Maketoys MTRM-11 Meteor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Jul 18, 2015.

1. TheMarkSewell

TheMarkSewell Honorary Wrecker

That area is actually slightly recessed in the sculpt. You can see it on the unpainted prototypes. Obviously YMMV as to whether that's good enough or not, but there is a sculpted border around that area rather than being entirely flat.

2. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    Indeed, i didnt pick up on that. Still its not a great detail of an otherwise visual flat surface. I think the paint will fill that area since its so shallow.

But not a dealbreaker in any regard though.

Didnt G1 Screamer have portusions there? Always seemed so to me.

3. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    Yep. I've got 2/3 Seekers in my collection right now, which cost me less than $200 (they're the Hasbro releases of MP-11 SS and TC). If these are priced well/low enough, I'm likely to go all-in on replacing them with MT's and grabbing their Skywarp. But if they're too pricey, I'll probably only consider whatever MT does with the Coneheads, and maybe pass entirely.

I mean, with all the repaints and retools you can get out of a Seeker mold, they should be able to give this guy a very competitive price. Added to how many people probably already have a full set of Seekers (and even Coneheads), there should be proper incentive for MT to price them reasonably, if not lowly.

Yeah, the 'toon was pretty inconsistent (as with everything), but all the official art has those blue bits protruding from the leg (flared at the bottom and tapering up to the top). Seems a lot of people have taken to calling them shin-thrusters or something.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 Well-Known Member

Amen.

Yep. It has pretty much ruined MP Sunstreaker for me. It ruins a silhouette and changes the shapes of things when it's the same color as the nearby shapes.

It's melting!!

They do and it's not good.

Yep, ype, and yep.

WTF is with those deep grooves on the thigh and the holes on top of the feet?

The figure has a lot going for him, but IMO he has a number of shortcomings, also. If they "fix" some of them and he's cheap, I may buy. If not, I won't.

5. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Depends on which G1 Screamer you mean;) 

In the the toon, those bits were just flat, painted on. Any recessed sculpt on this one is a step up from that, but barely. No, it was the G1 toy that had those bits as neat sculpted parts, and that's what the MP-3 and MP-11 mold picked up on. As for the comics, I dunno.

compareSS.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of following along with the cartoon art when they were just simplifying things to make it easier to animate, deleting detail and such, and I do miss those bits. It's the only thing I don't like. Well, that and the intakes not angling forward. I wonder if they need to be flat for transformation or if I can glue on a sculpted part there....

• Like Like x 3
  6. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Looks so good. I only have the Robot Hero oversized seekers currently. I think the MP-11 mold works a lot better at that OS scale plus all the improvements robot hero made to the mold. As far as regular MP scale I'm sold on the figure even with the head sculpt as it is. Although I do have my fingers crossed make toys updates the head before release or at least another 3rd party makes some better heads for him.

7. jetrobo

jetrobo Well-Known Member

I agree it looks very good in robot mode. Has anyone confirmed if this is the same situation in jet mode? Just clear over a solid gold fill, or yellow clear over solid silver fill, and no cockpit?

8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't think we've seen colour alt mode pics but I would assume jet mode has the clear canopy over a cockpit? Otherwise not sure why you would bother with two layers of canopy in bot mode? If jet mode uses the same clear over gold gimmick then they'd be better just paInting the canopy straight gold and losing the bit underneath.

9. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

Wait, so I'm just realizing that the intakes on the shoulders don't flip forward, is that right?

10. Galiss

Galiss Such heroic nonsense...

Ebay:
    Should I be worried that no photo of this guy so far shows a clear look at the face sculpt???

• Like Like x 1
  11. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    They certainly haven't shown that in any photos. And proto shots don't seem to show any hinge around that part. It's not a deal breaker for me but it seems to be an issue for others. Not sure whether it's possible for MT to adjust at this late stage, or as someone else said, some kind of aftermarket mod? Personally I'm more worried about the face sculpt, the too dark face paint and the extreme hollowness of the wings. But even then it blows Takara and Toyworlds efforts out of the water, and no-one else seems interested in doing MP Seekers, so I'll buy at least 3 Seekers and 3 Coneheads, even if MT change nothing. Captive audience and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    This is the best we've seen so far I think:
    7A6C36E5-62EA-4778-8A4E-00203D3EE207-14264-00000E7FDCF76D2F.png

13. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    Make that 2 of us. And fix the face. These I'm looking to replace that outdated Mp11 mold. But with my luck once I do, BAM! Takara comes with a new Seeker mold. Fml.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Even the most ardent Takara fanboys would have trouble defending Takara if they did that. At $200 a pop for each of the new Coneheads, and regular releases of Seekers, all in the last year or so, it's not like they aren't still squeezing every drop out of that mould. I imagine if they were going to make a new Seeker, they'd let the MP-11 mould go quiet for a couple years first.

15. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

Gah! Warn me before you post something like that!

To quote the Deadpool movie:
    "You look like an avocado had sex with an older, more disgusting avocado"

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

And the quest for the true successor to the MP-11 mould continues.

17. Brum Bot

Brum Bot "Give them Victory... or Give them Death"

News Credits:
    It looks good, but I can't see enough in it to make me want to lay out to replace x3 seekers and x3 coneheads.

If they did something with the face, then maybe it could be considered... I feel it may be a case where I'd have to see this in hand, and then if it blew me away I may capitulate. Looking forward to some reviews and high def close ups.

18. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    This is all i needed to see to replace my MP-11 moulds. No way Takaras can do poses as dynamic as this. It will be great to get rid of the straight up and down, tin woodsman/c3PO level of articulation of the officials.
    1AB5BB90-ABD2-48FF-860A-AB6EBE4EE8D2-16129-000012394E693B9D_tmp.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  19. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

The much better articulation is very nice...

...but between the not so great face, the wings being apparently hollow on the underside, the lack of details on the robotmode parts and the absence of something basic like shin thrusters, I'm becoming more and more hesitant.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. ckchan

ckchan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is one good example why i don't like toon accurate figures

• Like Like x 1