Maketoys Devastator really messes up my TFC Devastator purchasing decision

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I have already been debating buy TFC Devy as I am in love with the G1 Devy with the Crazy Devy parts. But I was going to buy TFC Devy and use him as a MP figure. He is really nice, it's just he is a IDW Devy and not really a MP Devy as he is not really Cartoon accurate. Then Maketoys releases their mock up.

The thing that is frustrating is this:
    1- We still haven't seen the full TFC Devy yet. We don't know about articulation, size and so on and are expected to pay $600.
    2- The Maketoys one won't be out for another year at least.
    3- If I decide to wait to see what Maketoys does, and I don't like it, I may never be able to afford the TFC Devy ever again depending on the release numbers they do.
    4- If I do buy TFC Devy and the Maketoys version comes out and is amazing, I may lose a lot of money trying to sell it off in the long run. Maybe all together as we don't know the QA of this thing.

Who else is in the same boat. Seems like you can get screwed either way. This is why I wish these companies would release anything else besides Devastator.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm going with the TFC version because I like what I've seen of the individual bots. I also like what Devastator's upper half looks like. I'm eager to see what this other one looks like, though.

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't faze me in the least. TFC's version is a very Classics-styled updated to the Big-D, which is my primary focus line. While MakeToys' design drawing looks nice, it's very G1, which is not my preferred aesthetic at this point.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I agree, it's tough, but the thing is we've only seen a picture from MakeToy. With TFC we kinda know what to expect (not everything though, but a damn good assumption). Who knows when MakeToy will release their Devi, if they will, or what type of figure it really is gonna be.

I'm sticking with TFC.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    all those are valid concerns. I guess I never thought about it because I made my decisions as such:

1. When TFC Devy announced: I decided I will buy it no matter what.
    2. When Maketoys Devy is shown today: I decided I will buy both TFC and this one.

So there wasn't really any conflict. If only one can be classics devy I suppose I can just commission someone to repaint the lesser of the two into the G2 version.

Oh, and we have seen the full toros + an arm and a leg I thought for TFC?

6. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    5. Your like me and as long as it's Green/Purple constructicons you don't care and are happy to buy it.

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TFC Devastator is out of my price range, period.

MakeToys Devastator is an unknown quantity. It will be good and affordable, or it won't.

8. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the same problem with literally every other consumer product.

"I can buy an HDTV now, or buy a SUPER TV in 5 years."

The solution? Plan ahead to the best of your ability. I think we'll have a pretty good sense of the quality of TFC's not-Devastator with the first figure, so you can use that as your early warning system.

9. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I wouldn't sweat the MakeToys Devy until you see some actual figure prototypes. Right now, all you have is a drawing. Sure it looks nice but there's no guarantee the figures will look like that at all.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    you wont lose money, i can almost guarantee you'll be able to sell them for more than you paid for them.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, lately I have been thinking:

- College for the little one
    - Retirement fund
    - Shelter
    - Food
    - Other

With these combiners running $600 a pop, its kinda trying to decide to not hurt the other items.

12. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to wait to see maketoys. Like I said in the other thread. I hope we get a gift set of the TFC one around the time Maketoys version comes out. By then I would be able decide if I want the TFC one or not. If they don't come ourlt with a gift set
    I'm screwed. I have Insecticons and MP Rodimus to worry about right now. Devs can wait.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    All of these (aside from what others is), are much more important, so I would agree with you, that they take precedence =) If you can't afford, you can't afford, that's that.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm fine with the Landfill repaints and the Micromaster combiner repaints. :) 

15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well there is affording it, and there is "shit I spent $1,200 on two of almost the same toy." That is like a 1/4th of the cost of my total collection.

That is either an:
    - IPad2 with a shit load of apps
    - New computer
    - A 55" Plasma TV
    - A pretty darn good surround system
    - A decent vacation for 1

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    lol no I don't want to see this list of "what my plastic crack could have been"!

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Hahahah, man, I think about that sometimes. I love my figures and they always make me happy when I come into my office.

But, I will say I always think how I would get so much more use out of other things I could spent that money on.

If you wnat to feel better, all the stuff I listed would all resell at dirt cheap prices. Your TF collection would sell at decent price at least.

I recently sold my old reciever, tv monitor and laptop. I could barely get enough to get a PS3 for that.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When you take that on a global-political level, things get really ugly...

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's a good point actually, guys. I should really get a lot of my old stuff up for sale. Not that I need the money, but I'm only displaying about a tenth of it.

And who knows, maybe I won't be happy with the Landfill repaint once I see reviews of the new not-Devastators, or ideally a Classics set of new molds. But I can always let go of it if and when that time comes.

20. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For me, it's a no-brainer: I already decided that I simply did not care for the TFC Hercules design since individual Constructicons are highly reminiscent of RiD/Armada/Energon styling/engineering and bear little resemblance to their G1 counterparts; they are most definitely not classics designs.

I'll wait to see if MakeToys' Devastator ever sees the light of the day. If it does, and the styling is close to what was shown in that sketch, I'm going to buy it. I am hoping that its height will be similar to FP Bruticus, but I won't mind if it's slightly smaller or larger.