Maketoys MTRM-11 Meteor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

Just a note for those not getting the Masterpiece feel from this...

Aesthetically, ok, that’s going to be preference. If you love MP11, then I guess why bother looking at this. If you love the toon look of the last couple of years, this is your Starscream until something else comes out. I guess there’s a chance Takara could surprise us, but Skywarp and Starscream were reissued recently. If they bring out a new one, expect it to look pretty much like this HM as this is their current direction. HM oozes toon love and he looks great on the MP shelf. He actually makes my MP11 SW and TC look like crap IMHO. Again, if you love MP11, you are set already.

Quality seems to be a big concern here in the comments. It isn’t a concern. The plastic quality is fantastic and the Diecast is in all the right places (see paik’s review, it’s really detailed). Stability is all about getting to know the figure and his weight. You don’t have to lean him forward but I personally just turn a leg slightly to get him really solid. This is due to the fantastic job of them cleaning up the legs. As for the MP ‘feel’, he absolutely positively feels MP. He has good heft and when he’s all tabbed together properly, feels incredibly solid, especially when you consider the extreme poseability this figure brings. He really makes MP11 feel like a cheap bargain toy.

All That being said, of you were waiting on seekers and prefer MP11, I highly recommend the Yes model seekers over the official. They are MUCH more stable and feel much better. Just watch out for SS if you don’t like the Walscream deco as YM used this for him. SW and TC are exactly like Takara colors.

• Like Like x 10
  2. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    As someone who doesn't really care for the full-toon aesthetic I don't actually disagree with you. But, it's not like Meteor doesn't look like Starscream, the way the original MP-03 Greenscream does. In fact, aside from the small head, I think Meteor has better proportions than MP-11.

And ultimately, I'm willing to trade a little aesthetics for greater articulation. While I respect people who feel MP-11 looks like a better fit, I personally feel Meteor's more dynamic poses will make more of a difference.

• Like Like x 3
  3. evilwithin

evilwithin Dinobot

By the way, the canopy is "sort of" translucent. Translucent plastic over silver painted plastic.

Not for everyone but I understand where they come from...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chareos

Chareos needs new Omnibots

News Credits:
    Any pics with MP and 3P carbots?

5. JBrock

JBrock Well-Known Member

I am all in on this as the new seeker mold for my collection. Cannot wait for pics of TC and SW to surface.

6. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

The head does a lot better job than early pics suggested...I do have to give them that as one that was put off initially. Whether they changed anything or the early pics were just not doing it justice, I dunno. Probably still wouldn't give it any awards, but it's at least not a 'butterface'.

7. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yup- I specifically said "in pics" as a caveat on my opinion to be sure it was clear. We can't all hold a figure before purchasing so pics matter to most of us. It's most certainly not odd to base an opinion on how something looks and make a decision based upon pics. ;)  That said, I'll check out the video reviews now too.

8. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

You mean like how ratchet and ironies look like shit, and shockwave looks like shit?

This thing would have looked far better with some minor detailing like mp10 had and better back and something done to fix the butt flap. Also bigger and better looking head.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    They dont look like shit tho.

• Like Like x 3
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I never make a decision based on pics alone but maybe I'm just weird. I get opinions of those who have it in hand, look at multiple videos to hear ratchets etc and if it all looks good I'll buy it and see if I like it in hand. If it's shit even after all that I'll move it on but that's only ever happened once, MMC Terraegis, so I'll not change my ways :) 

• Like Like x 3
  11. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Does it come in purple?

News Credits:
    I agree, I think they look fine and I'm happy with mine :) 

• Like Like x 2
  12. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Completely agreed. My priorities are the following:
    1. Idealized version of the character, with prioritization on toy aesthetics, as opposed to Sunbow-only aesthetics (assuming the original toy is good): proportions / color accuracy / etc.
    2. Pose-ability / Articulation
    3. Stability / Heft
    4. Lots of molded and painted details, chrome, greebles

It appears MT Meteor nails #1 and #2, is average on #3, and is lacking in #4.
    In comparison, MP11 is average at #1, poor at #2, below average at #3, and good at #4.
    For all of these reasons, it appears I was right to sell my KBB Star Burst in anticipation for this. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Soundwave GI

Soundwave GI Well-Known Member

For those who want more detail, repro labels could surface or you could customize. That’s the nice thing about starting with the Sunbow, just like Downbeat. If he is made with all the extras out of the box, you can’t as easily strip anything to make him more toon. It’s not like you are screwed if you buy him and want to add to him.

• Like Like x 3
  14. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Darn you and your logic.
    I still prefer molded details, and I'm not a huge fan of stickers, but you make an excellent point.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I only have the Robot Hero oversized mp-11 KO's. The extra detail looks great at that larger scale and no swirly plastic, it's all top notch but ever since mp-27, I'm all about the Sunbow aesthetics. TOON ACCURACY FOR LIFE!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

HMs leg transformation to hide the fins is incredible!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It was mp33 that started it.

18. Blazing Mewtwo

Blazing Mewtwo Decepticon Lover

Very good point.

19. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    So you don't think MP-29 or MP-32 are toon accurate... I think it's debatable where it "started". You could argue that it started with Ultra Magnus or it was a gradual evolution. But for me it seems pretty obvious that they where pushing for a more toon accurate representation in the line starting with Ironhide.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Cool story for the bros... I lost track of the MP numbers after 14...once they started coming out at a faster pace, and once they started giving random Rodneys their own numbers. I know 15 & 16 are the cassettes, but I don't know which is which. From there I could figure out which is which up to Ultra Magnus, but not off the top of my head just know who, say, MP-18 is. After Magnus, I don't even know who has what number.