MakeToys Galaxy Force Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Sep 30, 2017.

1. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I have the same feeling about this, actually. I still own the original figures of both this and Megatron (both decos!), and they're both such excellent designs that an update would have to be flawless for me to sink money into it. Yeah, they have their flaws, but I have my doubts that Maketoys can beat Megatron's original head sculpt based on their past designs. I'm still intrigued by their Galaxy Force Style Starcream because of the relatively cheap price, but I have Cybertron Optimus armed with Leobreaker and Megalo Convoy's Axe posed by my desk lamp and getting a third party update of that would probably well over $300. Still, if they can do these updates right (and manage a good face sculpt for Megatron) I'd definitely be at least somewhat interested, and I'm glad that another company has gone onto something other than just more G1 figures. I guess these, if they go into production, are more for the collectors who missed out on the originals. It does strike me as odd that of all the designs in Cybertron that could use help, they chose the two who arguably need it the least, but that's probably because Optimus and Megatron=Sales. So, here's hoping these sell well and we get a Flame Convoy update with better articulation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm down for CHUGsterpiece scale. Whatever keeps it under 200 dollars. So, no sound chips or anything. I know I just said I wanted all the gimmicks back, but unless they can replicate the skreeeeBOOM of the ladder gun they can keep the budget.

So, not to be that guy. But with the announcement of an Optimus, they've now essentially committed to a Wingsaber, a Leobreaker (and Nemesis Breaker too presumably), a Vector Prime and Safeguard (because damnit if I can't replicate the end of Cybertron with one Optimus and Megatron pair), and possibly even a Metroplex if they want to really milk the original play pattern. Of those Vector (for the sculpt and the sword) and Wingsaber (for being one of the few toys as singularly excellent as OP that year) are the two I'm looking forward to the most.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL ヤマト2202

I would love to get one if the price is right and they have a Sonic Bomber out already they belong together.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't get all the "the originals were so good, how can MT improve them?"

Ankle tilts. That right there is the difference between "good enough for a kid to play with" and "adult collectible that might get a spot on my shelves."

• Like Like x 9
  5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Right there with ya man.

Yes, the original toys were good, but these will be masterpieces. :) 

• Like Like x 9
  6. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Come oooon Leo Breaker

• Like Like x 1
  7. trey carter

trey carter Ladiesman217

Ebay:
    A proper savage claw mode that actually resembles the cartoon model and functions as an articulated arm......HEEEELLLOOO lol

• Like Like x 3
  8. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    I mean, yeah, I'm not debating that there are multiple ways of improving the original Galaxy Convoy. Hell, I love me a good ab crunch, but it'd take more than an ab crunch to get me to replace something like DX9's Carry with another Rodimus Prime.

But there's gotta be some kind of baseline, and it baffles me that anyone would say a toy without ankle tilts is good enough that MT couldn't really improve on it. MT could do nothing but give the original toy ankle tilts and it'll be a hundred times better. Ankle tilts are the baseline.

9. lordcryotek

I have three reasons:
    1. I just re-bought Optimus and Cybertron Galvatron last year and I'm cheap and don't want to spend money I don't have.
    2. Maketoys has iffy face-sculpts in general. They're fine with faceplates, so I'm sure Optimus will turn out great, but hey, OG Megatron has one of the best facesculpts of all time and he already has ankle tilts, aside from head articulation and torso-gap filling, I don't need much more.
    3. Learn to haggle, people! You don't go into the dealership and say "OH MY GOD THAT CAR IS BEAUTIFUL I'LL PAY YOU WHATEVER." You point out flaws, and see if you can get them to drop the price or throw in a little something. Make them work for it, you know?

I personally really want this line to succeed because there are a bunch of other A/E/C designs I want Chugsterpieces of, so I might end up with at least Optimus, if he's not too expensive.

