Maketoys Mech Manga Series Rear-End (Tailgate)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jul 12, 2014.

1. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I was also thinking the sets sold well. Hell, I loved the swerve set enough that I bought two sets. Wanted a second tailgat, which I love, but ya I didn't need a second set of the cyclonus parts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Moonshot

Moonshot Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I also want a IDW Pipes figure. Too bad they didn't sell well, understandable the way they were packaged. Although I already owned the correct Cyclonus for the Tailgate stuff, so worked great for me. On their Swerve, I like the Hasbro one better for the price and Gears being with the MT set helped on that decision. If Gears would have been more G1 Sunbow, then I probably would have went with them.

3. JaidenRoda

JaidenRoda One

Yes, I am interested in the Cyclonus upgrade kit.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shoot me an offer. :) 

5. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

That anime-style "crying eyes" face totally makes it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 928toyslab

928toyslab Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    YES! Just got this.

20170520_170645[1].jpg

After getting Maketoys Trash-Talk and Cogwheel, I was FORCED to get Rearend and I'm not disappointed at all. It has tons of articulation and his look is the perfect adaptation of the IDW character (although I wish his torso was light blue instead of turquoise), is definitely much better than the official version and makes me wish that Maketoys would continue with this line. I just wish it came with actual accesories, Tailgate doesn't use weapons but I think a hoverboard would go perfectly with him, hope Maketoys eventually do it.

I was initially disappointed that he only came with an upgrade for RTS Cyclonus considering the last set actually had two figures but I still liked what this add-on does for the figure. I finally have the proper Cyclonus for my Lost Light shelf and both Tailgate and him are just in the right scale.

I seriously need more figures like these Maketoys, give me a Nickel next please!

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Hobo Prime

Hobo Prime Prime of Beards

News Credits:
    Congrats! Its a pretty awesome set. And yeah, Nickle is needed. And Pipes

9. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I doubt they'll ever revive their mangamech line. But perhaps another company will deliver on that.

• Like Like x 3
  10. anindrew

anindrew Writing a #vss365 superhero(?) novel on Twitter

I'd also love it if Maketoys made more IDW-based figures, but that doesn't seem like it will happen.

Another company. My My Curious who that might be.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rakzo

News Credits:
    God, I hope is not MMC. I'm sure they will make a stupid decision like making Nickel bigger than Legends-size considering how messed-up their scale is. Not to mention that they're terrible at making any figure that is smaller than Voyager-size.

I think I will keep rooting for Maketoys to keep this line.

12. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Huh weird, cause when it comes to comic characters I feel like the only ones I have that are in consistent scale are my mmc ones. While everything else idw inspired that I still have on display feels outdated and in need of replacing such as Gen Springer and PE Warden and especially Gen Skids. Man I would loooove a Skids as tall as Anarchus at least, that'd be great.

Also Nickel could be a deluxe and work just fine besides MMC's existing perfectly sized DJD members, she'd just need to be on the smaller 4-inch or less range like FansProjects Stunticons were. Which to most people is still so short they'd say she were legends anyway. Not every legends figure needs to be a teeny tiny 3incher like IF's fembots are but I assume MMC would aim for that size anyway to make her extra cute. Then she might be small enough to fit inside Tesarus which would be awesome.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Rakzo

News Credits:
    Generations Skids was never a great figure to begin with so an update might be warranted. THE PROBLEM is that making him as tall as a Voyager would mess up with scale since Deluxe size goes perfect with other perfectly sized figures like Maketoys' Legends. Voyager would be simply too tall.

I don't see why we need a Generations Springer update since he's pretty much perfect already, especially if it means adding an overly-convoluted transformation that is not fun at all. If the objective is making him taller then that is a mistake as well since he's already the right scale with other MMC figures like Impactor.

I do wish that we would get a new Fortress Maximus though, I was never much of a fan of how PE Warden looked since it tried to be IDW-inspired while not looking that much like the IDW character either. A more IDW-accurate Leader size figure would be appreciated.

I also would love an IDW Roller toy in the same size as MMC Kultur.

