Maketoys MTRM-9 Downbeat ( MP Jazz )

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deathsheadII, Jul 16, 2016.

1. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We'll have to agree to disagree. :p 

All that said, this is still by leaps and bounds the most awesome looking MP scale Jazz anyone has made to date imo.

2. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    I'm like 98% certain that this was always the intention. The top of the visor is flat, as it is flush against that top part of his helmet, which is also flat. The seemingly "upward" angle is meant to accentuate the angle of the visor, in that the middle is more forward that the edges. Otherwise it would look more like some sort of split eye or glasses, what with that line down the middle. Manifesting that quirk of the art in the physical toy would make for a worse looking head sculpt (to most, I think). Sort of like how making Megatron's legs proportionally longer than his torso gives him the look of old-man-pants. It's an artifact of perspective, exacerbated by shoddy animation, that shouldn't carry forward.

• Like Like x 4
  3. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

Thank you. I wanted to express this, but it's hard to put in words. I think your quick shops are accurate representation of the animated model(s).
    But again, I don't think the face and head sculpt on this figure is bad...Just not "nailed it!"

You "assumed" that because you are correct.

Man, I've found my people!

4. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    And yet ppl still like it. Imagine that.

5. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    I still want derp face upward angled Jazz visor. :(  Lol. I guess I'll be the lone one who wants that. No accounting for taste. :p 

But I still love the way this figure looks regardless and would happily accept it.

6. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

You know, this one crept up on me....Flew under the radar for me, but damn, it looks great. If they choose a paint scheme/deco that works for me, this might be the only Jazz I'll need/want.

7. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I tried to give it the derp visor that you wanted. You were right. The forehead section of the helmet is angled like a baseball cap. (according to the character sheet) And his visor is almost like the baseball cap's bill.

I also shrunk his cranium, and beefed up the face.

jazz3wn4.jpg
    MTJazzy.gif

• Like Like x 13
  8. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    As much as ppl think it has no place that altered visor looks absolutely fantastic. That's Sunbow Jazz. Perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I hope Maketoys give us an alternative head similar to this.

• Like Like x 2
  10. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Psychoshi thanks for the character reference sheet. I don't think we ever saw that full profile in detail in the animation to understand why the visor was shaped that way and not like other visors in the show. The visor isn't really consistent in terms of perspective in any of the headshots. The chin jutting is much more prominent in that profile too, it doesn't appear to be in the other pictures. The side vents also vary between shots.

I think Masterpiece, be it TT or 3rd party, should be about ironing out the inconsistencies and making a headsculpt that comes alive in 3d. The guide art and animation really aren't good in terms of consistency. The sculptors need to capture the essence of the character, like they did with Prowl and Prime. This is the time to fix the errors of 30 years ago, not continue them. Taking the one good still and making it the headsculpt is how I think we get things like MP Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 3
  11. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The spanner in your argument is that his digibash looks fantastic and much better than the head it currently has.....

The face itself is too small and that gif highlights it. The bigger face in turn makes the entire head proportionately better. It's reminiscent of the issue the Countach heads have, tiny faces in a huge helmet. That being said there's highly likely a following for both styles and alternative heads are something MT have been willing to do in the past. Wise thing to do is give the option of a more modern take or slavish toon and everyone is happy then.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Psychoshi's digibash does look decent, but personally I still prefer the original MT sculpt. I hope we never get that weird baseball cap visor on an actual toy. :) 

13. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That looks so much better! The original looked like a squished face by comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AnonymousDwell

News Credits:
    :eek:  THIS! This is what I want! Almost 100% (I'd make him mouth 2% smaller and his upper lip less pronounced, and maybe move the mouth 1mm closer to his nose... and MAAAYBE make the whole head and neck ever so slightly larger.) But that's totally acceptable and otherwise... THAT'S MY DERP FACE JAZZ! :D  Thank-you! I hope someone makes this at least as an option. It would make an already amazing figure - for me - perfect!

15. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes the face tweaked in the gif is awesome. It really gets the helmet to face proportion right. The stock head not only suffers from small face like countachs, but the visor and edge of the front of the helmet are too far apart.

I am still getting this guy, just fun splitting some hairs. Hopefully some designers read this thread and get a few ideas on how to approach head sculpts. My belief that the head is the hardest thing to get just right is constantly reaffirmed.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Isn't this like 90% of the reason these boards exist? ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Ah, I wont go down the road of how much Maketoys need to change their headsculpt.
    People did the same thing with GunDog, with digibashes and such, and once the final production piece was made, the head was sweet.
    The head looks good right now, and by the time they polish and firm up the sculpt, I'm sure it'll be cool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    I didn't realize it looked bad less than ideal until the handy visual there by Psychoshi.

• Like Like x 2
  19. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Gundog's head/helmet was fine, his face was poor but it seems a running theme with Maketoys. The only faces they got right have mouthplates.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    HAha I love how the top left drawing is all kinds of fucked perspective wise and the bottom left the visor is literally drawn different to how it is every other time he's drawn.

Man G1 official references, always good for a laugh. Digibash is great though. Wonder what the deal is with MT and tiny faces, seems to be a thing their designer does all the time. Even Striker Manus I would think would look way better if his face weren't so tiny relative to his overall head size. Its such a non-transformers way to approach robot heads and more appropriate for more traditional mecha n gundam and whatnot.

But he like doesn't do it all the time is the weird thing. Like his combiner heads all look incredible. Love his computron and defensor head sculpts so much.