10. IanAdams

IanAdams Secret Octopus

There are plenty of people, and this definitely describes a lot of Prime collectors, who don't really give a shit about replacing. They just buy cool toys. They're happy to have this on their shelf next to Galaxy Convoy next to Hybrid Style Galaxy Convoy. I understand if "best representation" is something that matters in your collection, and why that changes your standard for buying a new toy, but generally speaking, already having an Optimus Prime has not stopped a good number of people from buying another Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 5
  11. trey carter

trey carter Ladiesman217

Ebay:
    Lorrddd get this man some Ankle tilts NOW!!!!! all jokes aside though, as some one said ankle tilts, waiste swivel, ab crunch, articulated hands,etc. these are all things that could EASILY add to the original mold!

• Like Like x 1
  12. mikeszekely

Ebay:
    No, I bought my car after doing some research on the car I wanted with the features and trim I wanted, went to the dealer with a price range in mind, and when the dealer made me an offer in that range I bought it. I didn't say, "no thanks, this 10 year old car that cost a third when it was new and is missing half the awesome features that the new one has is good enough! In fact, I'm not even sure how you'd improve upon it!"

MT is guaranteed to add half of that stuff, and they're they guys that usually do the other half. If MT can deliver in the $120-$140 range they've got themselves a sale, as far as I'm concerned.

13. lordcryotek

My point was more to say "Let's not go throwing our money at something we don't even know for sure will be objectively better." And, for that matter, being picky about the cost actually allowed for the cheaper release of their Starscream, and yeah, at the cheaper price I actually do plan on buying it so long as it doesn't sell out crazy fast. So, being cautious has its rewards, but I reiterate that I want this line to succeed.

I can't do much about my honest enjoyment of an old toy, which is why I separated those points out purposefully, because they are separate contributing factors. The old mold is chunky, easy to play with, and I already have it and love it. These are two of my favorite all-time molds, so nostalgia is definitely at play here, if I'm going to spend money on an update, it's gotta be perfect in my eyes, and we haven't even seen prototypes yet.

I like most of Maketoys' figures that have face plates, so Galaxy Convoy is a very likely purchase if the price is reasonable to me. If not, too bad, but its not like this is a necessity. Megatron, I'm not nearly as sure, I have yet to see a Maketoys face sculpt that I was 100% happy with, their recent Stepper reveal comes the closest. For me, a good headsculpt is more important than added articulation or even the alt mode, my latest purchase was MMC's Tyrantron almost entirely because of the amazingly well-sculpted head, despite the fact his alt mode is fairly mediocre.
    What can I say, my grandpa was a vintage car-salesmen, and before he passed he taught me the value of waiting for the right deal and being very particular, probably because he grew up super poor. Again, I want this line to succeed, I just think that part of getting something to succeed is to respond to criticisms and work on improving them, and it actually looks like they're doing that as their prices are more reasonable and their face sculpts are actually getting better.

14. TCJJ

TCJJ 105% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Since everyone is arguing over whether or not the original toy was good enough, I wanted to chime in as someone who was actually a child back in 2005 when Cybertron Optimus Prime came out (and I got it for my birthday): the toy was fun but even at the time, it was rather limited and clunky, and I often felt myself wanting more from it, both in engineering and design, and most certainly in articulation.
    Granted, I wasn't like most children - specifically, I was never content with what something could do and always wanted it to do more - but regardless, from a child's perspective, though I loved it, I always thought it could have been done better.

And now that's being done. So as a grown man, I look forward to playing with this thing for hours on end and experiencing the improvements I've waited 12 years for.

• Like Like x 3
  15. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Being a stickler for toon accuracy, Cybertron was great and may have had the least differences between it's toys and the figures on screen with minor things like proportions and necks being the only noticeable tweaks made to make the characters look better. A Master Megatron that can cross/fold his arms and matches the CGI colours and proportions would be boss.

mastermeg.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    The wait on this is going to be hell...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cyberrabbits

Cyberrabbits Well-Known Member

But you'll have that money ready when preorder hits stores.

18. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And don't forget his loose hips!!! It drove me crazy even as a kid that optimus wouldn't stand up straight in super mode!!!

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Looking forward to seeing proto pics of this guy.

Hopefully it won't be TOO long of a wait...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It took what, a year for us to see Galaxy Meteor?

of course, he started as an April Fools' joke & this thing is starting off as a real project...

• Like Like x 1