in mind... no more drones, I'd rather get one big 'drone' that split up into cool customizable limbs like the Mobine series or proper transforming robots that also became limbs like Iron Army. Adapters on the Commanders would also be great to see, so you could combine 5 (or more!) Commanders into a new gestalt.

2. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    That's actually kinda bad@$$, lol. Thanks!

3. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Sneaked a peek at mine via some covert operations (READ: convinced my parents I wanted to check for QC issues which was technically true). Excellent news! All the joints are nice and tight, very minimal flash, all in all I LOVE IT! Can't wait until Christmas now so I can actually enjoy messing around with it.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I did run into the issue of the left shoulder tread section snapping (horrifyingly thin plastic there Maketoys) but it went back together fairly painlessly and a small bead of superglue later (Loctite brand, love that stuff) and it feels stronger than it did before. I don't label this so much a QC problem as I do "user error" because I was getting a little overzealous with transforming Paladin. I knew that was a potential problem so I should've known better. Quick fix though and after a few more test runs (combining and transforming) it seems to hold up perfectly fine.

One minor quibble, and I'm curious to know if anyone else has this, when assembling the Mobine tank, does anyone else feel as if they are going to break the shoulder/rocket launcher pieces when pegging them in to the body of the tank? I was almost afraid to do it as I didn't want to break it (especially before I can "officially" open it and add it to my collection). I got them in but the fit is scary tight and were it not for the fact I needed to put everything back in the box so it can get wrapped and stuck under the tree I would've left well enough alone for awhile.

4. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine is exactly like that too. Crazy tight when pegged together in missile tank mode as it comes packaged.

I felt if I were to pull them stright out they would break, it was putting a lot of stress on the plastic trying it.

I pull the shoulder part gently while pulling it to the side slightly, that is the only way mine will come apart without what feels like breaking force.

I've put it into that mode a couple times now it seems to work smoothly that way on mine.

5. Altercron

Yeah I eventually got it apart by wiggling it a little while pulling. If I put them in the the PCC joint turned 90* (making it to where the missile launchers no longer pivot) they go in and come out much easier, which for display purposes is just fine. but since Im most likely going to display this as Chaos it's kind of a moot point.

6. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just plugged it in and removed it, but it's just as tight that way on mine.

Mine will stay in Chaos/Fallen mode too, so it's not an issue for me either.

7. Toonimator

Toonimator Well-Known Member

Yeah, that connector area in particular, I wish they'd gone a different way with... like a separate connector 'collar' (or whatever you'd call it) inside a larger opening, like most of the other ports are--only make the 'collar' black instead of orange.

Mine aren't scary-tight, tho I do worry about them when I go to separate it out from vehicle mode. Popping the launchers into the forearms for vehicle mode is a breeze. The only really scary bits are the tabs on the forearms that plug into the base of the shins for vehicle mode; the plastic feels like it has no 'give' to it, and I worry that a careless transformation might wind up with one or more of those tabs just snapping off. Not a big worry, as I doubt I'll ever be in such a rush that I just try to mash it all together...just one that floats around my brain as something that could go wrong with the toy. :p 

8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    So for the price, what are the big flaws of this figure? Thinking of buying it, but not sure yet.

9. Altercron

In my humble opinion? There isn't really anything off putting or anything that makes me regret getting him (of course it being my dad's money I spent on it might be a factor). I will say that I would've liked to have seen the plastic on the Paladin figure be a little stronger. And the PCC connectors be a little less finicky. But all in all? I/my Dad paid around $90 (including shipping) and I strongly recommend it. Chaos Paladin/ Fallen /whatever you choose to call him is deserving of a place on anyone's shelf.

10. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I mean I'll probably slice off the PCC ports, as I don't give a damn about them.

11. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    He has somewhat limited articulation due to how he's formed from pcc parts, his elbows in particular don't bend far. And people seem to get random tightness/looseness problems with the pcc connections. Some people got him with no issues at all, some got tonnes.

Overall he's a nice looking figure that ironically is just hampered by the same gimmick that is a selling point for his fun factor.

12. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This guy is utterly fantastic. A year of frustrating waiting somehow didn't manage to kill my enthusiasm for him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The combined mode ala The Fallen is still just a stunningly awesome design, love this thing to bits.

The pcc stuff and some of his joints limits his articulation a bit but he's still decently posable considering he's got more partsforming than a gestalt.
    [​IMG]
    He could have used a little more degree of movement in his hips and elbows but oh well.
    Really like that his gun has multiple display options.
    [​IMG]
    And he's pretty big too:
    [​IMG]
    Taller than you're average voyager.

Individual tanks are a bit boring but they still look cool.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And if you rearrange them a bit you can make a combo vehicle of sorts:
    [​IMG]

Overall I'd give him the following scores:
    Visual Design/Aesthetics - A+++
    Engineering - B
    Fun Factor - B+
    Build Quality - A

13. Altercron

He's held together by PCC ports

14. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    This is so fucking sig worthy...

15. RogueRunner

RogueRunner Phase-Sixer

LOL

16. Altercron

It is....if it didn't look bad "sig-ing" your own comments I'd totally do it

17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I mean the ones on the outside, not the ones that hold him together. Like the ones on his forearms and such

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But then you miss out on optional mounting positions for his weapons and such.

19. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC Schmuck

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    So you'd literally take away half the fun of the figure just like that? Seems awful silly to me. They don't stand out or ruin his appearance and they give you different display options.

I'm genuinely thinking of getting a second set just so I have more fun setups for him, using his arm and leg connectors I could give him leg missile pods or dual arm cannons. Heck could maybe make some kind of giant super tank if I had two sets.

20. Altercron

I had originally assumed that, but given what assumptions tend to lead to on these boards...