Maketoys MTRM-11 Meteor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jul 18, 2015.

1. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

You had it and gave it away? I was contemplating on buying it too even in the exorbitant price it goes for. Then I thought Id switch over to DX terror. But I find the fact that he has a trailer not to be SG material so....

2. franpincho

franpincho Sunbow or fail TFW2005 Supporter

Stupidly sold it. The QC issues drove me insane and didn't know at the time how expensive it was going to get.

I'm always looking for a deal on it though, anything $240 or less is likely what I'd fork over.

3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I mean, to each their own, but I don't see how Takara could make any version of MP-09 that's anywhere near as good as Carry. Carry might be my favorite 3P toy.

What fixes did you do? I saw Emgo did a video on MPM-4 that basically said you don't need to modify the toy at all, you just have to tab the cab together in a particular way that doesn't use the same order of steps as the instructions. I tried his method when I got mine, and it worked. It's a little finicky, because if something comes out of place before everything is done and tabbed you have to pull him apart and start over, but it does work. No gaps, no mods.

EDIT: thanks to @aledromo I got Howling Meteor today. Haven't messed with him yet, but my initial impression is very positive.

• Like Like x 3
  4. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  5. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

Oooh, I saw the review for this guy and I think I need him in my life.

Can't wait for repaints - I really need a Thundercracker.

IMO just take Carry and make his aesthetic a bit more G1. Perfect G1 Rodimus, boom.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    Man, I can't help but imagine a set of reprolabels on this guy. I think I finally found my MP seekers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chareos

Chareos Well-Known Member

Thank you sir!

• Like Like x 2
  8. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    Had some time to mess with him tonight, and he's very good.

Yes, aesthetically he's a little too cartoon, but I don't he looks as bad in hand as he does in pictures. The pictures look like he's got a lot of cheap, glossy red plastic but most of the red is actually paint, and the underlying plastic quality is very good. I don't have an MP-11, but he's heavier and feels more solid than my MP-03-based Walmart Skywarp. Speaking of solid, he tabs together nicely in robot mode, so his torso isn't going to come undone if you look at him funny.

The articulation on this guy is fantastic. It's not just that he has a waist swivel or even an ab crunch that MP-03/11 don't. He's got more range on his elbows, knees, and hips than they do. Getting him into really dynamic poses is a treat, and like I said earlier I think that it makes up for the cartoony aesthetic.

Transformation is good. In some ways, it's the same as every other Seeker; get the nose out, collapse the torso to make room for the arms, scrunch up the legs, flip the wings around. But the way that the nosecone explodes from his body, the way that his lats curl in to the space vacated by the nose, the way his vertical stabs fold into his calves and his horizontal stabs wrap around the back of his leg is new. It allows him to have a better-proportioned bot mode and cleaner legs/hips. Those differences take a little practice to get used to, but ultimately feel easier/better than even ToyWorld's Coneheads.

That's not to say he's perfect. Aside from the complaints about the cartoon aesthetic there are the wings, the fact that he can't look up, and the fact that the nosecone pops off during transformation. These are legit criticisms, but honestly, in hand they're not so bad.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased with him. I'll definitely get Skywarp and Thundercracker in this mold. I wasn't planning on replacing the ToyWorld Coneheads, but honestly Meteor's so good that now I think I might. If you don't have an MP Starscream then Meteor is definitely the one you should get, but I honestly think he's good enough that you should consider replacing MP-11 with him.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  9. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Maketoys "had me at hello" with this prototype. I'll gladly sell off my MP11 Takara seekers for these seekers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Well-Known Member

Great thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mormolyce

How do you feel about the complexity of the transformation? Looking at the videos, it seemed like there was a lot going on, which depending on taste is a good or bad thing I guess.

Also his ankle tilt still seems a bit limited, does that hamper the poseability?

I am in a pickle on this one! I currently have an MP11 Starscream and a KO Skywarp. I could wait and get the inevitable Thundercracker repaint, but I'm getting the feeling I'm actually going to want Howling Meteor himself. Which would be the first time I replace a TT official with a 3P.

12. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    I like the transformation. I think it's actually better than the officials, but some parts move very differently than what you might be used to. The hardest part is folding/unfolding the nosecone, but one you do it a few times it's fine.

As for the ankles, he can bend the blue part of his foot down, but not up. The entire foot can get about 45 degrees of inward tilt; I think that's fine for most a-stances. His hips and knees have good range, too, so he's honestly pretty easy and fun to pose.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

Which would be a wise choice.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

A lot of good impressions coming through here. Can we drop the “too toon” as a complaint though? That’s the point of this figure. If that’s not what you want, it’s not meant to be. There are imperfections to be sure, but he’s supposed to be toon accurate and scores a 10/10 in that department.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Well-Known Member

Yeah

16. Mormolyce

Hmm 45 degrees is more than I thought! Nice review!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crom

Crom Well-Known Member

I think it's a valid criticism. It's a lovely sculpt, dimensions-wise, but looks plain as shit and would've benefited greatly from some more detail. This pursuit of 'toon aesthetic is something I'm no fan of. When MP figures first began I loved the idea of them being more highly-detailed, "real-world" versions of the toy/toon/comic characters we all grew up with; with all the rivets and panel lines and decals one would expect from that. This looks a bit too..."Fisher-Price" for my liking, with its bright shiny colours and no detail or texture. Like someone took MP11 and painted it using nail varnish.

• Like Like x 3
  18. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Seems it didn't turn out so great after all. Heh. I mean, it doesn't seem it turned out badly, but not as good as some of us would have liked.

I watched a video review of it and geez, all those C-clips for parts just seems cheap, and it seems so fiddly. It definitely feels like a side-step rather than improvement.

Don't get me wrong, it looks better than MP-11 in many respects (robot-wise, anyway), but it doesn't really seem like a marked improvement. It's a shame, really, because I'm still very tempted, but considering it'd actually cost me more to buy this than a new MP-11 (or, at least, cost the same), I'm not ready to go out and get this yet. Maybe I'll change my mind, but for now, I've got plenty of other figures to buy in the meantime.

Oh, and using the MP-3 design for the feet doesn't seem to have done (Howling) Meteor any favours. I know it's animation-accurate but... why?

From someone who actually owns him: Tracks is terrible.

I love Ironhide thought (but they really could have got rid of the waist skirts if they wanted to).

• Like Like x 2
  19. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    I guess MT agreed with you, because Meteor's feet aren't at all like MP-3's.

20. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I think you missed my point. Meteor uses the thrusters as the heels just like MP-3, making him more likely to fall back than if he had (admittedly less-accurate) proper heels like MP-11.

That lack of extra stability, regardless of how small, especially compared to MP-3, really bothers me as it rarely works well, and it doesn't seem to have been the best choice for Meteor either.

• Like Like x 1