Maketoys Giant disappoints me...bigtime.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Tekmen, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Tekmen

Tekmen Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Attached Files:

2. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    An shit

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who would of thought a 3rd party company that is making toys based of another companies IP without permission or right would do something dishonest?

3rd party products are inherently dishonest, they borrow characters, designs, engineering and general concepts. who cares if they borrow art some people have good careers doing that.
    Greg Land - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They swiped art.

So?

Giant in himself is a swipe of IDW devy.

Heck, Hercules is a swipe of devy IP.

If you hadn't notice they are a third party. Honestly, speaking ethics about third parties in a third party forum is like going to a meat eaters forum and complaining about Mcdonald's lack of regard for vegetarians.

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Don't really see whatever copy you're referring to. Sure, the one on the left looks similar, but Scavenger...man that's just the same pose. And Figueroa's Scavenger looks as if a 7 year old drew him.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Oh noes! Take Maketoys to the Supreme Court!

Come on, man. -__-

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well if it makes you feel better that was dreamwave art so don probably didn't get paid for it :) 

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You didn’t do the art did you? Why be afraid? I’m a little confused as to why Giant disappoints you ; you are upset (to light a word?) over the artwork, right? What did the toy do? Giant itself is pretty original, the robot designs appear to be the brain child of the artist? If you were one of the artist, I could see how you would be upset, but as someone who has nothing to do with it, I’m a little lost? At least they took great art:thumb  I don't care much about the box art, stolen or not. Let’s face it, it isn’t the only idea they stole;)  As mentioned above, these 3rd party companies are using IPs without permission (and YOU APPROVE), so why are you crying foul over art? You can't have your cake and eat it too, you know. Do what everyone else does: either go all in or GTFO...maybe that was a bit too harsh, my apologies m(_ _)m

9. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    The only line for line copies are the hands. Yes they're in the exact same pose, but the designs between the 2 robots are totally different.

10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    fixed :wink: 

i really don't get the anger towards the art here :lol 

11. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They have recreated existing characters and you are worried about the art? There is no difference between maketoys, FP, igear and TFC in this regard.

OP is a troll post.

Seriously, why do people feel the need to dump on Giant???

12. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    But ur still gonna buy him right?

13. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    it really seems Giant is becoming smaller as each day passes...

14. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly it is a good looking figure. Hercules is good looking as well. The differences come down to personal preference and not figure fails. The problem is Hercules beat giant to the gate and sucked up a lot of people's budgets for a 3rd party devy. The only way I see for this to work is a lower cost by at least half. This would then include the option for the lower income people as well as keeping another option for those who already bought hercules. igear appears to have had more success with 15 dollar figures then anything else in the amount of time given. So, in my thinking, price will be the only real make or break for maketoys on this.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Stealing IP to make a toy is OK but stealing a pose from a picture is where we draw the line? Good to know lol

16. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You won't be seeing these for $15 a figure. Isn't Gaint already being sold for half price (of a Hercules figure) anyway? 2ch discussions show that many Japanese purchase 3rd party toys in Japan, and they pay 9,999-yen for one Hercules figure. Maketoys, well, Upgradecommander.com has matched that price, but rather than getting one figure, two are included.

Yeah, I know, everyone is looking at the price of the figure in the own currencies, but Maketoys is Japanese and they set a price that is comparable to figures here. Those here deciding whether to purchase Hercules or Giant may have already had the decision made for them, as Giant will cost 50% less to complete.

In terms of dollars, I still think the price is fair (assuming you think the price many paid for Hercules is fair); two Build Team figures cost 9,999-yen (about $65 a figure) vs one member of Hercules costing anywhere from $79.90 ~ $99.99. The slightly smaller size of of the Build characters got a slight discount.

In the end, it will be like many have said many times over, personal preference will decide who buys what.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Never cared about artwork, official or not.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    BINGO!!!

Boxes go in the trash lol

19. Tekmen

Tekmen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So sorry if I was overreacting. I just had higher expectation on MT.

Yes, it is 3rd party. However there're two kinds of 3rd party IMO:
    FJPish/TFCish - give the existing character/concept an overhaul, down to the appearance detailing and engineering, make it looks so much like the original, yet nothing is identical.
    I-Gearish - take the existing mold, add on some different sculpts, maybe shrink the model, but keep the 80% of the original intact. ( Right, I-Gear is having more original designs now, and I love that not-Ironhide. But they're still the leader of this field :p  )

To me, MT was more like FPJ's duplicate: the morden style of designs, nice graphic on packages etc. And I prefer GIANT's individual robots over HERCULES.
    But now, this boxart is plagiarizing, from two of my favorite artists ( >_<). Also I love to do drawings, sooo dislike plagiarism in comissions.
    Yeah, it's just the boxart, big deal. I'm just saying, MT could be better than this.

20. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a really common practice in the manga world and since MakeToys is a japanese company, I'm don't find this odd at all.