14. murphytronus

murphytronus Im not Shardimus

Renderform designs did a hoverboard for tailgate and cyclonus... they look really bad ass especially with tail gate .. you might be able to snag one up from venksta if he still has one laying around and you get very lucky.. or someone here on the boards can hook you up.. it's worth looking at and looks great

15. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I see what you did thar.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rakzo

News Credits:
    Yeah, but I would prefer a hoverboard that actually attaches to Rearend's feet.

17. LazyAza

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tailgate is among the shortest of the short characters in IDW, every normal sized character in the comics should at least be twice his height or double that of MT's Rearend, aka voyager. Ergo Gen Skids being especially short for a deluxe is extremely out of scale compared to MT's two legends figures and every IDW voyager/ultra we have. If you're saying gen skids is scale accurate to mt rearend you are 100% incorrect. If you're saying deluxes are the standard scale for idw character designs, you are 100% incorrect. That may have been correct a long time ago, but not now. I suspect that may be why you're saying things aren't scale accurate if you're basing your standard size of figure off of something so out of date.

This is why I'm glad I own so few of hasbros idw based figures, most of them scale very poorly with my third party offerings, on top of suffering due to budget constraints and child safety nonsense 3p's dont have to fret about.

And Springer, ideally, should be a head taller than Impactor (as he was in LSOTW). By hasbros figure being eye to eye with Spartan he is not scale accurate to him and needs replacing for that reason and also because of its lacking articulation and issues with its parts holding together in alt mode as well as barely having any paint at all and being much too skinny in the legs. All of this could easily be addressed with a new figure of him.

So yes, the objective is to have figures scaled to the real modern IDW standard, which is voyager, not deluxe. So yes, we need bigger figures to replace several older ones.

MMC is working on several other IDW characters right now, only two that I know of are below voyager size and both are very short characters. All the normal sized characters are either voyager or ultra. As they should be.

When we get to very tall characters most won't be up to Carnifex's size but they'll be closer to him than they are to say Kultur which is what my ideal for FortMax or UltraMagnus would be if we make either of those.

This is all the ideal new standard that is by now very well established by third parties due to the standardization of voyager as the default. If you're holding on to deluxe as the default you're holding on to an old standard third parties have almost completely abandoned.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Rakzo

News Credits:
    MTMTE.jpg

The scale seems fine to me as it is.

Well, that is just for SOME Third Party offerings

Wreckers.jpg
    Nope.

Again, that's not really the case.

Eh, that's fine. Some official releases are also cool.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    @Rakzo -

Something about the first picture you posted seems extremely off.

I can understand your counter arguements (even if I don't agree/fully with them), but Cyclonus shouldn't even be that short, even to your standards. We can't see his feet/legs, so I can only assume he's kneeling or on one knee or something. He was never that short in ANY continuity.

The other pictures you posted are of course what they are. No one can really refute it because it's official - however most characters sizes/scale vary page to page or book by book.

I honestly feel like deluxe is something that is dying, just like the tiny scout+ sized classics figures are old now. I feel like figures such as Tailgate, Swerve etc are fine at scout sized scale compared to a Cyclonus that would be a voyager.

I understand it's a hard pill to swallow if you have spent hundreds of dollars on a collection you feel like people are telling you to replace. At least each figure was like 10~20 dollars on average and not $70.00+ on 3P voyager sized figures. Imagine if people were telling you to replace *those* (not that you would have to - do whatever you want. It's your collection).

20. Rakzo

News Credits:
    What? That is drawn by Alex Milne himself who pretty much defined IDW Cyclonus look (although Nick Roche contributed to that).

This is another image made by Milne:

Cyc.jpg

Which seems to be just the right scale as well (Hell, I think Cyclonus is even shorter here).

Yes, but the general consensus is that Impactor is basically as tall as Springer.

I have several images from MTMTE that show that RTS Cyclonus is at the perfect size with any Legends-size Tailgate.

... Seriously? Most of the time it seems like 3P owners are the ones who are trying really hard to argue against the fact that the figures they paid a lot of money for might not be as good as they think.

• Like Like x 1