Maketoys MTRM-11 Meteor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jul 18, 2015.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    But Meteor's thruster heels rotate backward and don't sit directly under the leg. The blue part of his foot is bigger than MP-3's, and he doesn't have massive hip kibble dragging him backward. Trust me, MP-3 will fall over if you look at it funny, but I haven't had any trouble keeping Meteor standing.

2. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s wrong for people not to like the toon style it if it’s not their thing, but you said it yourself...”this pursuit of toon aesthetic”. Takara is aiming that way too and it’s selling. So if the goal of this figure was screen accuracy, it can only be considered a success. Now I don’t mind a little styling either, but I do prefer this cartoon look with a lot of articulation. It’s not for everyone and people are right to be disappointed if expecting something different. I’m betting they’ll be a repro kit for this guy which should help those who want to spruce it up.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  3. Soundwave GI

Agree on Tracks and Shadow Fisher has already granted your wish on Ironhide (and Ratchet).

122C082F-2C91-427D-96E3-96510A3B2596.jpeg

4. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Right but my point is that it's still not as stable as having a proper ankle piece on the back that isn't made out of a thruster.

What I meant is that if Shadow Fisher can do it so easily, it's disappointing that TakaraTomy couldn't have made it that way to begin with. I don't really mind the hip skirts, but the Shadow Fisher upgrades are so basic and yet make such a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I think painting his face with Tamiya Metallic Grey should yield some very good result for this one, maybe even best results, as Tamiya has a fking amazing Metallic Grey which i havent been able to find in other brands. If wanting more dark, then the Tamiya Gun Metal. Both should be superior to existing colors i feel.

6. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    I love my tracks.

7. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    How many figures do you actually own though? Because I have all of the MP cars, at least mould-wise, and Tracks is the worst by far. In fact, I like MP-5 more than I like Tracks (and I realise I'm probably alone on that, but still). Nothing tabs in well, everything pops out when you move parts (especially the shoulders) and he's very hollow in his torso. It's easily my most disappointing Masterpiece figure and I own just about all of the moulds (including Shockwave, who is also arguably disappointing in hand but he's really grown on me).

I'm not saying you can't like him but... he's really not very good, especially compared to all the others in the same line. We went from what is, in my opinion, the perfect Bumblebee, to Tracks, a figure I'd waited many years for (along with Bumblebee), only to get something mediocre and which feels unfinished.

8. Soundwave GI

I’m sacrificing one of the faces to test this out. I primed it last night, and I’m going to try the metallic grey gundam tonight. I’ll post pics whether it’s a success or fail.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Soundwave GI

I don’t think Meteor falls anywhere near the Tracks in feel though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mark5677

Mark5677 Well-Known Member

love mine as well!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Soundwave GI

Yeah, that’s what I thought when installing it...Takara could have easily done it. Sorry, misunderstood your original comment.

12. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

Please.

13. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Oh, no, I was going to add this but I may as well say it now, that even though I don't have Meteor in-hand, I think both he and MP-11 are better than Tracks (though full disclosure, I still haven't not MP-11, but I might buy one for mould completion since I'm almost there anyway. Maybe).

Unless you mean Meteor doesn't feel as good as Tracks, in which case, that is indeed concerning (but maybe not a big deal).

I love Tamiya's colours but I'd say their gunmetal might be a tad too dark. Doesn't hurt to try it but I think a slightly lighter shade would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    All except mp28 and the prowl mold.

15. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Two moulds which I like significantly more than Tracks, unfortunately (especially since I like Tracks character-wise more than all four of the aforementioned others).

Then again, I also like Hot Rod more than a lot of other Masterpiece figures, so, you know... But it's far better than most people give it credit for (and this is coming from someone who was not happy with it at all before buying it, and only bought it out of a sense of obligation and a fondness for the character).

16. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    The style of this figure reminds me a lot of MT's Visualizers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I agree, and I feel the Tamiya Metallic Grey will be just perfect color for Starscream (not too light like silver, and not too dark, in the middle and fitting), but if someone wants to go a bit darker and still better than existing color, i think the Tamiya Gunmetal might be worth a try if they want darker than Metallic Grey.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looks a lot better with the painted face. 22279723_536632963353802_5137770086588051858_n.jpg 22228213_536632960020469_8785386131437009766_n.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I really feel as though Howling Meteor works better with the likes of MP Megatron 2.0 and MP Shockwave since his design is more streamlined and evocative of the Sunbow animation model.

I looked at pictures of Howling Meteor with MT Despotron and feel that the styles clash. But when you take MP-11 and display that figure next to the likes of MT Despotron and FT Quakewave, it looks like a better match stylistically.

20. Soundwave GI

To clarify, Meteor is very solid in hand. Much more so than Tracks or MP11. If you prefer MP11, then the YM KOs destroy the official in quality.

• Like Like x 3