Maketoys MTRM-13 Skycrow (G1 Skywarp)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 13, 2018.

1. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

The back is still hollow.

2. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

I still don't care

• Like Like x 8
  3. PsyberianTiger

PsyberianTiger Unknown member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Takara seeker is still outdated

• Like Like x 4
  4. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

Sweet, just got my shipping notice from kapow for this and thundercracker :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. BuddaMonk

BuddaMonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmmm.....gonna have to pickup Meteor and fiddle with him again to see if I really want to go down this path of replacing the Takara's for Maketoys.....and that includes replacing the coneheads too! Has anyone fully committed to replacing all their current seekers/coneheads with Maketoys?

6. Orion2703

I think I probably will be doing, i'm halfway through already and got rid if the TT conehead i did have as the quality was shocking.
    I do have the TW ones which I really like, but they are too big and I'm likely going to end up swapping them out too.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ooh, another thing to go on my TFNation pickup list (if I don't see them I can live without them, though it would be nice to own a Thundercraker outside the deluxe size class)

8. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    If I didn't have any Coneheads, or if I had the Takaras, I'd definitely replace them. I have the ToyWorld Coneheads, though, and they're pretty good. Based on Meteor I'd expect MT's to be better, but I kind of like doing 3 and 3 instead of 6 of the same basic mold.

9. Orion2703

Yep.
    Honestly if the TW ones were in the same bot scale id probably not replace them, evil clown faces or no :D 

10. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

I actually really liked the TW coneheads when I had them. Not cartoon accurate by any means, but really imposing and a fun/intuitive transformation. I currently have the YM Coneheads and plan to stick with them for the time being, but I'm all in on getting MT for the main 3(SS, SW, TC). Just need to sell my YM thundercracker and I'm ready.

The YM versions are definitely better than TT, but I doubt they'll be better than MT's. I just don't care enough about the coneheads to take the plunge...yet.

11. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    I think I can live with the Coneheads being bigger than the original 3, as long as the original 3 are the same size as each other and all three Coneheads are the same size as each other and consistently bigger. It helps that the ToyWorld Coneheads are fairly similar in size to Meteor when they're in alt mode.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Kapow just got theirs in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lord Jinnai

Lord Jinnai Well-Known Member

Only ever got the Yes Model Screamer bit sold him last month and got MT Screamer from Kapow mainly because I prefer the more toon look. Looking forward to getting his buddies. I don't think I would have started with the MT Seekers if I had them all by TT or Yes Model already though. I do suspect though that TT have a new Seeker mould in the works as it's easier to make one mould and milk every colour going than make new characters - Optimus V3 anyone ;) 

14. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    It's happening people!!! Baba just updated my order with a tracking number!!

15. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    So compared, is the quality of Maketoys or YM better? I sold my KBB seekers and was going to go YM but got Maketoys instead. I'm not that into the coneheads but if I was going to get them, I was thinking YM. People can't praise the YM enough over Takara and KBB but interested to see how the quality compares over Maketoys. There's enough articulation in the Maketoys to keep me happy so not worried about the lack of in the older mould used by YM.

16. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Baba has finally shipped. I'm just waiting for the tracking number to become active.

17. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That’s a tough thing to comment on. I own YM skywarp, Takara Starscream, Hasbro Asia Thundercracker, Maketoys Meteor and this morning I ordered Maketoys skywarp.
    Of those, Takara Starscream is far and away the worst. Loose floppy joints, swirly grey plastic and just generally crap. It feels
    Like a cheap dime store KO. Hasbro asia TC is a little better. Joints are tighter, though still floppy and plastic is clearer. Then comes YM Skywarp. Tight joints, solid plastic, pegs together well and poses as well as that mould can. In my eyes, YM’s seeker is what the Takara mould should be, it’s what they were trying to produce.
    BUT, it’s still a fundamentally flawed design. Terrible possibility, awkward proportions, busy for the sake of being busy without actually looking good. Just a generally ugly and awkward mould.
    Meteor has plastic on par or better than YM’s, some great glossy paint apps, is stunningly posable, has a great alt mode (and there is some panel Lining and detail on Meteors jet inspite of what some say) and a bot mode that looks like the character just stepped out of the toon.
    Yes he has a few flaws, but they are far less than the fundamental problems wih the MP-11 mould.
    I am happily swapping out my three MP-11 Seekers for Maketoys, and am also in on MT’s Coneheads. I owned Takara Ramjet for one month before selling it in disgust at a deeply discounted price to get rid of the POS.
    Meteor is hands down a better figure than any MP-3/MP-11 mould. It’s not 100% perfect, and if you don’t like toon accuracy it may not be to your tastes, but even in that scenario i feel its a better choice than the official.
    I like to ask a question. Assume that both toys came out today, at the same time, with no previous history. How many people do you think would choose MP-11 over Meteor? (And this is without the heavy bias towards the exisiting, historical mould.) viewed in the light of modern day MP toys and their clean designs, articulation, posing and paint, MP-11 is an anachronism.
    That’s what I feel anyways. Hope it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

The alt heads make them look like they're all three having a stroke at the same time...reminds me of my grandpa...the paint jobs are sure nice. The static faces look...fine, I guess. Maketoys needs to hire a new headsculpt designer. It's like they took the perfect Seeker and scribbled a face on at the last second. For those who have the Has/Tak seekers, easy fix, but for those like me starting from scratch (save MP-6) that face is just graffiti on the mural of my favorite trio.

19. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Thanks for this. It's enough for me to consider the YM Coneheads as price is a driver between going for these in YM or Maketoys. YM is about $50 cheaper and I'll scratch the Maketoys itch with the seekers. I like my Howling and can't wait to swap his face out with one of the other two that are coming with skywarp / thundercracker

20. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool. Maketoys are a bit cheaper too on TaoBao, though probably not quite YM prices. Around US$108 I think is the TB price.
    But YM totally did the best job possible with that MP-11 mould