Maketoys Giant disappoints me...bigtime.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Tekmen, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

That right there is some lazy engineering. They should have just released a skeleton pack for others to make custom combiners.

2. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to disagree with people in general on this. I actually like how they have done this as it seems to be sacrificing something but giving us some great articulation where many combiners seem to fail at. Specifically in the shoulder area, it seems like this arm is going to be giving an intense range of motion that can really help giant get into some amazing poses. While I will concede look was sacrificed for something a bit more practical for articulation purposes but in the overall I think people will really be happy with this when they see just what it can do.

Now I still may be wrong on just how articulated it is and if thats the case I'll call it lazy engineering.

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most of that is intentionally detachable kibble. The portable generations are no more intrusive than Neckbreaker's big 'ol purple fistpack. The rest of the arm does a decent enough job compressing in both robot and vehicle modes. The benefit is you decouple the engineering for the arm from the rest of the figure, which can have its benefits.

It's not lazy, just different.

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    RID Landfill's legs were done similarly.

5. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

*Wrong Giant thread*

6. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    You guys know this only applies to the arms, right?

7. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I'm more inclined to think that the designers were limited in what they could do with the arms given they were trying to stay accurate to the G1 design. Personally, I like Giant's more G1-accurate design and overly detailed (and "busy") sculpt over Hercules' overly simplistic and blocky ("Tonka Toy") build. As long as Giant has good articulation in the arms and shoulders (I'm assuming that's why they did what they did with the arm connections, to improve articulation), I don't mind the skeleton design at all.

8. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    What the hell are all of you cretins talking about? Pepsi is obviously better!

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

I don't know about that, but I do think they have better commercials though:p 

10. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

I strongly feel that alot of the posts against Giant are mostly from Herc owners experiencing pangs of regret/envy who are trying to convince themselves that the big green & purple block with QC issues was the right choice.[/QUOTE]

quoted for truth.

11. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

you should quote it better if you want to truth it...

12. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    or have some truth behind it lol

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Quoted for truth!

14. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

I know, but trying to argue something that stupid is worthless, so it's better to just point out a complete failure of pressing a button.

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually kinda like they way they did the arms it means you can do a whole lot for possibility and it wont interfere much with the figures when they are on their own.

but about the art.... this happens and theirs not really a whole lot we can do outside notice and record its happening. Hell its happened to me a few times when people will trace my pics and then apply different details to make their own characters.

Maybe it bugs people more because this is something they want to invest in and would like something with art on par with Herc's (littleIron is a boss for making all that awesome art fyi) Or... maybe haters gonna hate I dunno

16. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

her you go :lol 

17. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :sly2: 

18. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Dynamic posing is nice, but people forget that the poses will be limited by the actual vehicles hitting certain points, not to mention Giant's short forearms.

The bolded part is just... an opinion, and a silly one. I like Giant for it's G1 accuracy.... nothing else. Hercules took a risk, has better engineering and it's far from a block. Not to mention you're making the assumption that Giant will be issue free... entirely speculation.

I'm still interested, but I like Herc better than Giant and it has nothing to do with any envy or regret. If that was the case, Herc owners could sell it and purchase Giant.

19. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My opinion is no more silly than the myriad posters proclaiming the sun shines out from Herc's rear while cheerfully accepting the numerous QC issues TFC's offering, with hardly a breath against the shortcomings in it's design.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect but I really don't see why the need for a whole thread dedicated to how an unreleased toy is a disappointment. There have been plenty of videos and images previewing Giant's design, so why the sudden hate for Giant??

20. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I can agree with sentiments from both sides, to be honest. For all the size that Hercules boasts, the QC issues are very worrisome given their high price point. Sure TFC tried their best to address those known issue but their fix for Heavy Labour's hip ratchets was disappointing, to say the least (really? just a little grease/oil on the same flawed ratchet joints? that's their fix?).

As nicely engineered as Hercules may be too, his overly simplistic and blocky aesthetic (I'd say the designers at TFC were a little lazy in the aesthetics department) doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as Giant's truly Classics-inspired design and more accurate G1 aesthetics. As far as Giant's engineering.... we're judging that as whole with only two figures released so far? Hardly fair, methinks. Personally, I think the way the arms look/work is fine by me, and I can't wait to see the rest of the bots.