Maketoys MTRM-9 Downbeat ( MP Jazz )

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deathsheadII, Jul 16, 2016.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    The point is if they're stickers with the figure everyone is happy as the clean look is achievable too and if that's the case you open your product to more potential buyers.

MT might not wanna go down the double barrel route of pissing both Porsche and Martini off so if that's the case go clean, don't put fake sponsors on. Let reprolabels take care of it.

2. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm confused, your edit looks way less accurate to the animation than MT's head mold does. You made the mouth and lips way too small and flat, the lower lip especially you made look very strange. You positioned the visor at an angle its not at in the photo which means if they did that it would be at an awkward looking up angle rather than facing forward as it does currently and you enlarged the head crest when the head crest on MT's is perfectly sized? You even changed the shape of his forehead brow when its exactly shaped as it needs to be already. Like what.

I feel like people are seeing things in MT's head design that aren't there and are misinterpreting its shapes somehow. Very bizarre.

3. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

yup, I agree with you. Just saying what I like (in case MT is listening :) )

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As stated, my photoshopping abilities are atrocious.

That's part of it. Part of it is we see the animation model differently, and we just will have to agree to disagree. But sufficed to say, mainly I just want the visor to point upwards at the top, rather than being straight, or worse still (for me) sloping downward. It's possible it does that and we just can't see it because of the forehead. But the forehead also shouldn't be straight imo (if we're talking about toon accuracy,) it should be a shelf with an interior curve to it that hangs over the visor.

Anyway... I'll leave it to someone else to do what I'm talking about. Or for MT to show a more straight on head shot that enables me to see the top of the visor. I don't want it to become this huge debate that these topics always seem to. I'll be silent now...

5. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Here, if they gave him an absurdly perfect g1 toon head this is all the changes they'd have to make:

mtjazzhead.jpg

But given that would require scrapping the entire existing head mold I can't imagine MT will bother. I think for most people the head is close enough it won't be a problem. Certainly not in the same ballpark of Despotrons outer helmet with how off it was.

• Like Like x 4
  6. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely hope they keep the face as-is, as it already looks good and looks a lot better than most 3P face sculpts - I'd hate to see them change it because of pressure only to end up with something worse, when this looks like a might fine Jazz face.

As for the livery, I really hope they don't do stickers for the red and light blue stripes on the bonnet and roof. The really nice thing about this design is that they have have a plain blue stripe on the bonnet in robot mode and the dark blue, light blue and red stripes in alt mode, because of the way the stripe in robot mode is hidden under the bonnet in alt mode. I much prefer tampos to stickers, and this is a car that I much prefer in its fully glory. That said, I'd rather have no sponsorship livery than fake livery, and I doubt they will want to have Martini all over it (as mentioned by others), so the best of both worlds will be to have the proper stripes but no sponsorship badges.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Put me down for the keep as is vote.

If only Gundog had those thighs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's fine. I can live with.

9. Optimist Maximus

Optimist Maximus Well-Known Member

Nice improvement, but I think Jazz has bigger cheeks.
    PEACE!!!!

10. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

Wow. Are those your tweaks? 'Cause that looks....perfect. The visor and head currently seems a little off, but tolerable, but I would greatly prefer that this figure be my Jazz; Box checked, figure crossed off the list, buying Reprolabels and upgrade hands. But, that head photoshop is awesome!

This is weird. I agree 100%. Keep the real-life accurate stripes in vehicle mode and have the 'tooned-out stripes that are hidden (as much as possible) for the 'bot. And, if you can't do livery that's 99% or closer to the real-life livery, then just leave it out, please. I'm relatively certain *someone* will step in to do the stickers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See the thing that still bothers me even in that "slavish toon head," is that the upper part of the visor isn't tilted in an upward angle like it is in the cartoon image. (Unless it's hidden by the forehead overhang and I just can't see it.)

Basically, I demand an MP jazz with "derp face" like he had in the cartoon lol. Not "cool" Jazz. If that makes any sense. I'm sure we'll never get that, though. Maybe not even from TT.

12. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    jazz is probably the only figure i would go all out on the sponser stickers for alt mode

13. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I totally see what you mean. And now I can't unsee it!

I knew that the head was off somehow. The visor, and the narrow chin which mt likes to include on their figures, making them look too youthful.

14. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

Because martini and Porsche are really interested in protecting their ip's from Chinese 3p and ko toy makers. Lol.

15. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I have no idea what going for both simultaneously could trigger though and I'm sure you don't either but I'd guess they won't be impressed. I mean Marlboro clearly didn't give a toss when a toy manufacturer used their logo were they?

Then the small point that Maketoys aren't based in China lolz (check their site for a clue)

They clearly feel brazen enough to stick a finger upto Porsche so we'll see soon enough.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  16. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tilting up the top of the visor would require shaping the upper brow very differently to the point it ruins the overall shape/look of the head. This is something the animation could make work due to it being animation but with a physical toy it needs to be shaped as is to look how its suppose to from more angles.

He does not, you're misunderstanding how g1 toon heads were illustrated relative to how the sides of the face angle inwards. From the front his face with my alteration would look exactly as it does in the toon. MT's simply has the front section a bit narrower so the angled cheek portions more sharply cut inwards. This creates the illusion of the overall face looking too narrow at certain angles, but that's not the case, its just the difference in where the front section meets the side sections resulting in a different shape, but not one that is overall dramatically different in width. My edit simply made the incline less sharp, any more and he'd have fat-face syndrome.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  17. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With regard to the angle of the visor at the top, I always assumed that was just supposed to represent the toy-shaped visor but as though you were looking up slightly at it (or via fish-eyed lens).

Why not just use Reprolabels? I'm in the UK too and have always used them - postage to the UK is reasonable and they usually arrive in a week or so.

• Like Like x 2
  18. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd much prefer paint apps and tampos to stickers. If they get close to the right look (a la MMC Sphinx) that would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah i dont like stickers...They cheapen out the toy...especially the extensive use

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

This is why I prefer the tampos to be on from the get-go. Good thing the Reprolabels that I did need to apply are of high quality and made very thin so you can barely tell they are stickers until you look very closely.