Maketoys MTRM-13 Skycrow (G1 Skywarp)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 13, 2018.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    No idea what the thinking was, but I don't think it was cost saving. All the parts that are blue on Starscream and black on Thundercracker are purple on Skywarp. Logic follows that the fists are on the same sprue as some or all of those parts, and they'd just run the mold with blue plastic for Starscream, black for Thundercracker, and purple for Skywarp. Giving Skywarp black hands means either running the whole mold in black only for the fists and running it in purple for the other parts or partially injecting the mold with black and using purple on the rest.

2. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    Right, so maybe they just ran the fists in black since Thundercracker has black. Wouldn't the fists have their own mold? Idk...doesn't really matter now, just glad they are correct.

3. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Why are the hinges for the tail fins in black instead of purple, are they exposed in robot mode somewhere?

4. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lightning is supposed to be out on my Birthday and this is supposed to be out the day after. Couldn't be happier. :D 

....Well I could if it was something like an MTRM Sunstreaker. :lol 

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went ahead and preordered this and Thundercracker despite the many issues I have with the mold. I'm starting to get to the point where I just want to get my G1 collection done, so these are the best choices available right now.

As it is, I'm getting really close to just settling on the Badcube Insecticons for my shelf, and starting to give up hope on waiting for a Fans Toys reissue of their versions.

6. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Almost certainly not. Dunno if you've ever built something like a Gundam model, but toys are built in a somewhat similar manner with most of the parts coming out of the molds on sprues. The molds themselves are pretty expensive to make, so the more you can cram onto a mold the better. Running the mold in black, even if it was just extras from Thundercracker, would still necessitate the need to run the same mold in purple for Skywarp to get at least some of the other purple parts.
    This is a good question. They're blue on Starscream, and black on Thundercracker, so it'd make sense if they were on the same sprue as other like-colored parts, which would wind up molded in purple in Skywarp.

7. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    You may very well be right. I would think that the molding process for a factory assembled figure would differ from a product that is made to be sold in a kit. Would it not more efficient to have a mold that produces a sprue that has, say 50 right hands on one, 50 left forearms on another. This way you have a guy stripping part off quickly and putting them in the fist bin, arm bin, etc as opposd to having to sort them sprue by sprue?
    I have zero knowledge of that process but that how I invisioned it prior to this discussion. Maybe you have first hand knowledge.

8. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Going to have to ask again---do the tailfins "lock" into the vertical position at all, or do they just flop around? Is that why 99% of photos of this mold have the fins spread outwards like an F-18 or F-22? Is it difficult to get them to stand straight up like a real F-15 (or G1 seeker?)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

They flop around. It is possible to get them oriented vertically, but they won't lock in place.

10. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Unless they changed the mold, the vertical stabs don't lock. The friction is plenty good enough to keep them upright; usually the reviewers that have them angled did it because they don't know beans about F-15s and thought it looked cool.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    c/o @ToyDojo

Action Robo

34497013_1686617611435197_3574951793018273792_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I wasn't going to get these since I settled with the MP-11 mold. I guess I was a settler. But that Toy Dojo video changed me. I'm a new man and I'm no longer a settler or have over $300 weighing me down.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These are placeholders for me until something better comes along.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Think we got it first time you weren't happy but Maketoys got your money anyway so thanks for the support from those of us that do really dig them ;) 

Anyways. These out now I take it?

15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :D 

16. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

These 3 were a real water-shed moment for me as far as 3p and official. They took the place of the official and were the 1st "swap out" that I did that way. Usually it was always the 3p stuff getting "swapped out" for the official, i.e. Megs and Sunstreaker....

In this case it was fine because I always wanted a set of seekers in alt mode. There's just something about those F-14's that screams 80's nostalgia in a Top Gun kind of a way.......

Now the real test of intestinal fortitude will come with the Coneheads. I don't care enough about them to have 2 sets for alt and bot mode. However, if they nail that catoon asthetic, MT will almost certainly dig into my pocket for another 375$+.......

17. PsyberianTiger

PsyberianTiger Unknown member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    F-15 just sayin' ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Baba still hasn't updated my order yet .....

19. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Yes I'm a dummy...……..

20. slideshot

slideshot Well-Known Member

He probably slammed from the coupon today. Give him a day or so to catch up.